SV Portal Forums banner

Hey all! New Owner of K5 and a couple of Q's

939 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  viking30 
#1 ·
Hello and Good morning all!

New SV1K owner after a long lay off from bikes (and an ill fated, 2 month dalliance with an 07 Z750...yuk)..

I'm LUVVIN this bike, its spot on for me. V-twin loveliness, neutral handling - no over steer, understeer, wobbling free! (sing that like the Wombles theme and you'll get the idea of the Z) and still plenty of MPH to play about with the Gixxers and R's...

Now, its a K5 and has seen better days so i have new tyres, pads and HEL brake lines all on their way but I have bumped into a cosmetic hiccup.

She had a nasty Carbon-look paper wrap along the swingarm which was tatty as hell and had to go. peeling it away has stripped the paint right down the metal in ALOT of places along both arms. Dammit... I've burnt all my cash on the aforementioned rubber and lines etc so cant look at powder coating -(also i dont want the bike VOR'd for a week or two messing about) so am looking at a make do, rattle can spray over in situ just to last the summer before I pull it allllllll apart over the off season.

I'm hoping you guys can help with some advice.. (i have searched before registering and asking btw...). Newb q first.. is the arm ally or steel?? (i am that stupid)

Anyone rattle can'd a swingarm in situ before? Best paint and primer?

any advice or pointing me at some links would be most appreciated!

Also, she's 32k miles old and is still standard pipes.. there is a throttle 'glitch' between 5500 and 6000 rpm. She'll miss a beat or even do a double surge for a rev or two right at that point almost every time. I've been conscious to make sure its not me being a ham fisted fool with the throttle so am wondering if its a known fuelling thing at that rpm or i have a repeatable misfire.

Would new plugs go amiss or is it a tough sh!t moment and wait till i can get a PC, cans and filter fitted and sort the mapping?

so, hello everyone again and I hope you can come up with some good suggestions for me!

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the Forum!:)

The swingarm is aluminum...and should be easy to rattle-can acceptably to get you through the summer. Factory paint is like a semi-gloss for what that's worth.

Seeing as this bike is new to you, unless you absolutely know the PO maintained it properly...I'd go through the valve adjustment check, fresh plugs and synch the throttles...then set the TPS and it should run as it should. Be sure to check for vacuum leaks in any of the hoses or caps over unused vacuum nipples.

The 'glitch' from 5500-6000 could be when the ECU switches over from Speed Density mapping to Alpha-N. It should be smooth enough to not be a bother, but if it's acting like it's struggling then something might be off. Is the airbox stock? Snorkel still in place? Removing it can cause fueling glitches that the stock ECU programming might have problems with.

The throttle bodies incorporate secondary throttles ...STV's...which are there mostly to comply with noise emission regulations. If you happen to run the engine at the same rpm's where the testing would take place, the STV's very well might not open when you want them to leading to a hesitation. Many here have removed them with great satisfaction and the engine will run a bit more 'freely' without their restrictions. Otherwise...just give it a good once over and make sure all tune-up items are in spec and enjoy the ride.:)

#3 ·
ok, thanks for that info.. A fair amount for me to check on the glitch.. I'm not handy with spanners so I will need to find a cleverer man than me close by who can have a check over those items you list. I'm just the dude in the seat, never been able to fix them!

She does run fine enough and the brief hiccup at those specific revs isnt a real issue, more a little splash of character! She's no young 'un and allowed to be a little cranky!

and thanks for the swingarm info. I shall get some etch primer and some satin/semi gloss. Then when the wheel comes out for the new rubber, I'll make a mess of the garage.

thanks again for the reply! :)

#4 ·
so am looking at a make do, rattle can spray over in situ just to last the summer before I pull it allllllll apart over the off season.
Hi and welcome to the forum.
I'm a new k5 owner after a lay off for 10 years. The swinging arm on mine is peeling here and there too. I bought a swinging arm off Ebay very cheap and am getting that powder coated at the moment. That way I can prep everything before stripping down and just change over. A right bugger to get the cush bearings out without causing damage. In the end I gave up and cut them out with a small grinder and just bought two new cush bearings :pistols:
The bigger arm pivot bearings were much easier.
Hope all goes well with the bike and there is so much help here.

#5 ·
Ah right, good info! Thanks for that.

Im just gonna get the bare basics sorted (hence tyres and brakes first) and then look to see how I get on across this summer. If the money works out then i will probably look to do the rear shock and uprate the forks somehow. I'm not inclined to go for the full GSXR front end but would look to go for new internals. I like a standard looking bike and USD would be a little beyond me for the whole triple tree, bearings and what not... Like I says, i'm just the nut holding the handlebars.

Local mechanics luv me with all the basic servicing and easy jobs I pay for. Fitting new brake lines is juuuuust about my limit and even then I'm finding a mate who's done it recently to supervise.

i always find a local bike guy who makes a living fixing and servicing stuff. Keeps the money in the people you know and keeps their ride going good too!

#6 ·
Nothing wrong with knowing your limits and getting the job done right. I can do most things but taking my bike in to the local tech here to get the carb bodies sync done next week. Never done it before and might as well get it done right :niceone:
Just wondered why you getting a new rear shock and fork internals? Maybe they just need setting up? There is a great deal of info here on setting up suspension. I found mine was miles out and after adjusting made a hell of a difference.
:cheers:

#7 ·
The rear shock is pretty much at the top of the adjust for rebound damping and its still a bit fast. The factory setting is only 3/4 of a turn off the top according to some info i gleaned from an old service manual. that strikes me as a bit daft.. not a lot left to play with.

Spring rate seems ok so i will have a play with the preload as i get more miles on the road..

Front end also seems ok but with new tyres and brake lines going on next week I shall see if anything needs tweaking.i do like messing with things and when i do start twiddling the front i'll see how much adjust i have and work it from there.

i have immersed myself in the forum and read up on all manner of things like linear or progressive springs, all the engine tweaks available etc but for the next coupe of weeks its tyres, brakes and then lots of leaning and grinning!

#8 ·
Welcome mate!

I'm also new to the forums and an 05 SV. Sounds like you're just as excited as i am to tinker with your new toy.
I cant speak for paint peeling but i have done some painting on it recently.
I have the black frame and the red paint work, didn't really like the silver forks though.
I've just painted them and went over the exhaust headers with high temp black paint also it looks better than new.

I've also painted car tyre rims over the years an found in my experience that caliper paint is easier to use than almost anything else.
It blows on really smooth and the finished product is outstanding. Like any painting just make sure you put the time
into your prep. For the forks all i did was use turps and went over it twice with a new clean cloth.

I hope you have success with your adventures mate.

Stay safe
-Cain

#9 ·
Thanks for the tips, Cain. I think the tyres are coming over from Germany so I may just pull the wheel out this weekend seeing that the weather has gone for a few days and give the spraying a whirl... Must remember to move the lawnmower before painting tho. otherwise thats gonna get a good coat too!

#10 ·
Funny you should say that. I've just been spraying some original dog bones that I got from the previous owner. I'm going to put back on next week but thought I'd tart them up a bit. While spraying I noticed the part of the handle on the lawn mower is now looking better than it did :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.