Replacing bar end weights - SV1000 Portal

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 12th February 2011, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Moped rider

♂ England
Middle England
Replacing bar end weights

I have bought some Bike-it bar end weights, these are shaped like the ones in the picture, but when removing the standard ones from the bike they are flat witth out the mushroom stalk bit.

I have been sent bar end weights that dont fit even though the packet say they do or is there something else I need to remove?

Cheers Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bar ends.jpg (16.3 KB, 25 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 12th February 2011, 03:04 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Canada
Waterdown, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by baggy View Post
I have bought some Bike-it bar end weights, these are shaped like the ones in the picture, but when removing the standard ones from the bike they are flat witth out the mushroom stalk bit.

I have been sent bar end weights that dont fit even though the packet say they do or is there something else I need to remove?

Cheers Rob
Yep, you have to remove the clip-ons. The end weights you have just purchased insert into a 7'8" handlebar.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Past bikes: 78 Desert Fox 80cc, 80 Kawi G5C, 82 GS400E, 86 VFR750, 92 GSXR1100, 92 FZR1000, 90 KX250, 90 KX125, 94 RF900R, 92 KX250, 97 TL1000S, 90 RM250, 93 RM 250, 97 YZF750R, 98 TL1000S, 04 VN2000, 06 V-Strom, 99 TL1000R, 2003 Volusia. Currently another fantastic 2004 Vulcan 2000, and this awesome 2003 SV1000S.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 12th February 2011, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Moped rider

♂ England
Middle England
Cheers Red Dog.

The ones in the photo arent the exact ones it was just to show you the shape.

So if I remove the clip ons I can then fit the bar ends?

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 12th February 2011, 04:49 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Canada
Waterdown, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by baggy View Post
Cheers Red Dog.

The ones in the photo arent the exact ones it was just to show you the shape.

So if I remove the clip ons I can then fit the bar ends?
The stock clip-ons have a theaded insert to accomodate the stock end weights (as you've seen). You can most likely drill/dremel the welded end out of the clip-ons so you can change to a universal bar end but you have to justify if it's worth the effort. I am unsure about the availability of replacement bar ends that use the stock threaded mounts but there may be some options. Most people fit aftermarket bar ends to aftermarket clip-ons or handlebars. Remember that with aftermarket ends you won't have the extra weight that dampens vibration. You may not like it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Past bikes: 78 Desert Fox 80cc, 80 Kawi G5C, 82 GS400E, 86 VFR750, 92 GSXR1100, 92 FZR1000, 90 KX250, 90 KX125, 94 RF900R, 92 KX250, 97 TL1000S, 90 RM250, 93 RM 250, 97 YZF750R, 98 TL1000S, 04 VN2000, 06 V-Strom, 99 TL1000R, 2003 Volusia. Currently another fantastic 2004 Vulcan 2000, and this awesome 2003 SV1000S.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 12th February 2011, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Moped rider

♂ England
Middle England
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDog View Post
The stock clip-ons have a theaded insert to accomodate the stock end weights (as you've seen). You can most likely drill/dremel the welded end out of the clip-ons so you can change to a universal bar end but you have to justify if it's worth the effort. I am unsure about the availability of replacement bar ends that use the stock threaded mounts but there may be some options. Most people fit aftermarket bar ends to aftermarket clip-ons or handlebars. Remember that with aftermarket ends you won't have the extra weight that dampens vibration. You may not like it.
Cheers Red dog

Thank you for all your help
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 12th February 2011, 06:05 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ England
Tring, Hertfordshire
I fitted these to my 05 with no problems except needing different bolts

http://www.phoenixnw.co.uk/yoshimura/bar-ends
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 12th February 2011, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Moped rider

♂ England
Middle England
oooo I like the look of those
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 12th February 2011, 06:29 PM
sog
Hardcore Biker

♂ England
Bridlington,East Yorks
Remove the centre bolt on the new weights and remove the stalk as it were then the new weights will bolt to threaded insert in the clip on ,you may need a longer bolt tho
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 12th February 2011, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Moped rider

♂ England
Middle England
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog View Post
Remove the centre bolt on the new weights and remove the stalk as it were then the new weights will bolt to threaded insert in the clip on ,you may need a longer bolt tho
Cheers Sog I hadnt thought about sawing off the stalks
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 12th February 2011, 06:38 PM
sog
Hardcore Biker

♂ England
Bridlington,East Yorks
You probably wont need to saw anything off them as there is probably enough recess in the clip on to take the weight bit of the stalk just removing the rubber expanding bit should do the trick
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 21st July 2016, 04:14 PM
L-Plate Rider

♂ United States
Edmonds, WA, just north of Seattle, Washington
SV1000s Bar End romoval difficulties

Hello SVers,

I have bought some new bar ends, but I am having a dickens of a time getting the factory ends off. The black ones, and the Phillips head screw to get out is nearly impossible without stripping the bloody thing...

Looking to fellow SVers for ideas, advice, words of guidance? Is there anything simple? It doesn't seam like it should be that difficult?

Thanks,

patr16cks
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 21st July 2016, 09:25 PM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by patr16cks View Post
Hello SVers,

I have bought some new bar ends, but I am having a dickens of a time getting the factory ends off. The black ones, and the Phillips head screw to get out is nearly impossible without stripping the bloody thing...

Looking to fellow SVers for ideas, advice, words of guidance? Is there anything simple? It doesn't seam like it should be that difficult?

Thanks,

patr16cks

Heat them up and use a manual impact and they come right out.

-ms

post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 15th May 2017, 12:19 AM
L-Plate Rider

ok, so sorry for the aged thread bump but i have got a small problem and this was the closest subject...

SV1K S, standard bar ends.. Left hand was spinning so i nipped up the allen bolt no problem, alll snug. It was spinning again after todays ride so I thought, easy peasy, just nip up the bolt again.

Nope, no nipping this time... Allen bolt just turned and turned. Darn.

I then undid the whole bolt to take the bar end off completely and thats when it went weird. A powdery dust was coming out on the thread of the allen bolt. Not metal, almost like a hard rubbery dust. With the bar end off, inside the bar was 'something'. Cant work out if its a goop thats gone hard or some other substance but there is no threaded insert for the allen bolt to go into. Its only when i started reading here that i find out the standard clipon is solid? and should have a threaded hole for the allen bolt to simply go into.

I should point out there are heated grips on the bike (dont laugh, already installed by the time i got there) so it has an Oxford grip but its the left side, thats just a bigger grip with elements glued onto the clip on, right?

Anyone got any idea what's going on on the inside? What should i see on a standard clip on?

If i can i want to put the standard bar end back on (for the weight and i dont like carbon/anodised bling) but i have nothing to screw into that i can see.

Please dont tell me its a new clip on needed.... thats another chunk of cash that would stop the new tailcans fund from growing!
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 15th May 2017, 02:03 AM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by A272SV1K View Post
ok, so sorry for the aged thread bump but i have got a small problem and this was the closest subject...

SV1K S, standard bar ends.. Left hand was spinning so i nipped up the allen bolt no problem, alll snug. It was spinning again after todays ride so I thought, easy peasy, just nip up the bolt again.

Nope, no nipping this time... Allen bolt just turned and turned. Darn.

I then undid the whole bolt to take the bar end off completely and thats when it went weird. A powdery dust was coming out on the thread of the allen bolt. Not metal, almost like a hard rubbery dust. With the bar end off, inside the bar was 'something'. Cant work out if its a goop thats gone hard or some other substance but there is no threaded insert for the allen bolt to go into. Its only when i started reading here that i find out the standard clipon is solid? and should have a threaded hole for the allen bolt to simply go into.

I should point out there are heated grips on the bike (dont laugh, already installed by the time i got there) so it has an Oxford grip but its the left side, thats just a bigger grip with elements glued onto the clip on, right?

Anyone got any idea what's going on on the inside? What should i see on a standard clip on?

If i can i want to put the standard bar end back on (for the weight and i dont like carbon/anodised bling) but i have nothing to screw into that i can see.

Please dont tell me its a new clip on needed.... thats another chunk of cash that would stop the new tailcans fund from growing!

Is the powdery stuff the thread locking compound often used on bar ends?
-ms

post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 15th May 2017, 09:36 AM
L-Plate Rider

Sadly not...... Closer inspection this morning shows that I have fallen victim to a previous bodge job of some kind.

The goop looks like some kind of liquid metal/epoxy that the bar end allen bolt was simply pushed into and my previous nipping was the final strip...

I'm also thinking I dont have standard bars.. The have HEL stamped into them and rise up a couple of inches above the top triple clamp. Is that normal?

Not sure what to do now... I will have to get all that crap out of the end of the bar and work out what my options are. I'm pretty p!ssed about this as i dont think i will be able to avoid a new 'bar... 130 for a genuine one...

I'm almost inclined to re-bodge it.. more crap in, and do the same as the previous plum who did this...

Can someone point me at any kind of video or pictures that show me a standard bar end removal so i can see what i need to do to make as good a job as possible please? if someone were to whip off the left hand bar end and take some pictures i would be soooo grateful.

I've run out of time to pull the RHS off and see what's going on in there but that will be this afternoons task after the job interview i have. Priorities and all that!

as ever, any tips or bright ideas will be very gratefully received!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.