Suspension swap questions! First post! - SV1000 Portal
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 26th January 2017, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ United States
Virginia Beach, VA
Suspension swap questions! First post!

Hey all! First post here for a roughly 4mo lurker. Ive got an 06 1k with 14,700mi on the clock, purchased about 6mo ago. Love it, love it, love it! Its so charasmatic and easy to ride both agressively and clillaxedly lol. Only gripe I have is the suspension (go figure ?.)

As such, and after a good 3mo of online searching (mostly here and svrider) Ive decided and purchased my setup thatll hopefully fit the bill. Ive taken the route of swap rather than fix, knowing that Ill still want gsxr forks and r6 monos even if I fix the stock forks.

So, heres the list:
06 gsxr 1k fork set
R6 monoblocks
04/05 600/750 top triple (know about boring out stem hole)
Undecided on clip ons, no interest in bars
Zoran/twf caliper spacers
'08 zx6r rear shock-19k mi when pulled

Thats the plan so far. Now for questions:

Is a different mc required for the r6 monos, or is the sv usable in that situation?

As far as trail goes, for 06 gsxr1k forks, how much tube needs to protrude through top triple with the 08 zx6r shock installed?( not good at math, and info overload)

Recommendation on riser clips that are as close to stock sv rise?

Any other hints/tips prior to install? (That I wouldnt already know from hours upon hours of forum research)

Thanks all, and look forward to your replies. Also, thanks for all your help already from reading prev. threads. Take care and ride safe!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161118_104720_1485392906948.jpg (571.1 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 20161222_122808_1485392930969.jpg (521.8 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 20161103_170904_1485393000657.jpg (515.9 KB, 30 views)
slatanik likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 26th January 2017, 06:30 AM
Fair weather rider

♂ Czech Republic
Garage
I am actually in the middle of front end swap. Having GSXR 750 K8-L0 forks, R6 cals, 320 rotors, SV wheel and axle. Reasons for swap are the looks, better brakes, better suspension, uniqueness. What is your intention?

Here are some comments:
1) Go with later model forks if possible, they are ~732mm long. Early ones are really short (~720 or ~726mm). I measured mine stock SV and they are top of cap-axle center 740 compared to 732 the GSXR...hope I will manage to set up the geometry fine. Due to length you would have to set them flush with top triple or even a bit dive them. Eventually try to sniff out info about L1+ suspension.
2) Got also R6 calipers, but only because as I already had R6 radial master cylinder from previous upgrade. I would highly suggest to exchange the MC as well...not that SV's wouldn't work with them, but if you do things, do them properly. Go with R1/R6 or 19mm RCS, maybe 17mm Nissin would work fine (mid-later model GSXRs).
3) Clip-ons....TL1000S are almost direct swap, as far as you like SV riding position. They have a bit shorter bars and have slightly higher angle...should be still fine to fit even on S model.
4) Reconsider the rear shock. All info you can look up on the internet are for SV650, which have different shock then 1000 and I would say also different geometry for the linkage/swingarm. The SV1000 shock's the spring ratio is fine for average rider (80-120kg), yet does not apply that much of adjustability (understand as range of dampening adjustment)...still for street riding its fine. The ZX shock is too tough. I wanted to swap my rear shock as well, but put it aside as non-important for now.
5) Buy and swap stearing head bearings for sure. Be sure to have proper tools for the swap (wheel axle nut, socket/key/C-spanner for stearing stem nuts). Get really good machine shop for part adjustment.

A bit offtopic: I decided to keep SV axle, as my DIY bike stand requires large hole inside axle (GSXR has small hole). So I had to let machine shop also mill one GSXR axle clamp for larger (SV) diameter. Unfortunatelly for me...they f*cked up and its a bit off - the new hole axis is not parallel with the old hole axis. This lead for the axle clamp to twist a little and therefore moving brake caliper a bit aside....the alignment with brake rotor is not perfect, not center-center. Gotta think through, what shall I do with it...the heck, its part of braking system and it must be done properly. So, lessons learned? Get proper machine shop and re-ashure they can do, what you want.

EDIT: Added more photos. A special stearing nut key for 1/2" ratchet, which I let to be cut from 3mm stainless steel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20161227_170256.jpg (492.7 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20161227_170229.jpg (492.0 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20161221_145936.jpg (495.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170116_081519.jpg (448.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170119_165818.jpg (453.4 KB, 29 views)
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 26th January 2017, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ United States
Virginia Beach, VA
Great info Hasha! Thanks for taking the time to do that much of a write up for me.

Good to know about the mc. Ive believe Ive read in the past on whos knows what thread Longhair saying the stock mc was adequate, but as stated info overload, so I may be mistaken. Also, hope I can keep it as such, cuz asv c5 levers arent cheap!, and Id probly have to get a different one for a different mc. Glad you got the silver r6 blocks, I did as well but was unsure how theyd look on bike vs gold, seeing your pic confirmed my choice.

The chosen forks and and rear shock were primarily based on stock spring rates and damping ability, with cost factored in as well. Stock SR meaning closest needed for my weight from the factory. Racetech calls for if I remember w/o re-looking it up .93 front and 9.2 rear. 06 gsx1k front are .95 according to the infamous swap permutation chart, and the zx6r is a 9.1, so Im in close proximity to needed springs right out of the gate. As the bike sits now I get epic pogoing from the rear, and damn near bottoming out from the front on braking. With gear Im 240-50ish (not lard, Im 6'4 lol) Ive been through many a thread about guys my weight loving the 6r shock, which influenced my purchase.

As far as trail, Im not beyond fork extenders if I need them, Id really like to keep the 06 forks. I know looks are trivial to performance, but I fell in love with the bronze stanchion and black tube. Also, according to seller, the bike these were pulled from, owner apparently went track bike ohlins on it as soon as purchased, so the forks are damn near brand new. When was the last time you saw 11yo red anodized preload adjusters that are cherry red and not faded out??? I know I havent...
Plus, steering stops are completely unscathed, stock top triple has no scratches, and no scuffs or scratches on the black axle clamps. The price point was there, and couldnt find any as clean as these for the same price.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 26th January 2017, 07:00 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Alameda, CA
Garage
I'd recommend going with 06-09 600/750 forks instead. They're a little longer. I have 07 750 forks on mine (and I believe 600 has .90 and 750 1.0 per Racetech), paid $100. My understanding is that the 600/750 forks are better than the 1000 forks regarding valving too.

I also have R6 calipers. My recollection is that I have no spacers on them, with a stock front wheel/rotors.

I'd expect 11 year old forks to need a refresh - the seals will most likely start leaking once you start using them.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 27th January 2017, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ United States
Virginia Beach, VA
Thanks Junkie. At minimum seals were on the list, if not maybe a revalve, time will tell. Ive already purchased the 1k forks, so I do appreciate your recommendation, but Im going to try and make these work. Im aware the showas are better, but with my riding (maybe 1 track day a year) I doubt Ill be wishing for them. At first, I was stuck between the 08+ 6/750 legs and the 1k's, but just couldnt find them at the correct price point for budget and condition.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 27th January 2017, 07:00 AM
Fair weather rider

♂ Czech Republic
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vbchef View Post
Good to know about the mc. Ive believe Ive read in the past on whos knows what thread Longhair saying the stock mc was adequate, but as stated info overload, so I may be mistaken. Also, hope I can keep it as such, cuz asv c5 levers arent cheap!, and Id probly have to get a different one for a different mc. Glad you got the silver r6 blocks, I did as well but was unsure how theyd look on bike vs gold, seeing your pic confirmed my choice.
You are welcome, no problem.

Well, I was looking for silver R6 cals for long time, as I wanted to keep black-silver-copper color scheme for my SV - the gold ones were out of discussion.

I got chinese levers for 15USD and they are quite fine.

The proper combination of master cylinder and calipers is crucial. SV is designed to be sport-touring bike, so they make brakes to be not that agressive. This is a result of caliper and master cylinder selection. See attached table...it just verify that 16mm (5/8) is "ok" for SV calipers, but it is not perfect.

If I didn't already have the R6 MC, I wouldn't have gone with R6 cals...better combo would be old or "new" GSXR black Tokicos + RCS/Accossato or GSXR newer 19mm (3/4) MC. Why? Because of total caliper piston size...they are larger diameter and technically allow to create more force on pads, while keeping same presure in the hydraulic system...and it is good to avoid really high presures here.

Attached MC/caliper overview and front end pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20161227_173024.jpg (500.1 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg MC caliper.jpg (134.4 KB, 33 views)
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 27th January 2017, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ United States
Virginia Beach, VA
Well, like I said with the forks, and I believe with you as well its also a visual upgrade, which is one reason for the r6 brakes over the gixxer's car-looking calipers. But, of course Id like to make them work as intended as well. So, I may go ahead and get r6 mc as well. Thanks for the chart, neat info there. Ive had experience between a 09 gsxr 750 and 10 r6 on windy roads a few years ago swapping bikes with friends on a ride, personal preference I quite enjoyed the r6 grabbers better. Thats just personal feel between the 2. Both stock lines/pads/rotors. Was another deciding factor once I learned that was a doable swap.

Where did you get your rotors? Ive seen them on the ebays, same design for 190 with matching rear, but from china... any good?
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 28th January 2017, 02:51 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Alameda, CA
Garage
I forgot to mention that I run a GSXR radial master with R6 calipers. I had an R6 master sitting around and found that it required more travel than I like. I then found a deal on a 2012 Daytona 675R Brembo radial master ($100, with a switch) but haven't gotten around to swapping it - I need to pick up a double banjo bold with the right thread pitch.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 29th January 2017, 08:02 AM
Fair weather rider

♂ Czech Republic
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vbchef View Post
Where did you get your rotors? Ive seen them on the ebays, same design for 190 with matching rear, but from china... any good?
Yup, they are China eBay ones...GSXR 1000 K1-K2 for like 190USD total including import taxes.

I had to solve rotors somehow. The SVs were in quite good condition (straight, ~4,7mm thickness), but they were really free in rivets...I would say 1mm radial gap. Talked to a company in CZE, which makes rotors, custom rotors and rotor repairs....ended up with re-riveting offer for 110USD total.

Then decided to look for new rotors and got the eBay ones in the eye. Looked over various forums for experiences and oppinion about them and got more or less positive feedbacks, so giving it a try.

I would say, they will be fine. Just need to use good pads (got original Sumitomo in R6 calipers & also that company above is selling Nissing, Sumitomo and other OEM pads as well). In worst case I put back the original rotors back.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 31st January 2017, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ United States
Virginia Beach, VA
Cool cool. Like I said, the ones on ebay were 190 shipped, look exactly the same as yours. Though, theyre listed specifically for an sv1k, and ship out of California rather than overseas. (Im on east coast USA) Noob question: The pads that came on the r6 calipers look damn near new, I mean theyve got a good 1/2" thick pad to them. But, the pad surface is obviously used, but in good shape. Would I be able to use them effectively, or could they be subject abnormal affects as they were used on a different rotor other than my own? I know the recommended practice is new pads with such a thing, but I feel as though itd be a waste if I didnt use them since they have so much life left...
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 31st January 2017, 12:01 PM
Fair weather rider

♂ Czech Republic
Garage
I bought the GSXR1000 K1-K2 because they are 320mm, unlike 310mm SV So 7mm spacers instead of 2mm ones (see pics) and also different screws - M10x1,25x75 (+5mm length compared to GSXR or R6 ones).

Pads used on different rotors can be re-used, but you must give them a good clean with brake cleaner to remove remains of old rotor material - rub them softly, don't leave scarves.

Also I will have to go for good breaking procedure for pads and rotors to fit each other. Then I should be fine.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 2nd February 2017, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ United States
Virginia Beach, VA
Hasha, youve been a great help so far, thank you. I figured it would be "ok" as long as they werent too far gone, jist wasnt sure. Not a huge deal if theyre sloppy and need new ones, but figured if I got em, use em. I test fitted the new stuffs yesterday, everything is lookin good so far. Still need to make a decision on clipons, get ss lines, and put together.

As far as lentgh w/o doing custom lines, should I do gsxr or sv lines? I would assume gsxr since the radial calipers are mounted lower, therefore longer line needed. Probly go with spiegler, as I have their clutch line already and its quite nice. Will most likely keep sv mc to test and see if I like the feel, then go to r6/gsxr radial mc if sv one doesnt feel grabby enough. Currently have 05 750 top triple being bored out to fit the 1k stem, then we'll see what to do next.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170201_103430_1486064825108.jpg (506.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 20170201_094138_1486064923937.jpg (510.7 KB, 29 views)
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 2nd February 2017, 08:01 PM
Fair weather rider

♂ Czech Republic
Garage
Nice pics, like the "can-stand" Good you started, kind of envy you. It is -5C in my garage now...I am too lazy to go there in this weather.

Yeap, go ahead and use these pads. Just don't overload brakes early, till your R6 pads get used to these rotors. If you over-do it, you will fry them...as the pad is not perfectly fited to rotor, a heat spots could appear. These heat spots just destroy pads by making them really hard.

About lines...go for whatever will fit (with extended fork ofc).
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 3rd February 2017, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ United States
Virginia Beach, VA
Hahah thanks! The can stands came about cuz i was too lazy to go to the store and get cinder blocks lol, and already had them in the garage. Speaking of..... 23F (-5C) brrrrrrrrr! No thank you! Its gotten that cold here (Virginia Beach, VA, US) but thankfully previous house owner installed a natural gas ceramic heater on the wall. Totally worth it! Its just above the folded beach chair in the background of the pic with the whole bike.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 15th February 2017, 12:45 PM
Fair weather rider

♂ Czech Republic
Garage
So, what's up with your swap? Finished? Everything went fine? Some pics

Btw, which clip-ons have you finally used?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.