Need help for chosing power commander for newly purchased 05 SV1000S - SV1000 Portal
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 70 (permalink) Old 4th April 2017, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ United States
Minnesota, US
Garage
Need help for chosing power commander for newly purchased 05 SV1000S

Hello all, glad to have found a forum that looks relatively active.
I just bought an 05 SV1000S with less than 10K Miles on it. It is not in perfect condition but it is in decent condition.
It currently has Micron cans installed which I had never heard of and when the bike is warming up there is just a slight hint of hesitation on the very low end. could be my mind playing tricks on me as this is the first vtwin i have ever owned though.
Question 1: Is a power commander module necessary? Currently the bike is all stock save for fender eliminator, handlebars, and some cheapo flush mount blinkers that were installed with a replacement sv650 fairing.
Question 2: If a power commander is going to be a good investment which one should I get? I have been looking on ebay for a while for one within the US and am having a hard time knowing which one will be a good fit for my bike. I would like to keep the price under $150 if someone want's to help me find one. Thanks!
Pic attached of my bikes. SV of course is front and center.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170401_225436 (2).jpg (532.4 KB, 28 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 (permalink) Old 4th April 2017, 03:42 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Downunder
Welcome aboard.
Not necessary on a properly running and set up bike. Do a throttle body balance, TPS adjustment and a new set of plugs and go from there.
For peace of mind search forum for green connector and rotor magnets and address those issues if they are present. These are about the only common faults that seem to crop up and could also cause the problem you describe.
trumindgame likes this.
post #3 of 70 (permalink) Old 4th April 2017, 04:15 AM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderthegoober View Post
Hello all, glad to have found a forum that looks relatively active.

I just bought an 05 SV1000S with less than 10K Miles on it. It is not in perfect condition but it is in decent condition.

It currently has Micron cans installed which I had never heard of and when the bike is warming up there is just a slight hint of hesitation on the very low end. could be my mind playing tricks on me as this is the first vtwin i have ever owned though.

Question 1: Is a power commander module necessary? Currently the bike is all stock save for fender eliminator, handlebars, and some cheapo flush mount blinkers that were installed with a replacement sv650 fairing.

Question 2: If a power commander is going to be a good investment which one should I get? I have been looking on ebay for a while for one within the US and am having a hard time knowing which one will be a good fit for my bike. I would like to keep the price under $150 if someone want's to help me find one. Thanks!

Pic attached of my bikes. SV of course is front and center.

I have a couple of used PCIII units here in my stash of stuff if interested.
-ms
trumindgame likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 70 (permalink) Old 4th April 2017, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ United States
Minnesota, US
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidt314 View Post
I have a couple of used PCIII units here in my stash of stuff if interested.
-ms
I would likely be interested for the right price and as long as I know everything I need is with it.
Few other questions though, I noticed today that it looks like some engine bolts are missing. wth? (see attached pics)
I can only assume some sort of frame slider was attached here before. I also noticed yesterday that I am missing some minor plastics by the side of the seat, nothing structural though so this isn't a huge concern of mine.
So naturally i go on the fleebay and look for frame sliders and found one but i cannot post it. this is the title of the listing New No Cut Black Frame Slider for Suzuki SV650/SV1000/DL650/DL1000 All Years
Is that what I need? Please be sure to check out the picture as the frame slider pics I am seeing elsehwere online look to be the next bolt back and not the very front one. Thoughts?

(EDIT): Looks like there are other bikes that have the slider on the very front so I am pretty sure that's what I need, will be buying that and other goodies later tonight.

(EDIT2): of course now I look further and I cannot see all the way through the front hole so the solid through bar design will not work. Now what?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170404_121905.jpg (537.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170404_121858.jpg (519.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170404_121850.jpg (524.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170404_121842.jpg (544.6 KB, 17 views)
post #5 of 70 (permalink) Old 4th April 2017, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ United States
Minnesota, US
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vic_bitter View Post
Welcome aboard.
Not necessary on a properly running and set up bike. Do a throttle body balance, TPS adjustment and a new set of plugs and go from there.
For peace of mind search forum for green connector and rotor magnets and address those issues if they are present. These are about the only common faults that seem to crop up and could also cause the problem you describe.
What exactly is a throttle body balance and TPS adjustment? I am a computer tech not a mechanic i know enough to be dangerous though and have what I would consider decent problem solving skills.
post #6 of 70 (permalink) Old 4th April 2017, 07:41 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Alameda, CA
Garage
The frame sliders you found on ebay are for the bolt father back, that goes all the way through. IMO that's the best place to mount sliders, as it's less likely to damage the cylinder head (pull the threads out) in a crash.

Most non-cruiser motorcycles use a separate throttle body per cylinder. Balancing them is adjusting them so they're the same amount open at idle. You check balance with a vacuum gauge, vacuum for the two cylinders should be the same.

The TPS or Throttle Position Sensor helps the ECU know when you're opening the throttle, which helps it operate smoother when you first start opening it.
post #7 of 70 (permalink) Old 4th April 2017, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ United States
Minnesota, US
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
The frame sliders you found on ebay are for the bolt father back, that goes all the way through. IMO that's the best place to mount sliders, as it's less likely to damage the cylinder head (pull the threads out) in a crash.

Most non-cruiser motorcycles use a separate throttle body per cylinder. Balancing them is adjusting them so they're the same amount open at idle. You check balance with a vacuum gauge, vacuum for the two cylinders should be the same.

The TPS or Throttle Position Sensor helps the ECU know when you're opening the throttle, which helps it operate smoother when you first start opening it.
The TPS and the balancing sound like items I would bring the bike to a dealer for as it is above my experience level. As for the engine bolts, would you recommend just replacing the front bolts and getting sliders for the back then?
post #8 of 70 (permalink) Old 4th April 2017, 09:51 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Alameda, CA
Garage
That's what I did.
post #9 of 70 (permalink) Old 4th April 2017, 10:00 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Downunder
Quote:
The TPS and the balancing sound like items I would bring the bike to a dealer for as it is above my experience level. As for the engine bolts, would you recommend just replacing the front bolts and getting sliders for the back then?
Replace those front bolts before the engine falls out, they also help stress the frame for proper handling.
A dealer will balance your throttle bodies properly, but will more than likely set the TPS to the factory setting which most riders on here know is wrong.
post #10 of 70 (permalink) Old 5th April 2017, 02:02 AM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
I might also have front cylinder head mounting bolts you need.
-MS

post #11 of 70 (permalink) Old 5th April 2017, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ United States
Minnesota, US
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidt314 View Post
I might also have front cylinder head mounting bolts you need.
-MS
If only I had seen this earlier, I just ordered some on Ebay last night and likely overpaid for them.

On another note I hope this isn't a start to my nightmare. I transferred the title at the MN DMV yesterday and they say the motor number doesn't match with what it was last registered with.
Got a picture of the previous title from the previous owner and the guy he bought it from must have swapped it as the engine number he filled out was completely different. so because the guy i bought it from got the wool pulled over his eyes i might get screwed because of it. UGH!
Fortunately if it comes down to it I have good lawyers who should be able to find me some answers.

EDIT: I also still need to see why the clutch slave is leaking grr.
post #12 of 70 (permalink) Old 5th April 2017, 04:36 PM
Knowledge is Horsepower

♂ United States
Moneyapolis, MN
Garage
Another Minnesotan here.

That poor thing seems to have really been butchered. Numbers not matching and not being taken care of isn't a good thing either.

Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
post #13 of 70 (permalink) Old 5th April 2017, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ United States
Minnesota, US
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
Another Minnesotan here.

That poor thing seems to have really been butchered. Numbers not matching and not being taken care of isn't a good thing either.
Well it wouldn't be the first time I had a beater bike, just kinda sucks as there's usually a learning curve to know the bike, it's quirks, and how to fix it.
just hope it doesn't come down to cutting my losses and re-selling it and trying to save up for another sv in better condition.

EDIT: another very small thing that popped up, the point at which the can meets the rest of the exhaust pipe seems to be leaking. It is a bolt on assembly but is there any gaskets I can buy to remedy that?
EDIT2: nvm i found the part i need, seems like a standard circular exhaust gasket, part number 14181-02F00
post #14 of 70 (permalink) Old 5th April 2017, 08:37 PM
L-Plate Rider

Side Covers

The holes you see in the pictures are for the side covers. I bought a set of carbon fiber replacements on ebay cheaper than a used or new set.

*** Edit... The holes under the seat...

Last edited by meleetch; 5th April 2017 at 08:54 PM. Reason: wrong info
post #15 of 70 (permalink) Old 5th April 2017, 08:53 PM
L-Plate Rider

schmidt314...I am interested in one of the PCIII. PM me a price please.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.