• 1 Post By Cain Mckechnie

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 9th May 2017, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ Australia
Toowoomba
Clutch baskets, primary gear nut and such things

Hi Folks!!

My first big bike, SV1000S 05 with 14,000km's.

Iv'e upgraded from a Suzuki GS500 which never misses a beat, silky smooth for the past 18 months.

Experiencing the well known rattling at idle which goes away when pulling in the clutch. I havent ridden it enough yet to figure out all the quirks but somewhere around 2000-3500 revs under acceleration the noise turns into a grinding, gravel in a box noise. Very audible over twin carbon Termi pipes.

I have bought gaskets and am going to check the flywheel/magnet for potential issues for peace of mind, and the primary drive gear nut for Torque.

If it's the basket and it needs modifying then i will do so promptly. I don't know of any Australian based clutch modifying level 40 wizards so i will have to send it overseas regardless.

Would anybody recommend a WERKS mod over the SHAREALIKE mod or vice versa? What experiences have you had?

Money isn't a big issue here, i really want to make the SV as smooth and enjoyable as possible. I'm already loving the SV and with this issue resolved I'm sure it will be a great ride for many years to come.

Any help is appreciated, thank you in advance.

Stay safe

-Cain
Fast Freddie likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 9th May 2017, 12:11 PM
Scooter boy

♂ United States
Houston, Texas
At 14K kilometers your clutch basket shouldn't be worn badly. But, I have seen them bad at that mileage if ridden particularly hard or if they have a broken spring. The noise you mention could be part the clutch basket, but also the crank nut and all the shafts, gears, and bearings in the transmission. The statement "somewhere around 2000-3500 revs under acceleration the noise turns into a grinding, gravel in a box noise" is a classic clutch basket issue called Chudder.

I own WERKS Parts LLC so I AM going to promote the WERKS modified clutch baskets over any other. WERKS is the only way to get the added second bearing for support and smoother operation ( not in the factory design ). WERKS clutch baskets are done totally in my shop by me. No outside work, I am responsible for every measurement in the machining and do all the fabrication and assembly. I have customers with over 100,000 miles on their WERKS clutch baskets with no degradation in performance. I have a LOT of international customers. Cost to modify your SV basket is $310 plus a $50 shipping add for your destination. Total with shipping $360 US. I also have an exchange basket program. I keep new OEM clutch baskets with full WERKS modifications in stock. $595 for those.

Checking the rotor magnets is very important. Adding a voltmeter to these bikes is something I recommend as a first thing to do.
trumindgame likes this.

WERKS modified clutch baskets for your SV 1000.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 9th May 2017, 12:21 PM
Forum whore

♂ United States
SW Pennsylvania, USA
Welcome to the forum mate!

Wanted to add that giving the SV a lot of throttle down low is not a great idea being as it's an odd-firing engine and even with a tight clutch basket you'll feel the power pulses at very low revs. Most find 3000 as the absolute minimum revs to ask anything from the engine and 4000 about the lowest for WOT. Mine will cruise around at 3000 but you can't lug it up steep hills or the like without it struggling a bit. Remember this engine is able to run close to 11,000 so lugging it around is not what it was designed to do.

The airbox will also make some noises down low as the sonic reverberations are designed to help feed the engine. When I still had the STV's working mine would make a cracking sound down low...not so much now with them removed as this forces one to be gentle with the throttle at low revs. Once you get to know the SV and check it over for the common issues you'll love the thing.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 9th May 2017, 07:51 PM
Fair weather rider

♂ Norway
14K kms is about the same as mine was when I got the chudder. I sent my basket to the UK (sharealike) since I'm in Europe. I also had a loose magnet at that point. That was glued back on and now I have 17400km on the bike without any issues.
But yeah, don't lug it, it doesn't like low revs as much, 😛

Sent fra min HUAWEI VNS-L31 via Tapatalk
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10th May 2017, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ Australia
Toowoomba
Quote:
Originally Posted by realshelby View Post
At 14K kilometers your clutch basket shouldn't be worn badly. But, I have seen them bad at that mileage if ridden particularly hard or if they have a broken spring. The noise you mention could be part the clutch basket, but also the crank nut and all the shafts, gears, and bearings in the transmission. The statement "somewhere around 2000-3500 revs under acceleration the noise turns into a grinding, gravel in a box noise" is a classic clutch basket issue called Chudder.

I own WERKS Parts LLC so I AM going to promote the WERKS modified clutch baskets over any other. WERKS is the only way to get the added second bearing for support and smoother operation ( not in the factory design ). WERKS clutch baskets are done totally in my shop by me. No outside work, I am responsible for every measurement in the machining and do all the fabrication and assembly. I have customers with over 100,000 miles on their WERKS clutch baskets with no degradation in performance. I have a LOT of international customers. Cost to modify your SV basket is $310 plus a $50 shipping add for your destination. Total with shipping $360 US. I also have an exchange basket program. I keep new OEM clutch baskets with full WERKS modifications in stock. $595 for those.

Checking the rotor magnets is very important. Adding a voltmeter to these bikes is something I recommend as a first thing to do.
Thanks for the info mate. I'll contact you soon.
Fast Freddie likes this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 13th May 2017, 09:31 AM
L-Plate Rider

Australia
Check your Messages Cain.

Sorry, Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 13th May 2017, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ Australia
Toowoomba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzicub View Post
Check your Messages Cain.
Thanks mate, i could'nt reply due to the minimum required posts for PM's.

Really keen to hear about your experience. If you come across anything along the way that is noteworthy please share.
I have the service manual but its always good to hear from people who have done it before.

Cheers mate

-Cain

I have to get a licence to drive a motorcycle to protect myself and the people around me. I am adamant there should be some sort of licensing required to have children - Tim Allen
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 13th May 2017, 06:10 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Mexico
Mexico City, Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by realshelby View Post

IIRC you were the "washer mod" guy, right? I just looked into your website and your new baskets loook very similar to what sharealike did; did you arrive to a similar solution?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 14th May 2017, 02:15 PM
L-Plate Rider

♂ Australia
Melbourne
Mate, don't go there. This subject is bigger than Ben Hur. Just have a look around.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 14th May 2017, 03:20 PM
Scooter boy

♂ United States
Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Süsser Tod View Post
IIRC you were the "washer mod" guy, right? I just looked into your website and your new baskets loook very similar to what sharealike did; did you arrive to a similar solution?
Yes, in around 2009 that was me and some other guys doing that. And yes, that started a feud between myself and "Sharealike". Which drove me to take the basket modifications to a higher level. With the help of a friend that is a Master Machinist, and a business acquaintance that is an Engineer and runs a fastener business we started development of the WERKS modified clutch baskets. Looking at the baskets won't tell much, stuff like the bearing in the aluminum basket is simple machine shop stuff. The work that makes them hold up and perform well cannot be seen so easily. Plus, you won't see a bearing in the top/outer plate of the basket anywhere but on a WERKS modified basket.

Don't have a bad thing to say about Sharealikes/SVman's work. Buy one of his if you want. But I am quite sure I build the best performing modified clutch baskets for your SV or DL.

WERKS modified clutch baskets for your SV 1000.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.