Fault codes - SV1000 Portal
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 15th May 2017, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ England
Surrey/Sussex border
Angry Fault codes

Hi, am I right in thinking that faulty spark plugs and injectors would not show a fault code . Having problems with bike not starting , running fine when I parked it up ,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 15th May 2017, 06:18 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Alameda, CA
Garage
There are codes for both.

Spark plugs don't really go bad from sitting. Injectors can clog up, though.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 16th May 2017, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ England
Surrey/Sussex border
Would either show as a fault code? If so which code ? Thanks for response

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 16th May 2017, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ England
Surrey/Sussex border
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecobley View Post
Would either show as a fault code? If so which code ? Thanks for response
New plugs ( iridium ) just fitted only half hour of static running , fuel to injector rail , no fault codes showing in dealer mode , tries to start but won't pick up
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 16th May 2017, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ England
Surrey/Sussex border
Update non running

Rechecked fault codes in dealer mode none showing , removed & refitted plugs tried to start , bike started ( like a bag of shite ) both header pipes getting hot ' let it run at 4000 for about one min to see if it would clear
Front header pipe glowing red! Shows CHECK ignition on ,kill switch in stop position ,COO when in run position . Bike is telling me nothing wrong but I know different ! Any clues before I throw it into dealers
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 16th May 2017, 12:09 PM
Forum whore

♂ United States
SW Pennsylvania, USA
It's always possible to have a damaged sparkplug....which won't show any codes being it's downstream of the coils. A clogged injector won't show a code either seeing as the ECU can only detect when an electrical fault is present...either shorted or open will set the code...simple clogging won't.

Before going any farther, I'd put another set of plugs in and see if it runs any different. Most of the time new plugs will be fine, but I have had the odd defective one that might look fine but just doesn't work right.

Glowing pipes may or may not mean anything...especially if you're sitting still and holding the revs up for a long period of time. What plugs did you put in? I had a set of Denso's that just wouldn't run right...replaced with NGK's and it was fine. Plugs look good...can't detect anything wrong with them...but they might have a crack up inside that shorts out under the stress of firing inside the engine.
Mikecobley likes this.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 16th May 2017, 02:12 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Alameda, CA
Garage
Sounds to me like the injectors could be plugged up some, leading to running lean.

On the other hand, running at 4000rpm for a full minute in still air will result in glowing headers anyway.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 16th May 2017, 06:23 PM
I love my SV

♂ United Kingdom
West Kent
Quote:
Rechecked fault codes in dealer mode none showing , removed & refitted plugs tried to start , bike started ( like a bag of shite ) both header pipes getting hot ' let it run at 4000 for about one min to see if it would clear
Front header pipe glowing red! Shows CHECK ignition on ,kill switch in stop position ,COO when in run position . Bike is telling me nothing wrong but I know different ! Any clues before I throw it into dealers
Maybe the Fuel Pump is clogged or semi clogged..?
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 16th May 2017, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ England
Surrey/Sussex border
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecoilRob View Post
It's always possible to have a damaged sparkplug....which won't show any codes being it's downstream of the coils. A clogged injector won't show a code either seeing as the ECU can only detect when an electrical fault is present...either shorted or open will set the code...simple clogging won't.

Before going any farther, I'd put another set of plugs in and see if it runs any different. Most of the time new plugs will be fine, but I have had the odd defective one that might look fine but just doesn't work right.

Glowing pipes may or may not mean anything...especially if you're sitting still and holding the revs up for a long period of time. What plugs did you put in? I had a set of Denso's that just wouldn't run right...replaced with NGK's and it was fine. Plugs look good...can't detect anything wrong with them...but they might have a crack up inside that shorts out under the stress of firing inside the engine.
Thanks for your replies , fuel pump and filter checked OK , was thinking along the lines of injectors , as mentioned before bike was misfiring at idle , Denso plugs replaced with NGK iridium plugs bike seemed fine , left it for a week then wouldn't run , will try another pair of plugs . Is it a diy job to clean injectors or should I get them cleaned professionally ?
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 16th May 2017, 09:56 PM
Forum whore

♂ United States
SW Pennsylvania, USA
You can clean them at home with just a little ingenuity needing to rig up a jumper wire to a battery so you can activate them while spraying carburetor cleaner through them.

Is your battery fully charged? Should show 12.7V after sitting overnight..if less, best to get it charged up before trying to track down a problem. We've had several cases where a low battery caused weird running symptoms that were cured with proper voltage being delivered to the bike.
Mikecobley likes this.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 17th May 2017, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ England
Surrey/Sussex border
Battery has always been hooked up to Optimate trickle charger ,will leave it off for a day or so and check. Did check voltage drop when starting dropped to 11 v
Will try and contact previous owner to check on age of battery, can't find any reference to it being replaced , he was very meticulous and even have all fuel receipts from new. So possibly the original one
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 17th May 2017, 12:15 PM
Forum whore

♂ United States
SW Pennsylvania, USA
Quote:
Thanks for your replies , fuel pump and filter checked OK
Let's back up a bit here: how was the pump and filter checked? Did you measure the fuel pressure? Do the 'volume test' on the pump/filter? Low fuel pressure can and will cause symptoms very similar to what you're seeing, and a sketchy pump will often go from barely OK to NOT OK after sitting a bit.
Mikecobley likes this.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 17th May 2017, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ England
Surrey/Sussex border
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecoilRob View Post
Let's back up a bit here: how was the pump and filter checked? Did you measure the fuel pressure? Do the 'volume test' on the pump/filter? Low fuel pressure can and will cause symptoms very similar to what you're seeing, and a sketchy pump will often go from barely OK to NOT OK after sitting a bit.
Just removed pump and checked filter , no debris in filter or tank , didn't do pressure or volume test just removed connector from fuel injector rail and cycled pump a few times , don't have pressure gauge but will look up how to do volume test thanks for your advice
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 17th May 2017, 07:12 PM
I love my SV

♂ United Kingdom
West Kent
Quote:
Battery has always been hooked up to Optimate trickle charger ,will leave it off for a day or so and check. Did check voltage drop when starting dropped to 11 v
Will try and contact previous owner to check on age of battery, can't find any reference to it being replaced , he was very meticulous and even have all fuel receipts from new. So possibly the original one
Mike if you have to get a new battery I can recommend a Motobatt.. lot more cranking power and cheaper than a Yausa or similar.
Mikecobley likes this.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 17th May 2017, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ England
Surrey/Sussex border
Motobatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt View Post
Mike if you have to get a new battery I can recommend a Motobatt.. lot more cranking power and cheaper than a Yausa or similar.
Thanks Tony i have seen mixed reviews on Motbatt not sure about them . Some say they are ok until they go flat then won't recover . Incidentally just heard from previous owner battery is the original fitted when bike was new in Jan 2005 so it hasn't done bad . Think it deserves a new one don't you ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.