Quick Air Hawk Review With Pics - SV1000 Portal

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 17th May 2017, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

Canada
Montreal, QC
Quick Air Hawk Review With Pics

I posted this on the ADVRider forum, but posting here too.

Today I rode with my new Air Hawk for the first time. I have the DS model on my 2k5 Suzuki SV1000S, it is the Air Hawk recommended model for my bike. I bought it because I am about to go on a long trip and last year I did a 7,700 km trip and ended up with some serious saddle sores.

Overall I think it's a nice, cheap improvement for me, at least for highway riding. The construction is nice and I removed my seat to fit it so the fit is pretty great. The straps and material on the bottom so far hold it in place pretty well. I haven't had a long ride on it yet but I rode it to work today, which is about a 20 km trip in traffic and it takes about 30 minutes. I inflated it to what I estimate is about 50% and I found the seat to be pretty comfortable, the seating position is obviously higher but that mostly works for me since I am 6'3" on a bike that has a pretty aggressive riding position and I'm no yogi. The riding position is nicer on my hips and knees, but since I am a little higher above the bars it's a little harder on my neck which is a tough point for me. I'll see how it plays out on a longer ride later.

The one major drawback I found so far is that the air tends to shift around inside, so I don't feel as stable on the seat. It feels like, well, sitting on a bag of air, think about sleeping on an air mattress as a comparison. For highway/long days I think this would be fine, and maybe even an advantage, but for aggressive riding I think this would be a problem. Possibly getting used to it, or changing the internal air pressure would solve this. Also it comes on and off petty easy so if I am gonna go out and ride some nice twisties I can just pop it off.

Here are some pics of how it fits/looks on my bike. While taking the pics I noticed it's a bit crooked which I will correct. I'll report back in a few thousand km.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l3...psdsusxqgk.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l3...psm0rog9pm.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l3...psts6bb7kk.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l3...psmz5zk0kq.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 17th May 2017, 03:45 PM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
You could always mount it an OEM seat and see how it does.
-ms

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 17th May 2017, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

Canada
Montreal, QC
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidt314 View Post
You could always mount it an OEM seat and see how it does.
-ms
I don't understand what you mean. Is my seat not an oem? I don't know, it was on there when I got it. I know there are several different oem seats for these, but I really wanted something that was gonna save my butt for long days (8+ hours) in the saddle, and I wanted to try this before dropping the big $$ on an aftermarket seat. Also the added benefit of saving my hips and knees was worth the shot.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 17th May 2017, 05:52 PM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanislejay View Post
I don't understand what you mean. Is my seat not an oem? I don't know, it was on there when I got it. I know there are several different oem seats for these, but I really wanted something that was gonna save my butt for long days (8+ hours) in the saddle, and I wanted to try this before dropping the big $$ on an aftermarket seat. Also the added benefit of saving my hips and knees was worth the shot.

I meant trying your pad on an OEM seat. It looks to me like you have the Suzuki accessory gel seat on it. They are squishy too and might be adding to the movement you are talking about.
-ms

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 17th May 2017, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

Canada
Montreal, QC
Ah ok, that's a bummer to hear I might have the gel seat, I was considering that as another option for when I am ready to spend the cash on a better seat. I didn't notice this type of movement at all before. Someone on the ADV forum commented that they think I have a bit too much air in the seat so I am going to deflate this afternoon on my ride home and see how that goes.

Oh and in case anyone didn't know, the inflation on this seat is just by mouth so it can be easily adjusted at any stop if you don't mind looking like you are sniffing your seat haha.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 18th May 2017, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

Canada
Montreal, QC
I have been playing with the air pressure and I have noticed a lot of improvement. I think i still have a bit too much but I have noticed the shifting has become much less of an issue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.