C28/C29 - SV1000 Portal

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 18th May 2017, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Alameda, CA
Garage
C28/C29

I'm getting C28/C29 every time I ride the bike.

At this point, if I start it in neutral it often doesn't come on right away. Generally, it comes on as soon as I put it in gear (instantly, as soon as I click in). If not, it comes on within a block or so.

Relevant mods are PC3USB, TRE from 92westshady on SVRider, STVs removed and eliminator from D'Ecosse.

I've tried two different STV eliminator boards (first one of his handmade ones, then one of his production ones). When I initially put it on, it was fine - this happened slowly. For a while it would stay off if I fired the bike up once it was already warm, not now.

I recently replaced the wiring harness. I think this may have changed the symptoms a little bit - it used to not be 100% - but don't remember for sure.

Any recommendations on what to do (other than get rid of it and go back to stock intake configuration)? It's annoying having a CEL full time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 18th May 2017, 04:40 PM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
C28/C29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
I'm getting C28/C29 every time I ride the bike.

At this point, if I start it in neutral it often doesn't come on right away. Generally, it comes on as soon as I put it in gear (instantly, as soon as I click in). If not, it comes on within a block or so.

Relevant mods are PC3USB, TRE from 92westshady on SVRider, STVs removed and eliminator from D'Ecosse.

I've tried two different STV eliminator boards (first one of his handmade ones, then one of his production ones). When I initially put it on, it was fine - this happened slowly. For a while it would stay off if I fired the bike up once it was already warm, not now.

I recently replaced the wiring harness. I think this may have changed the symptoms a little bit - it used to not be 100% - but don't remember for sure.

Any recommendations on what to do (other than get rid of it and go back to stock intake configuration)? It's annoying having a CEL full time.

Just so you know, I have used a bunch of the STV eliminators and never had an issue. Your bike acts as if it has a 650 eliminator on it.
-ms

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 18th May 2017, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Alameda, CA
Garage
Yeah, D'Ecosse says he's never had any other problems with them. Just me. I was convinced it was my harness, but now that I replaced that I doubt it (especially as symptoms changed). Are yours hand assembled or production?

He knows I have a 1000, he upgraded me from the hand built one to the production one, and helped with troubleshooting, but doesn't really have any ideas at this point.

If nobody has any ideas I guess it's time to find a new set of TBs and go back to stock intake setup - the STVs aren't too bad with the TRE.

Before I do that, I might try getting rid of the TRE. I don't see why it would matter, but it's easier than replacing the TBs.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 18th May 2017, 10:32 PM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
Yeah, D'Ecosse says he's never had any other problems with them. Just me. I was convinced it was my harness, but now that I replaced that I doubt it (especially as symptoms changed). Are yours hand assembled or production?

He knows I have a 1000, he upgraded me from the hand built one to the production one, and helped with troubleshooting, but doesn't really have any ideas at this point.

If nobody has any ideas I guess it's time to find a new set of TBs and go back to stock intake setup - the STVs aren't too bad with the TRE.

Before I do that, I might try getting rid of the TRE. I don't see why it would matter, but it's easier than replacing the TBs.
I have had/used 2 of the hand built "Box" units and also now many of the small manufactured units on the small PCBs. No issues.
Very strange

-MS

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 19th May 2017, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Alameda, CA
Garage
I guess I'll try pulling the TRE off this weekend (it's under the back of the tank right?) and see if that somehow fixes anything. Unlikely, but worth trying. Other than that I'm not sure what I could replace other than ECU.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 19th May 2017, 05:29 PM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
I guess I'll try pulling the TRE off this weekend (it's under the back of the tank right?) and see if that somehow fixes anything. Unlikely, but worth trying. Other than that I'm not sure what I could replace other than ECU.

I can't see how the TRE would be an issue, but you can try.

Are the electrical connections at the eliminator all sound?

-ms

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 19th May 2017, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Alameda, CA
Garage
They seem to be, I'll verify.

Given that it's happened on two different wiring harnesses and with two different eliminators it seems unlikely that it's the connections.

Any idea why it (sometimes) waits until I'm in gear before it throws the code?

The TRE is the only other electrical modification on the bike, and it has something to do with what gear it thinks it's in, and it sometimes doesn't throw a code until it's in gear, which is why I'll try it.

It also throws C32/C33 sometimes, but that's apparently fairly common for a bike with a PC3.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 19th May 2017, 06:23 PM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
32/33 should not be common with a PCIII. I have set up so many of these things and the only time when I have gotten 32/33 was because the PC unit was bad.

Pull the TRE, but also check the resistances at each gear position. I am starting to see on lots of older suzukis that the gear switches are flakey. They get a film of stuff on the contacts and produce wrong gear positions to ECU and can cause neutral issues too.
-ms

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 19th May 2017, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Alameda, CA
Garage
The 32/33 doesn't happen all the time. I know it isn't unusual on the 650s. Maybe I ought to pick up a PCV to replace my current PCIIIUSB, which is no longer supported.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.