Is my Power Commander missing connectors? (Pics) - SV1000 Portal

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 30th August 2008, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Biker

Is my Power Commander missing connectors? (Pics)

I bought a used PCIII USB for my SV. The part number is 314-411, which Dynojet lists as the unit for an '03-'04 SV1000. The problem is that the directions refer to plugging the PCIII connectors inline with the fuel connector and the throttle position sensor. Logic suggests that I would need four connectors on the PCIII to be able to plug it inline with two connectors. However, my PCIII only has two connectors, one ground cable, and one red wire with a blade-type plug on it whose purpose remains unbeknownst to me. The two connectors are not of the three-wire style of the TPS connection, so I assume they must plug inline with the "fuel connector".

Those of you that have installed PCIIIs, please have a look at mine and tell me if it's missing anything.

Here are the Dynojet instructions. I'm specifically referring to the connector referred to in step 6.
http://www.powercommander.com/downlo...eng314-411.pdf

Here are the pics of my PCIII:

http://www.thefleshrocket.com/images...606_resize.JPG

http://www.thefleshrocket.com/images...607_resize.JPG

http://www.thefleshrocket.com/images...608_resize.JPG

http://www.thefleshrocket.com/images...609_resize.JPG

Thanks!

I added the images with [img] [/im g] around them which generally makes them appear in the thread instead of being just links, but for some reason it doesn't work here.

--'08 1125R, '06 Daytona 675, '91 CBR600F2, '03 DR-Z400E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 30th August 2008, 11:12 PM
L-Plate Rider

Cool Power Commander

I just installed a power commander on my '03 about 2 weeks ago. I think they gave you the wrong one. Same part # 314-411 but wrong mod.
My bikes getting repainted wright now or I'd send you some pictures, but mine had at least 6 plug connectors,a ground wire and definitely didn't have that red wire.

If you need some pictures I can get you some probable monday knight.

post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 30th August 2008, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Biker

Sure, pictures would be cool if they're not too much trouble. Isn't it a bit strange that it would be the right part number but not be the correct unit?

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 31st August 2008, 12:40 AM
Highway Biker

I put one on mine way back and if I remember correctly it only has one “in line” pair of connectors – the TPS connection is just one wire that you tap into your TPS signal wire. I think they gave me one of those blue Scotch-lock connectors for the TPS wire but your better off soldering and sealing the connection.

Live to ride! to work and back
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 31st August 2008, 01:13 AM
Highway Biker

They Changed it! – you need the old instructions. I’m trying to upload the PDF file but not having any luck yet.

post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 31st August 2008, 01:20 AM
Highway Biker

I have the instructions but can’t upload them – the pdf file keeps showing up as a jpeg and only showing the cover page. Can anyone explain how to do it (and pretend your talking to Homer Simpson – cause you pretty much are).

post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 31st August 2008, 01:55 AM
Hardcore Biker

that's the same unit i have on my bike. the six pin connectors plug into the injector harness on the bike-the pcIII intercepts the signal from the bikes computer and modifies it. the single small wire taps into the pink and white wire on the tps harness-solder it rather than use the wire tap. the large black wire connects to the neg terrminal on the battery. it's the connector in the lower l/h corner of the pic with the arrow pointing to it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg injectorharness.jpg (544.1 KB, 34 views)

88 mustang 9.02@152.5-goodbye my old friend
in the 60's, people took acid to make the world strange. now the world is strange and people take prozac to make it normal
Mods: yoshi 3/4 2-1 stainless, gbauto tre & undertail, pcIII(dadmun map-thanx), 17-42 sprockets, pair mod, woodcraft clipons, de-snorkel, motosliders, penske, K7 750 gsxr front clip, galfer brake lines/ebc gfa pads. gsxr radial m/c.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 31st August 2008, 02:07 AM
L-Plate Rider

Power Commander

Here is a link to install your power commander.
http://www.suzukisv1000.com/faq/powe...er_install.htm

I'm going to have to take pictures of mine' It's 2003-2004 SV1000 PCIII USB
PC314-411. But mine didn't come with a red wire it has inline connectors. 2 for the fuel connector. 2 for the TPS and the ground wire.

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 31st August 2008, 02:17 AM
Hardcore Biker

or you could use the much clearer instructions that copper tone linked to.........

88 mustang 9.02@152.5-goodbye my old friend
in the 60's, people took acid to make the world strange. now the world is strange and people take prozac to make it normal
Mods: yoshi 3/4 2-1 stainless, gbauto tre & undertail, pcIII(dadmun map-thanx), 17-42 sprockets, pair mod, woodcraft clipons, de-snorkel, motosliders, penske, K7 750 gsxr front clip, galfer brake lines/ebc gfa pads. gsxr radial m/c.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 31st August 2008, 02:26 AM
L-Plate Rider

Is this a different model?

Here are the install instructions mine came with. Fig.C,D is different then yours. Instead of splicing in the red wire mine has 2 plugs for the TPS. One White plug and one black plug.

http://www.powercommander.com/downlo...eng314-411.pdf

Sorry had to edit link try it again!

post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 31st August 2008, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
Hardcore Biker

Thanks everyone. I guess my PCIII must just be original version without the second set of OEM connectors.

I got it for a pretty good price, but I really don't like the idea of cutting into the existing wiring harness. I'll check with Dynojet after the weekend to see if I can get an OEM-style harness to plug in instead.

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 31st August 2008, 10:55 AM
Forum whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFleshRocket View Post
Thanks everyone. I guess my PCIII must just be original version without the second set of OEM connectors.

I got it for a pretty good price, but I really don't like the idea of cutting into the existing wiring harness. I'll check with Dynojet after the weekend to see if I can get an OEM-style harness to plug in instead.
Well, I'm intresested too - I got the 'old' version and I don't like wire taps...

If you get some info from Dynojet, please let me know.

D.

- Akrapovic bolt-ons
- Desnorkeled
- LSL footpegs for a bit more ground clearance
- home made switchable TRE - not sure if it works though
- steel braided brake hoses
- EBC ProLite front rotors
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 31st August 2008, 08:06 PM
BANNED!!!!

Just make an inline connector with a male spade one side and a female spade the other... then you can remove it any time.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 2nd September 2008, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by danci1973 View Post
Well, I'm intresested too - I got the 'old' version and I don't like wire taps...
If you get some info from Dynojet, please let me know.
D.
Bad news. The Dynojet rep I spoke to said they don't offer a service to retrofit OEM connectors onto the blade-type connector, nor do they sell the connectors. I think I am just going to buy a brand new PCIII. It's a lot more money but I feel much better about having OEM connectors for everything, so that if I ever remove it, the wiring harness will still be virgin.

post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 2nd September 2008, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdying View Post
Just make an inline connector with a male spade one side and a female spade the other... then you can remove it any time.
How do you mean? Wouldn't that either require me to cut through the insulation on one of the wires, or to have a separate OEM-style connector to mount inbetween the TPS and the TPS plug?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.