The "Green Connnector" repair tutorial!! - SV1000 Portal
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 90 (permalink) Old 18th May 2010, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ United States
Terre Haute, IN
The "Green Connnector" repair tutorial!!

Can be found HERE!

The original repair tutorial website is gone, so I uploaded the pictures to an album.

P.S. Don't wait until it breaks to fix it!!

P.P.S. The bike is gross due to the fact that it broke following and 800+ mile rally weekend peg and knee dragging weekend in Southern Indiana.
M8whrr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 90 (permalink) Old 18th May 2010, 10:13 PM
Dun@nt by proxy

♂ Denmark
Hobro / Aalborg
Quote:
Originally Posted by oramac View Post
Can be found HERE!!
Realy nice write up!!

And easy to follow.

Could it be uploaded (admin?) in to the FAQ?

Stupid me! already there

Dun@nt
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's alright to be in control -
no problem -
but then you are just not fast enough.

White Gold KiloSFau"R"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Kapital D; 18th May 2010 at 10:15 PM. Reason: stupid me
post #3 of 90 (permalink) Old 18th May 2010, 10:55 PM
I love my SV

♂ United Kingdom
West Kent
Brilliant... Well done that man...

post #4 of 90 (permalink) Old 19th May 2010, 12:29 AM
is currently sulking in the Sin Bin

♂ New Zealand
New Zealand
Thumbs up

I agree, easy to follow and well written.

Only thing I think is missing is a blurb saying what the symptoms of having the green connector issue are. i.e. why would I need to fix my green connector. I know it's probably written up in other threads, just be nice to see it on your brilliant write up too
post #5 of 90 (permalink) Old 19th May 2010, 01:16 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ England
Aldridge, West Midlands, UK
Does this affect all models or is it Only restricted to the earlier silver framed variety

Previously Aprilia Factory;Bandit 12;CCM 604E;Suzuki TLs; ZX6R; Bandit 6
post #6 of 90 (permalink) Old 19th May 2010, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ United States
Terre Haute, IN
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardNZ View Post
I agree, easy to follow and well written.

Only thing I think is missing is a blurb saying what the symptoms of having the green connector issue are. i.e. why would I need to fix my green connector. I know it's probably written up in other threads, just be nice to see it on your brilliant write up too
That issue is rectified. There is now a "symptoms" page complete with a link to the "Green Connector" thread here.
post #7 of 90 (permalink) Old 19th May 2010, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ United States
Terre Haute, IN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike64 View Post
Does this affect all models or is it Only restricted to the earlier silver framed variety
It is my understanding that any year can be vulnerable.
post #8 of 90 (permalink) Old 7th July 2010, 03:01 PM
Forum whore

♂ United States
Virginia
I've just finished doing this. I was very slow and methodical.

I just reconnected the battery and I'm getting an F1 on the dash. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

I always get anxious when I do anything involving electrical stuff. I was afraid someting might happen. Everything else seems to be working okay. So, why am I getting this code?

"In the 13 months I've been in the Senate, it has become apparent to me the single thing that Republican politicians hate and fear the most, and that is when they're forced to tell the truth."

- Republican TED CRUZ, interview with radio host Mark Levin, Feb. 13, 2013
post #9 of 90 (permalink) Old 7th July 2010, 03:15 PM
Forum whore

♂ United States
Virginia
Would it help if I disconnected the 4 wires and reconnected them. Should I hook everything back up (PAIR, air box ) and would that solve it. I really need some help here.

p.s. how do i enter this "dealer mode" that I keep hearing about?

"In the 13 months I've been in the Senate, it has become apparent to me the single thing that Republican politicians hate and fear the most, and that is when they're forced to tell the truth."

post #10 of 90 (permalink) Old 7th July 2010, 05:03 PM
Forum whore

♂ United States
Virginia
I think everything's okay now.....

As you could tell from the last posts I was pretty frazzled. I'm always afraid of screwing something up and then not being able to get the bike to someone more experienced that can help. I was very fortunate in this case that the bike still ran. But I also felt a bit P.O's because the green connector was in perfect shape.

Anyway, I figured I cut my losses and bring it to a dealer to sort out. I was planning to drop it off soon for a valve adjustment so I figured I just do it a little sooner and spend a bit more cash.

Long story short, when I reconnected everything the error code disappeared. I've tried turning it off and on several times and it still seems fine.

Thanks for posting the tutorial on how to do this. I wouldn't have been able to do it without your help.

post #11 of 90 (permalink) Old 9th July 2010, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ United States
Terre Haute, IN
Yeah, not having everything reconnected could definitely force the FI light. Getting all the parts hooked up probably solved your problem. Glad it worked out! Happy motoring!
post #12 of 90 (permalink) Old 10th July 2010, 02:11 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Pittsburgh, PA
Did you re-connect the sensor on the left rear of the air box? I sometimes forget that one and get an error code. A quick shut off and hookup fix it though.

2003 SV1000S (silver) - Yoshi 3/4 system and SS can, air snorkel pulled, TRE, fender eliminator, SS braided lines, ZG ST screen
post #13 of 90 (permalink) Old 17th August 2010, 04:36 PM
L-Plate Rider

♂ United States
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
I would like to say that my bike was stricken with the green connector failure on Friday night. I was adding some lithium lube to the ignition cylinder when all of a sudden my bike does not turn on anymore; no lights, fuel pump, nada! I checked all the fuses and battery voltage, everything was fine.

Took the bike apart the next day and inspected the green connector; the terminal for the red/black wire was completely melted! So glad this was the problem! I replaced this connector with a military-grade waterproof 4-pin connector I got from work and soldered and heat-shrunk all connections. PROBLEM SOLVED! The bike has been running fine for days!

Don't be like me and think that because the connector has lasted 10 years, it'll be fine. I got lucky in the fact that the connector finally gave up when my bike was parked in front of my apartment. This could have happened anywhere at anytime and would leave you completely stranded.
post #14 of 90 (permalink) Old 26th October 2010, 07:30 PM
L-Plate Rider

♂ United States
St. Pete, Florida
My 03 lasted till 2010 and it finally got me, looks like it will just be a matter of time. Mine started cutting out in the middle of a ride, I would really have hated to lose power in the middle of a deep lean, thats the kinda thing that could ruin your day. I changed it out and all is well again. People really need to at least check this plug out during maintenance to avoid a serious safety risk.
post #15 of 90 (permalink) Old 30th October 2010, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ United States
Terre Haute, IN
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillH View Post
People really need to at least check this plug out during maintenance to avoid a serious safety risk.
That's the thing. It's not something that would be easily checked during routine maintenance. You have to go out of the way to get to the connector, and chances are it WILL go bad when it's least convenient (murphy's law and all that).

SV1000 owners that haven't dealt with it yet should find it and bypass or replace it now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.