Sv 1000 spark plug foul! - SV1000 Portal

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 2nd March 2017, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ Afghanistan
Sv 1000 spark plug foul!

I have a v strom 1000 with heads, throttle bodies, ecu, stator, rotor, wiring harness, switches from sv 1000 k3. Sometimes when it is cold and i want to start it the spark plugs foul out. Sometimes one sometimes both. As i can see the spark plugs are wet. From the exhaust blue or black smoke is not getting out. What is going on?? Problem with ecu, fuel pump, ignition coils? I have already clean the throttle bodies and injectors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 2nd March 2017, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ Afghanistan
Is it something wrong with electric system? Bad connections??? What do i have to check?? Tthe spark plugs foul when it is cold and open the trottle to go almost immdiately. The spark plugs in my motorcycle are ngk cr9ek
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 2nd March 2017, 10:45 PM
Forum whore

♂ United States
SW Pennsylvania, USA
CR9's are colder heat range than the stock recommended for the SV...which is an '8'. Considering that the DL pistons are even lower in compression ( I think...never played with them in person) it might even be good to go to a '7' heat range plug for your DL.

Rather than running the EK's (dual ground electrode) we've found the CR8EIX Iridium plugs work very nicely and were I you....I'd go for CR7EIX in that bike. This would go a long way toward curing the fouling. Best of luck!

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 3rd March 2017, 01:53 AM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecoilRob View Post
CR9's are colder heat range than the stock recommended for the SV...which is an '8'. Considering that the DL pistons are even lower in compression ( I think...never played with them in person) it might even be good to go to a '7' heat range plug for your DL.

Rather than running the EK's (dual ground electrode) we've found the CR8EIX Iridium plugs work very nicely and were I you....I'd go for CR7EIX in that bike. This would go a long way toward curing the fouling. Best of luck!

On cold start, heat range should not make any difference. The heat range is a spec of how much heat the plug rejects to allow it to run at a stable temperature to assure it gets to the self cleaning temps and not too high as to burn it self up. It often is seen as how far up on the insulator the ceramic goes up the tip.

-ms

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 3rd March 2017, 02:14 AM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by paekeajiab View Post
I have a v strom 1000 with heads, throttle bodies, ecu, stator, rotor, wiring harness, switches from sv 1000 k3. Sometimes when it is cold and i want to start it the spark plugs foul out. Sometimes one sometimes both. As i can see the spark plugs are wet. From the exhaust blue or black smoke is not getting out. What is going on?? Problem with ecu, fuel pump, ignition coils? I have already clean the throttle bodies and injectors.
Which manifold pressure sensor are you using DL or SV?
Are you using the DL vac buffer in line to the sensor?

I would be checking the following
How old is the battery?
How does it load check?
Is your bike charging correctly?
Vac leaks?
Throttle bodies correctly seated in the manifolds and tight?
All the regular tune up stuff, throttle body synch, valves TPS and so on.
Do you have a PCIII or PCV or other fuel controller on it?
Make sure your spark plug end caps have correct resistance and continuity to the HT lead is good
Check/set high idle system

I have found many times FI bikes will spin over, but there is enough voltage droop certain parts of the system will no signal correctly and bike will not light up the ignition, but will be spraying fuel.

-MS

post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 3rd March 2017, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ Afghanistan
My battery is 4 years old but i think it s ok. I use the sensor in the airbox from dl k7. The bike charges ok.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 3rd March 2017, 04:39 AM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Sv 1000 spark plug foul!

Quote:
My battery is 4 years old but i think it s ok. I use the sensor in the airbox from dl k7. The bike charges ok.

I would still check the battery to make sure. As I said, they can spin fine but if voltage drops too far, won't fire.
I am not worried about the intake air temp sensor that threads into the box, they are the same. The manifold pressure sensors AKA intake air pressure are not the same and I think run different linear functions for their response.
-ms

post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 3rd March 2017, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ Afghanistan
I have a voltmeter in my moto. With headlights off i have 14,4 volts. With lights on i have for a few second 12 and then 13,8
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 3rd March 2017, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ Afghanistan
How can i check the battery. Also i forgot to tell you that i have increase very very little the compression. Is there a problem with ecu?
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 3rd March 2017, 12:01 PM
Forum whore

♂ United States
SW Pennsylvania, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidt314 View Post
On cold start, heat range should not make any difference. The heat range is a spec of how much heat the plug rejects to allow it to run at a stable temperature to assure it gets to the self cleaning temps and not too high as to burn it self up. It often is seen as how far up on the insulator the ceramic goes up the tip.

-ms

Agreed. But...if the plugs aren't cleaning themselves during normal running and are accumulating carbon and deposits then they'll be more susceptible to fouling on a cold start. Especially if the FI mapping is on the rich side which most seem to be.
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 3rd March 2017, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ Afghanistan
I will try the hotter spark plugs cr8ek. How can i change the fi mapping? ?
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 3rd March 2017, 03:50 PM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
I have a voltmeter in my moto. With headlights off i have 14,4 volts. With lights on i have for a few second 12 and then 13,8
You should load test the battery. What is the voltage when the bike is cranking over to start?
-MS

post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 3rd March 2017, 03:52 PM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
I will try the hotter spark plugs cr8ek. How can i change the fi mapping? ?
I have run 9 series heat range plugs in several SV1000 stock street bikes w/o issue. I even ran 10s for week because it was all I had for my bike once and did not have issues. I have also run 9s in DL1000s too w/o issue.

-MS

post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 3rd March 2017, 04:07 PM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
How can i check the battery. Also i forgot to tell you that i have increase very very little the compression. Is there a problem with ecu?
How much compression do yo have? What did you do to increase it?

-MS

post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 3rd March 2017, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ Afghanistan
I do not know how much is the compression. very little increase. a light polishing to the head. as if to blame the battery ??? I am surprised that the spark plug foul only at startup. I think when i push the button to start the bike volt are ~10. I am not sure

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.