Battery died, should I go LiFePo? - SV1000 Portal

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 29th March 2017, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Fair weather rider

♂ Norway
Battery died, should I go LiFePo?

Anyone have any experience with those types of batteries in the sv1000?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 29th March 2017, 07:05 PM
Highway Biker

♂ Greece
Ioannina
Garage
The life batteries are good. Very lightweight (around 3kg less) and good CCA. The bad thing with them is that they have limited capacity meaning that if you ever have charging issues(not unlikely with the SV) you will probably have problems to drive your way home. i was looking at the shido batteries ( http://www.shido-batteries.com) they have good reviews and are relatively cheap. They are made in japan i think. I am waiting for my Bosch pb battery to die to try it to my bike. Other good brand is the shorai. One note, you might experience problems on really cold weather with this type of batteries. You have to warm them up to work.

Sent from my 6043D using Tapatalk

George Philos
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 29th March 2017, 08:50 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Alameda, CA
Garage
I've had a Shorai LFS14L2 in my SV1000 for a few years now (I have a custom subframe with limited space), no problems. If it's cold enough (bike outside in low 40s or below) it might crank a little slow the first time, but the battery will warm up and you can crank it for a LONG time before you kill it (probably a solid minute, but don't do that all at once - you'll kill the starter).

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 29th March 2017, 08:53 PM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gphilos View Post
The bad thing with them is that they have limited capacity meaning that if you ever have charging issues(not unlikely with the SV) you will probably have problems to drive your way home.
All of the LiFeP04 batteries I am familiar with have improved capacity, with equal to or greater Amp Hour ratings as long as you use the one specified for your bike. If you use a super tiny one, this might be correct.

-MS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 29th March 2017, 08:56 PM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
I've had a Shorai LFS14L2 in my SV1000 for a few years now (I have a custom subframe with limited space), no problems. If it's cold enough (bike outside in low 40s or below) it might crank a little slow the first time, but the battery will warm up and you can crank it for a LONG time before you kill it (probably a solid minute, but don't do that all at once - you'll kill the starter).
This is the only draw back I have seen with all my bikes that have them. My winter commuter bike is a bit of a pain in the ass to start when it is 16F out, but always starts. I have had really long life out of my Shorais so far. Over 5 years now and working awesome.

-MS

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 29th March 2017, 08:58 PM
Highway Biker

♂ Greece
Ioannina
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidt314 View Post
All of the LiFeP04 batteries I am familiar with have improved capacity, with equal to or greater Amp Hour ratings as long as you use the one specified for your bike. If you use a super tiny one, this might be correct.

-MS
Well, i had a look here http://www.shido-batteries.com/html/...ons/index.html and it clearly says that the capacity is less. I am not sure about the shorai, are they 12ah?

George Philos
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 29th March 2017, 09:06 PM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gphilos View Post
Well, i had a look here Shido Batteries and it clearly says that the capacity is less. I am not sure about the shorai, are they 12ah?

The equivalent Shorai battery for an SV1000 is rated at 21A hours. Even most of the smaller cased batteries with less output are equal to or over 12A hour rating. Spec battery for the SV1000 is a LFX21A6-BS12
Battery Specifications - Shorai Lithium Batteries

-MS

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 29th March 2017, 09:09 PM
Highway Biker

♂ Greece
Ioannina
Garage
Quote:
The equivalent Shorai battery for an SV1000 is rated at 21A hours. Even most of the smaller cased batteries with less output are equal to or over 12A hour rating.

-MS
You are right! Almost the double capacity for these shorai batteries! Shido battery seems of really small capacity.

George Philos
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 30th March 2017, 01:52 AM
Forum whore

♂ United States
SW Pennsylvania, USA
Interesting! Do these batteries need/want to be on a tender like the lead-acid ones do?
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 30th March 2017, 03:34 AM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecoilRob View Post
Interesting! Do these batteries need/want to be on a tender like the lead-acid ones do?

Nope. They can hold charge for nearly a year when unhooked.
-ms

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 30th March 2017, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Fair weather rider

♂ Norway
Think I'll try one then. Price difference wasn't that much compared to a gel battery
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 30th March 2017, 12:40 PM
Forum whore

♂ United States
SW Pennsylvania, USA
Quote:
Nope. They can hold charge for nearly a year when unhooked.
-ms
That is very cool! I'm still running the original battery which is going on 6 years now, so a fresh one is going to be on the schedule here soon. Might have to invest in some new technology.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 30th March 2017, 03:17 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Alameda, CA
Garage
Quote:

-MS
Quote:
The equivalent Shorai battery for an SV1000 is rated at 21A hours. Even most of the smaller cased batteries with less output are equal to or over 12A hour rating. Spec battery for the SV1000 is a LFX21A6-BS12

-MS
Not quite. 21AhEq, not 21Ah. It'll start an engine similarly to a 21Ah battery.

A small drain, like an alarm, and my understanding is that it's about 1/3 the capacity of a 21Ah lead acid battery.

LiFePO4 batteries have very low internal resistance, so they can put out a LOT of current, but they don't have that high of a capacity when it comes to small loads.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 2nd April 2017, 05:43 PM
Forum whore

♂ United States
SW Pennsylvania, USA
This is always a good place to mention that having the ability to shut off your headlights, as well as monitor your charging voltage can extend your range should the charging system fail and leave you running total loss on the battery.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 4th April 2017, 05:20 AM
Forum whore

♂ United States
Oceanside, California
Rob: I put a Shorai LiFe battery in my SV-1000 two years ago. I am sold on this conversion. Lost 8# and really fires the starter! No problems in 40 degree weather, but some report problems in colder weather. Solution is to turn on ignition and don't try to start for 10-15 seconds. Warms up battery and then it's fine. Only hearsay, however.

Ralph

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.