SV1000 wont rev past 5k in gear - SV1000 Portal
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 7th April 2017, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ United States
South Florida
Exclamation SV1000 wont rev past 5k in gear

To start off I have a 2003 SV1000 with a M4 exhaust & no snorkel on the intake. This is my first post so bear with me, I just bought an sv1000 as my first street bike and man the torque is great but... the damn thing wont rev past 5k in any gear. I've already cleaned out the fuel filter & checked the spark plugs. the PO has a power commander 3 installed on it but done the wrongest way possible splicing and barely taping the wires up. I don't know if that has anything to do with it but id appreciate any help i can get. I really want to wake up this bike and actually ride it.
P.S. my buddy and i loaded up a bunch of different tunes on it and the only one that would help a little bit was an 05 tune that had a two brothers exhaust on, still bogged out hard but helped a little...)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 7th April 2017, 04:34 PM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
To start off I have a 2003 SV1000 with a M4 exhaust & no snorkel on the intake. This is my first post so bear with me, I just bought an sv1000 as my first street bike and man the torque is great but... the damn thing wont rev past 5k in any gear except neutral. I've already cleaned out the fuel filter & checked the spark plugs. the PO has a power commander 3 installed on it but done the wrongest way possible splicing and barely taping the wires up. I don't know if that has anything to do with it but id appreciate any help i can get. I really want to wake up this bike and actually ride it.

P.S. my buddy and i loaded up a bunch of different tunes on it and the only one that would help a little bit was an 05 tune that had a two brothers exhaust on, still bogged out hard but helped a little...)

No FI errors?
I would unplug the Power Commander and try.
Do you have fuel pressure?

-ms
kumquat likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 7th April 2017, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ United States
South Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidt314 View Post
No FI errors?
I would unplug the Power Commander and try.
Do you have fuel pressure?

-ms
I can't unplug the power commander because it looks all spliced together with the wiring harness.
As for the fuel pressure I haven't checked it idk if you need a special tool?
And I had an FI error but I believe that was cause we tried running the bike with the top end of the throttle body open, speaking of is it always supposed to be hard to open that by hand?

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 7th April 2017, 06:01 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Alameda, CA
Garage
The top set of blades are known as Secondary Throttle Valves and are electronically controlled. You may have damaged something by opening them by hand.
kumquat likes this.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 7th April 2017, 06:24 PM
Weekend cruiser

♂ United States
Bet fuel pump is shot. Replace it via eBay for like $30 for the pump and strainer, also find the o ring that past of that assembly and replace.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
kumquat likes this.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 7th April 2017, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ United States
South Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
The top set of blades are known as Secondary Throttle Valves and are electronically controlled. You may have damaged something by opening them by hand.
Yea i was thinking that but i put them back to the close position and the bike idles fine now, it was idling high with them open
also it was doing this before i even messed with the throttle valves

Last edited by kumquat; 7th April 2017 at 07:13 PM. Reason: add more info
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 7th April 2017, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ United States
South Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumindgame View Post
Bet fuel pump is shot. Replace it via eBay for like $30 for the pump and strainer, also find the o ring that past of that assembly and replace.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
I'm guessing it might have to do with the wiring job that they did to the power commander, but ill take that in to consideration after cleaning some more stuff
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 7th April 2017, 09:43 PM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
Yea i was thinking that but i put them back to the close position and the bike idles fine now, it was idling high with them open
also it was doing this before i even messed with the throttle valves
If the throttle is closed and the STVs are wide open, it will be in the high idle circuit so it should idle high until it warms up a bit. the blades slowly close, then settle mostly closed after warmed up a bit.

-MS
kumquat likes this.

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 8th April 2017, 05:50 PM
Forum whore

♂ United States
SW Pennsylvania, USA
Do the STV's even work? If they're stuck in a semi-closed position it'll choke off the airflow for sure. They should cycle when you turn on the ignition and if the motor is cold should go nearly open then close down when it warms up. When warm they should follow the main throttles and open when you give it the gas. If they're stuck...no bueno. But if they're not working you should have an 'FI' warning light and codes telling you that the STV's are bad.
kumquat likes this.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 9th April 2017, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ United States
South Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecoilRob View Post
Do the STV's even work? If they're stuck in a semi-closed position it'll choke off the airflow for sure. They should cycle when you turn on the ignition and if the motor is cold should go nearly open then close down when it warms up. When warm they should follow the main throttles and open when you give it the gas. If they're stuck...no bueno. But if they're not working you should have an 'FI' warning light and codes telling you that the STV's are bad.
Yea I started the bike with the tank open to make sure they work and they do open and close... I'm going to test the fuel pressure monday and hopefully find that the pumps going bad to buy a new one.

Just as an update I checked the TPS and its in spec, Cleaned both spark plugs, Cleaned the air filter, & Cleaned the fuel filter. A note is that the bike runs even worse after cleaning the fuel filter which is making me think it might be the pump.
trumindgame likes this.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 9th April 2017, 04:03 AM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
Yea I started the bike with the tank open to make sure they work and they do open and close... I'm going to test the fuel pressure monday and hopefully find that the pumps going bad to buy a new one.

Just as an update I checked the TPS and its in spec, Cleaned both spark plugs, Cleaned the air filter, & Cleaned the fuel filter. A note is that the bike runs even worse after cleaning the fuel filter which is making me think it might be the pump.

Did you clean the pick up screen or the actual fuel filter?

-ms
kumquat likes this.

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 9th April 2017, 04:10 AM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:

Have you run the fuel flow test?
If flow is low without back pressure it is likely the filter on the pressure side of the pump. If that passes, then check fuel pressure. If pressure is low it is then either the regulator or pump most likely.

If flow is low, some folks drill a bypass in the filter to go by the clogged filter and add an inline.

I like staying factory, so I use a a high volume reverse flow set up that flows hot cleaner through the filter while submerged in an industrial ultra sonic cleaner. Works great for me.

In my experience if flow test is 250cc in 10 seconds you might start having problems. I have tested bikes that gave about 100cc. They ran pretty bad. Full brand new set ups I have seen 450cc or more.

-ms
kumquat likes this.

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 9th April 2017, 04:10 AM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ United States
South Florida
Can you recommend any pumps from ebay?
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 9th April 2017, 04:15 AM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
Can you recommend any pumps from ebay?

Sorry, no I can't.

I have used highflowfuel.com or my local Mazda dealer.

-ms
kumquat likes this.

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 9th April 2017, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ United States
South Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidt314 View Post
Did you clean the pick up screen or the actual fuel filter?

-ms
I cleaned the little strainer filter on the bottom end of the pump I didnt open the pump itself open

Tags
broken, fix, sv1000

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.