01-04 GSXR1000 rear wheel - SV1000 Portal

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 8th May 2017, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Alameda, CA
Garage
01-04 GSXR1000 rear wheel

I found a set of forged Marchesinis for a good price ($1200, some chips/scratches but no bends). He claims they fit 01-05 GSXR 600/750, 01-08 GSXR1000.

I've heard of people putting early GSXR1000 rear wheels on 01-05 600/750 (which use an identical wheel/spacers/etc to our SV1000s), including claims that they bolt right up, but I've also seen claims that they aren't quite right.

Has anyone here done it? I'd love to shed some unsprung rotating weight, but don't want to install it and end up with a rear wheel that isn't centered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 8th May 2017, 11:03 PM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
I found a set of forged Marchesinis for a good price ($1200, some chips/scratches but no bends). He claims they fit 01-05 GSXR 600/750, 01-08 GSXR1000.

I've heard of people putting early GSXR1000 rear wheels on 01-05 600/750 (which use an identical wheel/spacers/etc to our SV1000s), including claims that they bolt right up, but I've also seen claims that they aren't quite right.

Has anyone here done it? I'd love to shed some unsprung rotating weight, but don't want to install it and end up with a rear wheel that isn't centered.

I have posted this several times before. The stock GSXR1000 wheel has wider bearing spacing. You can wedge it in, but it jacked other stuff up like chain line.

The after market wheels can be used on either typically but you need the GSXR600/750 sprocket carrier or the GSXR1000 sprocket carrier. Some wheels it is just a spacer kit, not the whole carrier.

What Marchesini wheels are they? I assume 6" rear, are they the forged aluminum or magnesiums? If they are the 10 spoke, are they the flat 10 spoke or the square/boxed 10 spoke?

-ms

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 9th May 2017, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Alameda, CA
Garage
Apparently it includes 2 carriers, so it does sound right..

6", forged aluminum, not sure what you mean by flat vs square/boxed.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/GBoAAO...cH/s-l1600.jpg

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 9th May 2017, 06:02 AM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:

Sweet! Those are the later 10 spoke wheels. These have the square/boxed spokes, not the earlier flatter ones.

-ms

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 9th May 2017, 06:20 AM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:

Also check the cushion in the Cush drive. The Marchesini ones typically wear quickly.

A little secret to by pass the really expensive replacement cushion is to replace them genuine Marchesini unit but order them with a Yamaha part number. 4B1-25364-00

-ms

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 9th May 2017, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Alameda, CA
Garage
So the 6" Marchesini for 01-05 600/750 fits SV1000s well? Any real downsides?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 9th May 2017, 02:33 PM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
01-04 GSXR1000 rear wheel

Yes, the Piuma series wheels for sure take two different carriers.

Down sides for Marvics?

-ms

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 9th May 2017, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Alameda, CA
Garage
Piuma series?

I meant downsides to the 6" vs factory 5.5". I'd be running a 190/55 on it.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 9th May 2017, 06:03 PM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
Piuma series?

I meant downsides to the 6" vs factory 5.5". I'd be running a 190/55 on it.

Sorry, for some reason I read Marvic

The 6" wheel will work well. Just note a huge geometry change.

-ms

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 9th May 2017, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Alameda, CA
Garage
I have a Penske triple so I can easily enough adjust ride height. I know that it'll reduce swingarm angle, not sure if there's any way around that.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 9th May 2017, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Alameda, CA
Garage
Looking around I guess a lot of newer bikes run a 200/55 on a 6" wheel. I'm guessing that doesn't help when it comes to handling, though.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 9th May 2017, 10:00 PM
Forum whore

♂ United States
SW Pennsylvania, USA
Just about any tire can be accomodated if you have an adjustable swingarm pivot and triple clamps. For production you can weld things anywhere you want them to get the handling you desire...it's the people wanting to retrofit things where the problems show up. Why would you want a bigger rear tire? The 180 is freakin' huge and I think plenty for the weight of the bike and power it can produce. If you want more...why not go to a 240? One of the offset kits for 'Busa's could likely be hacked in.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 9th May 2017, 10:26 PM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
I have a Penske triple so I can easily enough adjust ride height. I know that it'll reduce swingarm angle, not sure if there's any way around that.

Looks at also fork height.
-ms

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 9th May 2017, 10:28 PM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
Looking around I guess a lot of newer bikes run a 200/55 on a 6" wheel. I'm guessing that doesn't help when it comes to handling, though.

Correct, even taller and might get too close to the chain on an SV1000. I have run some special 195 slicks on my race bike and they were really close to causing issues.

-ms

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10th May 2017, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Alameda, CA
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidt314 View Post
Looks at also fork height.
-ms
I'm already running my forks flush with the top of the triple, so I can't get much extra height there.

I ordered a TopYokes triple clamp so I'll finally have steering lock and nicer handlebar mounts. It's possible that it uses a spacer under the top clamp (I remember my Spiegler top clamp did). If so, I guess I might be able to remove said spacer and get the forks down another 1/4" (or however thick the spacer was), as long as I have enough lower clamping surface (I haven't looked at that).

I don't want to run a huge rear tire, I just came across the set of Marchesinis (didn't buy them in the end, the seller claimed they'd fit any rotors from 00/01-05 750/600 and 01-08 1000 and wasn't willing to measure the rotor bolt pattern) for a good price, and less unsprung rotating weight is always an advantage. I'll keep my eyes open for another set, I'd prefer a 5.5" rear. I'm not a big fan of a 180 on a 6" though, which is why I'd run the 190/55... still probably lighter than stock wheel + same tire in 180/55.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.