Clutch Slip - SV1000 Portal

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 19th May 2017, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
st marys, ga
Clutch Slip

It's been a loooooooooongg time since on this forum. Glad to see it's still up, running and active! In summer of 2013, I purchased a '13 Aprilia RSV4 Factory and have let the SV just sit in the garage, contemplating sale (not really). Well, all my cars have brought issues (transmission, accident, etc) and the RSV4 finally brought to my attention that the stator/flywheel manufacturer assembly was not compatible and burned 7 of 15 coils. This brought me to pull the SV back to life...and pay a bunch of unregistered back taxes. Anyhow, here goes:

The bike:
2006 SV1000S
owned since day 1
21,000 miles
stock hoses
stock clutch
PAIR removed/blocked
-1/+2 sprockets
Pazzo short levers
aftermarket rearsets (can't remember brand)
Renegade dual high pipes
Bike sat for about 3.5 years, fully loaded (no fluids drained, etc)
NEVER had trans problems aside from slight engagement while clutch lever pulled (nothing feet planted couldn't overcome)

Region:
Southeast Georgia at Florida border, at the coastline.
Hot, humid.
Garage kept.
Operating temp currently - 196-206F (stop and go traffic halfway > 210)
Operating speed limits - 30-50 mph

The issue:
Clutch engagement is near/at full lever release (worse as engine warms)
Trans slips in all gears (worse as engine warms)
Gears engage when engine is cool (worse as engine warms)
Drivetrain can only manage "X" distance before complete loss of power (depends on load/speed of travel)
RPM engagement limited by temperature, low temp can run high RPM but once at operating temp (initially) limited to 5-6K rpm (worsens with use)

The story:
I pulled it out of the garage, put in a new battery, rode it 1.5 miles and realized there was an issue. Gear slip, rev a bit, slip, shift ride, rev slip, etc. Got worse worse worse. Barely made it the 4 miles I needed to before I had ABSOLUTELY no power delivery, would rev rev rev in gear but no go go go.

I tinkered with hyd clutch. Bleed, fill, pump. No help. Removed slave cylinder, watch piston travel (about 1/4"). Disassemble slave for inspection appeared fine. Pump, bleed, etc. no help.
Disassemble clutch master cylinder for inspection and appeared fine. Pump, bleed etc. to the point I had no pressure build. Decided I blew a seal.

Rebuild master cylinder with new kit. Bleed, pump, bleed, etc. Finally build nice pressure. Wallah! Bike moves. I make it home, but not completely satisfied.

Rode it to work (about 8 mile trip one way). In first couple pulls, clutch feel went from half lever to full. About mile 6-7, (very moderate ride) I could feel the slip coming and sure enough it did. If I exceeded a 1 MPH per second speed increase, it would slip. Blip throttle in gear and slip, any gear.

Way home, clutch release at the same point, full. Everything in paragraph above happened exactly the same. Barely made it home.

Bled clutch again, several cycles and NO AIR. Next day it acted the same. Clutch engagement always at near full release and can only make it the distance to and from. After the system cools it resets, which is why each to/from trip is the same.

Next day, decide that the oil is degraded and could use a change. Replaced with Motul 4100 10W-40 and Suzuki filter, the old oil was very thin but cleanish (only had about 1800 miles before storage).

Operation the same!

Notes:
If I rev engine in gear beyond the engagement/temperature relation is further worsens the condition. Basically if I don't stay below 1 MPH per second while at sustained operating temp, it reduces the distance I can travel. The last mile to my house today, I was restricted to 30 mph, couldn't engage enough to go faster.
It will rev in neutral to full rpm, in gear clutch in to full rpm.

Questions:

I feel that I have eliminated hydraulics. The lever disengages the clutch fine, but doesn't engage until full release.
Hydraulics?

How can this slip in every gear?

Why would this worsen with temperature? (extreme slip at mile 7 of 8)

Is this clutch replacement issue?

Guys, I'm sorry for the extremely long post. Thank you for you time and assistance.

06 SV1000S

13 Aprilia RSV4 Factory APRC ABS SBK SE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 19th May 2017, 08:29 AM
Moped rider

♂ Czech Republic
Garage
Seems like the slave cylinder is not coming back, when the clutch is disengaged. Or some mechanical clutch problem.

When you've rebuild the master cylinder, did you clean the small channels leading to reservoir? It is well known, if these clog up, they cause the hydraulic system to jam (keep pressure).
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 19th May 2017, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
st marys, ga
I removed reservoir and cleaned the hole from reservoir to cylinder bore. Inspected the cylinder bore and it appeared clean and smooth. Did I miss something else?

When the slave was removed, I pumped the master to watch slave piston travel. It pulses out about 1/4" and returns. This, I believe, was done before the master rebuild. I ensured the slave piston was fully seated into its housing before reinstalling.

I did expect the slave piston to stay extended much like if you pumped brakes with the caliper removed.

06 SV1000S

13 Aprilia RSV4 Factory APRC ABS SBK SE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.