: What is the most visible color?

Boomer
29th November 2005, 06:23 PM
I am planning to buy a new helmet. I have decided that function is more important than than outright fashion. Since the head is the highest point most visible on the motorcycle, my question is, what is the most visible color for a helmet. I read that Shoei used to make a helmet in that safety orange color. I have been eyeing a Vivid Yellow Shoei RF-1000.

I'm Boomer and I'm gone!

hsracer
29th November 2005, 06:25 PM
my opinion would be either yellow or orange. with reflective material for night time riding.

2WIN
29th November 2005, 06:30 PM
Copper...:rolleyes:

They actually make a reflective halo/sticker that goes around the bottom of the helmet and makes it very visable

mrgenius
29th November 2005, 06:32 PM
there is no absolute safest colour, as colours appear differently to the eye under different environmental conditions [light level, presence of fog/rain/snow, and surroundings]. i would say that for a motorcycle helmet, white or a bright lime/yellow are the safest colours. i was originally taught that white was the safest colour, but i think the answer isn't quite that black/white [no pun intended]. it is also a good idea to have some reflective points on your helmet that will help with nightime visibility for those times you may be on the side of the road with a zonked battery.

Chainsaw Willie!
29th November 2005, 07:08 PM
I think Aerostitch makes a suit in a sick yellow for the very reason of being visible.

I went with red 12 billion years ago because at that time I thought it was extra visable and not too ugly. But I have not data to support that. And I have been rear-ended at a stoplight while wearing the Santa suit.

Reflecto is good. I have done goofy reflecto tape patterns on helmets before.

Moo
29th November 2005, 07:44 PM
Yellow is good.

christianmoses
29th November 2005, 09:25 PM
The human eye is most sensative to yellow, then orange, then red, blue and green are pretty far down. The yellow/green that Aerostitch uses was found to be one of the most visible hues to the average human and most likely to induce spontaneous vomit from bystanders. :banana:

Oddly enough, brightly colored helmets with lots of different colors/patterns are less visible than a single color like yellow. Apparenly the varied colors act as a kind of camoflauge.

rjk
29th November 2005, 09:36 PM
I think Aerostitch makes a suit in a sick yellow for the very reason of being visible.

I went with red 12 billion years ago because at that time I thought it was extra visable and not too ugly. But I have not data to support that. And I have been rear-ended at a stoplight while wearing the Santa suit.

Reflecto is good. I have done goofy reflecto tape patterns on helmets before.

You mean The glowing banana (http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/HiViz-Motorcycle-Suits-sp-19.html) . XX Marv wears one...you can see him a mile away!! :cool2:

wncwilson
29th November 2005, 09:40 PM
It's a proven fact that Yellow is the most visable color. That's the reason that ALL of the Hertz rental cars used to be yellow!

PEZ
29th November 2005, 09:46 PM
I love yellow bikes (and airplanes). I wish my SV was yellow and black.

Kyoseki
29th November 2005, 09:51 PM
I love yellow bikes (and airplanes). I wish my SV was yellow and black.
Provided you didn't mind looking like a giant wasp :)

Did you see the Honda Hornets (CB919/599 over here)in Hornet colours ?

Boomer
29th November 2005, 10:43 PM
Oddly enough, brightly colored helmets with lots of different colors/patterns are less visible than a single color like yellow. Apparenly the varied colors act as a kind of camoflauge.

You know, even when I look at them on line alot of them look almost like camoflauge. I read that the military used a technique of painting ships multiple bright colors during one of the early wars and had great success with it for sone reason or another.

Boomer...Out.

Kyoseki
29th November 2005, 11:08 PM
You know, even when I look at them on line alot of them look almost like camoflauge. I read that the military used a technique of painting ships multiple bright colors during one of the early wars and had great success with it for sone reason or another.

Boomer...Out.
I remember the ships with big geometric shapes painted on them, which worked not so much as camouflage, but that it was difficult to discern the shape of the thing and to judge exactly which direction it was travelling in and at what speed.

Pretty sure they gave up on that when radar and sonar got better as there was very little point in decieving the human eye.

Team Smoke
29th November 2005, 11:36 PM
there is no absolute safest colour, as colours appear differently to the eye under different environmental conditions [light level, presence of fog/rain/snow, and surroundings].
IT IS ALSO good idea to have some reflective points on your helmet that will help with nightime visibility for those times you may be on the side of the road with a zonked battery.

I find during the daylight hours color does not seem to matter. Waving or some motion or Flash High beams work best for me. But always beware of the Sun and what direction your heading ie (into or away from the Sun and what the cager(codger) is looking into also).
At nite Mr Genius has that covered.

mike

As weather gets colder look for
my 4K service on website

oldbaldsob
29th November 2005, 11:40 PM
fuhgedabout color....what you need are some nice and fooking loud pipes! everybody know that loud pipes save lives!

Kyoseki
29th November 2005, 11:52 PM
I find during the daylight hours color does not seem to matter. Waving or some motion or Flash High beams work best for me. But always beware of the Sun and what direction your heading ie (into or away from the Sun and what the cager(codger) is looking into also).
At nite Mr Genius has that covered.

mike

As weather gets colder look for
my 4K service on website
Apparently in Mexico (as in the UK - even though it's against the highway code), flashing your headlights means "sure, go ahead", so I'm not sure headlight modulators are the best plan near the border.

I'm not saying anything about illegal immigrants, but there are a lot of immigrants in general here, both legal and illegal, and doing anything that may be misinterpreted as "go ahead" rather than "don't you dare f**king pull out!" could easily get you hurt.

If you see someone who looks like they might pull out, change your road position, move from the center of the lane towards the outside of the lane, lateral movement is a lot easier for a car driver to spot.

... and yeah, get thee some decent pipes, there's no law against 'em over here, so make all the noise you want.

cyclerider105
30th November 2005, 12:41 AM
How about paint your bike bright yellow!

Team Smoke
30th November 2005, 12:45 AM
Ayeeee got the M4ti 2into1.......I'm into whatever works line change or tyre warm-up is also good and no I don't like pulsing headlamps either.

mike

Ahhh Ahhhh Stayin Alive!
See website for mods/stuff

bmeyer6472
30th November 2005, 02:11 AM
fuhgedabout color....what you need are some nice and fooking loud pipes! everybody know that loud pipes save lives!

YEAH! Put some megaphones on, and then paint them yellow - with two kinds of loud, you can't go wrong!

Sorry, I couldn't help myself... :banana:

Sid Squid
30th November 2005, 08:03 AM
I always buy a plain white lid, it may not be the most visible colour but it's more so than most designs, and being plain is also a good bit cheaper than the racer rep styles, most of which I don't like anyway, for example my current lid (Arai RX7) bought approx 1 year ago was 60 cheaper in plain white.

peterrose
30th November 2005, 11:37 AM
If they can't see the twin headlights coming, what good is a bright helmet ?

Same for the rear, the tail lights are pretty bright, if they ain't looking, they ain't gonna see ya :no:

saw a guy in a car pull out in front of a massive 40 ton 16 wheeler truck the other day. Truck was only going slowly through town and dragged the car 6 feet up the road. Maybe he'll look next time.

Pete

Leon
30th November 2005, 11:38 AM
I think that the Ministry of Transport recommends white, which I use, also. When I stopped recently to consult a map a lady asked me for directions, thinking that I might be a police mobile because of my helmet.

Many years ago, a colleague of mine told me that he and a friend of his used to have identical Triumph bikes, similar to those used by the police, and white helmets. They used to amuse themselves by parking on a side road overlooking a main road, and watch all the speeding cars braking hard when the drivers noticed them.

Leon

Carl_T
30th November 2005, 02:05 PM
Good point about multicolor camouflage.

Yeah, white has been written up as the best, not due to color but due to value contrast (amount of darkness and lightness) with the usual surroundings (of course you can't say that in the winter snows of the country so much).

Bright yellow and orange has been used for hunting in the states due to contrast with muted colors in natural surroundings in the country, though that may not be the case in the City (as a yellow cab just behind you and a yellow helmet equals no vis.). A light value like white or yellow will show up great against any medium or dark background (due to value change) of which there is often plenty available in the environment. Not many things are colored orange so it's a good contrast with most of the environment (though it's value will blend into the background a bit more since it is darker than yellow or white). Colorblind people will only notice value contrast if you've picked a color that they don't see correctly.

I would guess white the best choice since it is the lightest value and would stand out against almost any background value except for white. White may be especially good in the City where you might have over saturation of color differences in the environment making the sleepy tune it out and default to more noticing value difference. Value contrast is often noted first by many people regardless of color anyway.

I would guess that light yellow carrying some color intensity to it would also be a great choice. Yellow carries a property combination of both color and value contrast with most surroundings (white beats it value contrast wise), so yellow would be closely as good for a high viz. choice (most especially in rural areas which have duller environmental colors).

So as an Artist, I would say white or yellow, leaning a bit more toward clean shiny white in the city.

BaDgErSaRsE
30th November 2005, 02:15 PM
Apparently in Mexico (as in the UK - even though it's against the highway code), flashing your headlights means "sure, go ahead"

I thought flashing your lights UK were meant as a warning like "I'm here, watch out" but I stand corrected if I'm wrong.

I agree that loud pipes save lives... the EU would beg to differ :no:

mrgenius
30th November 2005, 03:23 PM
I think that the Ministry of Transport recommends white, which I use, also. When I stopped recently to consult a map a lady asked me for directions, thinking that I might be a police mobile because of my helmet.

Many years ago, a colleague of mine told me that he and a friend of his used to have identical Triumph bikes, similar to those used by the police, and white helmets. They used to amuse themselves by parking on a side road overlooking a main road, and watch all the speeding cars braking hard when the drivers noticed them.

Leon

back in the day, my mother rode a cb250 custom. she had a bright yellow helmet, and these blue pants with red stipes down the side. she was once attempting to pass a car and it was taking a while due to the meagre power output of the little honda. the driver of the car thought she was a cop and promptly pulled over! (w00t)

iansv1000
30th November 2005, 03:32 PM
ive worn all different types and colours .dont think it really matters theres allways a muppet around the next corner just waiting to pull out in front of you . but if comfort is an issue i just bought a kbc helmet its very quiet and comftable .and they do bright colours and not to expensive half the price of my arai and probbibly a better helmet .you just ar not paying for the name.

Kyoseki
30th November 2005, 03:45 PM
I thought flashing your lights UK were meant as a warning like "I'm here, watch out" but I stand corrected if I'm wrong.

I agree that loud pipes save lives... the EU would beg to differ :no:
The highway code states that flashing your lights is akin to sounding your horn, as in saying "I am here", but most people use it as a "sure, go ahead" now, and those are two signals you definitely don't want to cross.

Loud pipes help, I've definitely seen cars want to move into my line but avoid it after hearing me, but it's still not all of them, some idiot decided to perform a lane-change mid-corner on me this morning despite my pumping out about 110 dB 6' from his/her driver-side window.

hkyglie
30th November 2005, 05:08 PM
Most studies on colour blindness show that the majority of people that are colour blind cannot see the colour RED. As someone who has owned his share of red vehicles & helmets, I would have to agree......

Chainsaw Willie!
30th November 2005, 05:22 PM
...people that are colour blind cannot see the colour RED. I think that may have come out differently than what you meant.

The color red is not invisable to those who are color blind (in this spectrum). These people are merely not able to tell the differece between red and brown. They can still see the red motorcyle with the red jacket and the red helmet, they just don't know exactly what color it is. They may not know that the helmet is red but the jacket is brown. They do know it is not black, white, yellow, blue, green, paisly with checks around the waist, or perhaps a touch of seersucker with an open neck.

hkyglie
30th November 2005, 05:49 PM
I think that may have come out differently than what you meant.

The color red is not invisable to those who are color blind (in this spectrum). These people are merely not able to tell the differece between red and brown. They can still see the red motorcyle with the red jacket and the red helmet, they just don't know exactly what color it is. They may not know that the helmet is red but the jacket is brown. They do know it is not black, white, yellow, blue, green, paisly with checks around the waist, or perhaps a touch of seersucker with an open neck.
Yep I understand all that, they do not see the colour red as red. Which in, an of itself, defeats the purpose of RED. Most people think that "if I have something red it will make me more visible". Unfortunately that is not true for the majority of the people that are colour blind............

Chainsaw Willie!
30th November 2005, 07:09 PM
So, do they not notice the Red/Brown color?
Is there a large problem with colorblind people running into fire trucks because they cannot tell if it is a red truck or a brown truck? Surely they can still tell the diffrence between the red/brown truck and the grey pavement, the blue minivan, the green grass, or a cold steel rail.

Unfortunately that is not true for the majority of the people that are colour blind............The majority of deaf people cannot hear your loud pipe or your horn. Does that make your loud pipe and horn pointless the majority of the time you are on the road?

Are the majority of bike-killing cage-drivers color blind?

rayo
1st December 2005, 03:08 AM
snip...
And deaf.

I got an Axis Yellow X-11 for visibility (well the helmet for function and the color for vis).

tacp_daddy
1st December 2005, 03:23 AM
I saw a straight chrome helmet before.. very, very shinny, especially when headlights hit it at night ;)

hkyglie
1st December 2005, 04:42 PM
So, do they not notice the Red/Brown color?
Is there a large problem with colorblind people running into fire trucks because they cannot tell if it is a red truck or a brown truck? Surely they can still tell the diffrence between the red/brown truck and the grey pavement, the blue minivan, the green grass, or a cold steel rail.

The majority of deaf people cannot hear your loud pipe or your horn. Does that make your loud pipe and horn pointless the majority of the time you are on the road?

The thought behind this thread was what is the most visible colour......So is brown more visible than red? Also, differrent shades of red produce different effects with colour blind individuals. My only point here is that you cannot rely on red to make you more visible........

Chainsaw Willie!
1st December 2005, 05:35 PM
Ok, I'll stop messin' with ya.

peterrose
2nd December 2005, 02:36 PM
I am a little colour blind, it can vary from really bad to pretty mild which I seem to have.

The colours I have problems with are the green- karkie-brown shades.

Bright green is clearly ..well.. green to me and brown is brown but the smaller the area and the more "SHADES OF" can trick me. Karkie, is it green or brown, now I can stare at something, my old kitchen trim on the units was a classic example, it would look greenish one second then brownish the next.

I'm still not sure what colour it really was.

I may have trouble with some other colours as when I've done those silly charts at the doctors or at medicals, there are some that I can't see.
Light or pale pink maybe a faint purple shade tp me, but it's so mild that it doesn't effect me in normal life.

Copper still looks good to me :banana:

Pete

christensen
2nd December 2005, 04:00 PM
Ok here is the link but as posted above dont look if you are squeamish.

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.viperalley.com/gallery/data/500/medium/P1010033.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.viperalley.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/20324/ppuser/553&h=600&w=800&sz=131&tbnid=OY0b9z5hxGsJ:&tbnh=106&tbnw=142&hl=en&start=18&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbike%2Bcrash%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%2 6lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26sa%3DG

http://www.viperalley.com/gallery/data/500/medium/P1010032.jpg

http://www.viperalley.com/gallery/data/500/P1010031.jpg

http://www.viperalley.com/gallery/data/500/P1010030.jpg
not this color:shock:

svtrev
2nd December 2005, 04:38 PM
I am planning to buy a new helmet. I have decided that function is more important than than outright fashion. Since the head is the highest point most visible on the motorcycle, my question is, what is the most visible color for a helmet. I read that Shoei used to make a helmet in that safety orange color. I have been eyeing a Vivid Yellow Shoei RF-1000.

I'm Boomer and I'm gone!

The Shoei looks good :first: and its a really good helmit to I have the Kagayama rep confortable and quiet :banana:

Boomer
2nd December 2005, 08:59 PM
not this color:shock:

Whoa man, what the phuck! Looks like red is the color of dead.

christensen
3rd December 2005, 01:43 PM
Whoa man, what the phuck! Looks like red is the color of dead.

LOL that is a nasty pic. i cant help but stare:first: