: Is my Power Commander missing connectors? (Pics)

TheFleshRocket
30th August 2008, 08:41 PM
I bought a used PCIII USB for my SV. The part number is 314-411, which Dynojet lists as the unit for an '03-'04 SV1000. The problem is that the directions refer to plugging the PCIII connectors inline with the fuel connector and the throttle position sensor. Logic suggests that I would need four connectors on the PCIII to be able to plug it inline with two connectors. However, my PCIII only has two connectors, one ground cable, and one red wire with a blade-type plug on it whose purpose remains unbeknownst to me. The two connectors are not of the three-wire style of the TPS connection, so I assume they must plug inline with the "fuel connector".

Those of you that have installed PCIIIs, please have a look at mine and tell me if it's missing anything.

Here are the Dynojet instructions. I'm specifically referring to the connector referred to in step 6.
http://www.powercommander.com/downloads/314/install/411/eng314-411.pdf

Here are the pics of my PCIII:

http://www.thefleshrocket.com/images/bike/sv/pc3/DSC04606_resize.JPG

http://www.thefleshrocket.com/images/bike/sv/pc3/DSC04607_resize.JPG

http://www.thefleshrocket.com/images/bike/sv/pc3/DSC04608_resize.JPG

http://www.thefleshrocket.com/images/bike/sv/pc3/DSC04609_resize.JPG

Thanks!

<edit > I added the images with [img] [/im g] around them which generally makes them appear in the thread instead of being just links, but for some reason it doesn't work here.

COPPER TONE
30th August 2008, 11:12 PM
I just installed a power commander on my '03 about 2 weeks ago. I think they gave you the wrong one. Same part # 314-411 but wrong mod.
My bikes getting repainted wright now or I'd send you some pictures, but mine had at least 6 plug connectors,a ground wire and definitely didn't have that red wire. :doh:

If you need some pictures I can get you some probable monday knight.

TheFleshRocket
30th August 2008, 11:27 PM
Sure, pictures would be cool if they're not too much trouble. Isn't it a bit strange that it would be the right part number but not be the correct unit?

Steve03
31st August 2008, 12:40 AM
I put one on mine way back and if I remember correctly it only has one “in line” pair of connectors – the TPS connection is just one wire that you tap into your TPS signal wire. I think they gave me one of those blue Scotch-lock connectors for the TPS wire but your better off soldering and sealing the connection.

Steve03
31st August 2008, 01:13 AM
They Changed it! :doh: – you need the old instructions. I’m trying to upload the PDF file but not having any luck yet.

Steve03
31st August 2008, 01:20 AM
I have the instructions but can’t upload them – the pdf file keeps showing up as a jpeg and only showing the cover page. Can anyone explain how to do it (and pretend your talking to Homer Simpson – cause you pretty much are).

gbauto
31st August 2008, 01:55 AM
that's the same unit i have on my bike. the six pin connectors plug into the injector harness on the bike-the pcIII intercepts the signal from the bikes computer and modifies it. the single small wire taps into the pink and white wire on the tps harness-solder it rather than use the wire tap. the large black wire connects to the neg terrminal on the battery. it's the connector in the lower l/h corner of the pic with the arrow pointing to it.

COPPER TONE
31st August 2008, 02:07 AM
Here is a link to install your power commander.
www.suzukisv1000.com/faq/power_commander_install.htm

I'm going to have to take pictures of mine' It's 2003-2004 SV1000 PCIII USB
PC314-411. But mine didn't come with a red wire it has inline connectors. 2 for the fuel connector. 2 for the TPS and the ground wire.

gbauto
31st August 2008, 02:17 AM
or you could use the much clearer instructions that copper tone linked to.........

COPPER TONE
31st August 2008, 02:26 AM
Here are the install instructions mine came with. Fig.C,D is different then yours. Instead of splicing in the red wire mine has 2 plugs for the TPS. One White plug and one black plug.

www.powercommander.com/downloads/314/install/411/eng314-411.pdf

Sorry had to edit link try it again!

TheFleshRocket
31st August 2008, 03:01 AM
Thanks everyone. I guess my PCIII must just be original version without the second set of OEM connectors.

I got it for a pretty good price, but I really don't like the idea of cutting into the existing wiring harness. I'll check with Dynojet after the weekend to see if I can get an OEM-style harness to plug in instead.

danci1973
31st August 2008, 10:55 AM
Thanks everyone. I guess my PCIII must just be original version without the second set of OEM connectors.

I got it for a pretty good price, but I really don't like the idea of cutting into the existing wiring harness. I'll check with Dynojet after the weekend to see if I can get an OEM-style harness to plug in instead.
Well, I'm intresested too - I got the 'old' version and I don't like wire taps...

If you get some info from Dynojet, please let me know.

D.

imdying
31st August 2008, 08:06 PM
Just make an inline connector with a male spade one side and a female spade the other... then you can remove it any time.

TheFleshRocket
2nd September 2008, 08:46 PM
Well, I'm intresested too - I got the 'old' version and I don't like wire taps...
If you get some info from Dynojet, please let me know.
D.

Bad news. The Dynojet rep I spoke to said they don't offer a service to retrofit OEM connectors onto the blade-type connector, nor do they sell the connectors. I think I am just going to buy a brand new PCIII. It's a lot more money but I feel much better about having OEM connectors for everything, so that if I ever remove it, the wiring harness will still be virgin.

TheFleshRocket
2nd September 2008, 08:47 PM
Just make an inline connector with a male spade one side and a female spade the other... then you can remove it any time.

How do you mean? Wouldn't that either require me to cut through the insulation on one of the wires, or to have a separate OEM-style connector to mount inbetween the TPS and the TPS plug?

peterrose
2nd September 2008, 08:56 PM
I recommend contacting SeaStar Superbikes for any questions regarding power commanders.

They have a web site search seastar superbikes norfolk A140 kawasaki Ducati dealers.

TheFleshRocket
2nd September 2008, 09:11 PM
I recommend contacting SeaStar Superbikes for any questions regarding power commanders.
They have a web site search seastar superbikes norfolk A140 kawasaki Ducati dealers.

Who are they, and how would they be able to help me in a way that Dynojet wouldn't be able to?

I don't mean to be rude--just want to make sure there's a good reason for me to contact them when I've already come up to a dead end after contacting the manufacturer.

2WIN
2nd September 2008, 09:14 PM
Who are they, and how would they be able to help me in a way that Dynojet wouldn't be able to?

I don't mean to be rude--just want to make sure there's a good reason for me to contact them when I've already come up to a dead end after contacting the manufacturer.

I'd just buy the newer one. The only wire you have to tap is the TPS wire and I stripped the insulation off the stock wire, soldered the new wire onto it and then tapped it. The Scotch-Loks they send are CRAP so do not use them.

I bought mine used too 3 years ago.:)

peterrose
2nd September 2008, 09:21 PM

It's just that the guy there was so helpful and spends all day every day just fitting power commanders, setting them up, sorting out problems with them etc. If you have a problem he's probably seen it before.

Pete

imdying
2nd September 2008, 09:30 PM
How do you mean? Wouldn't that either require me to cut through the insulation on one of the wires, or to have a separate OEM-style connector to mount inbetween the TPS and the TPS plug?

Shocking I know... pretty difficult stuff, but I'm sure you'll be fine :elephant:

TheFleshRocket
2nd September 2008, 09:36 PM
I'd just buy the newer one. The only wire you have to tap is the TPS wire and I stripped the insulation off the stock wire, soldered the new wire onto it and then tapped it. The Scotch-Loks they send are CRAP so do not use them.

That's what I'm going to do--I've found a new one for $280 shipped which sounds like about as good of a deal as I'll find.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/5/90/6240/21078/PITEM/Dynojet-Power-Commander-III-USB-2003-Suzuki-SV1000S-Parts.aspx

TheFleshRocket
2nd September 2008, 09:52 PM
Shocking I know... pretty difficult stuff, but I'm sure you'll be fine :elephant:

I know it's not hard. I've cut and spliced my share of wires in the past. I just don't want to do it. I want my wiring harness to be virgin if I ever remove the PCIII. Using a wiretap negates that and makes me a sad panda.

TheFleshRocket
2nd September 2008, 09:53 PM
It's just that the guy there was so helpful and spends all day every day just fitting power commanders, setting them up, sorting out problems with them etc. If you have a problem he's probably seen it before.

Pete

Gotcha. I appreciate the suggestion, but the only problem is having to use a wiretap (which I know how to do) as opposed to an actual installation problem. I'm going to just buy a new PCIII with the OEM connectors which will resolve my problem entirely. Thanks, though.

imdying
2nd September 2008, 10:07 PM
I know it's not hard. I've cut and spliced my share of wires in the past. I just don't want to do it. I want my wiring harness to be virgin if I ever remove the PCIII. Using a wiretap negates that and makes me a sad panda.Why? Nobody will either know or care.

TheFleshRocket
2nd September 2008, 10:22 PM
Why? Nobody will either know or care.

.. except me.

imdying
2nd September 2008, 10:40 PM
Well, you're pretty much stuck with getting a later unit (assuming what arrives actually has an inline connector for the TPS and isn't old stock with that tap :lol:).

imdying
2nd September 2008, 10:45 PM
Had another thought.... you could be crafty and splice that beyatch somewhere else in the loom... anywhere but the conventional place, maybe up near the ECU... all ninja stz yo :rofl:

/edit: Having thought about it some more... you can remove the loom covering on the portion that goes past the ecu wiring junction, it's only a self adhesive cloth type tape... do your dirty deeds, stick it back down, factory :D

TheFleshRocket
3rd September 2008, 01:50 PM
Well, you're pretty much stuck with getting a later unit (assuming what arrives actually has an inline connector for the TPS and isn't old stock with that tap :lol:).

I called the vendor I listed above, and they told me "all of our PCIIIs should be the new style", so I am going to order one from them. (Along with a set of Power 2CTs.) I shipped the used one back to the seller last night, so there is no chance of me trying to install it.

Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions.

GR8WHITE
3rd September 2008, 06:32 PM

I had the same question a bit ago when i first got my bike because I went on the power commander site and the pcIII on my bike doesnt plug in how the one on their website does, it is because the one installed on my bike (03 sv1000s) was one of the first versions of it and you have to tap the tps wire for signal instead of have a nice nifty plug that you can just plug in between. it will still work the same but i soldered my connection into the tps wire and took off the stupid scotch lock. fortunately 2win helped me with this question a bit ago and let me know about the older model pcIII that i had on my bike, at first i thought someone maybe used the wrong year or model and made it work on my bike. personally i dont care about having the older one the newer one is no better than the older one, like imdying said nobody will know but you but if you wanna burn 100.00 bucks in the difference for piece of mind then I understand good luck.

nocontrol
4th September 2008, 03:52 AM
First off, can anyone confirm that it is the "newer" ones that have the dual plugs? I think it is EXTREMELY poor quality to include a wiretap in the setup.

What you need to do if you have the wire tap one:
1) Remove TPS plug and pull down out of the frame
2) Remove the white plastic from inside the plug, pull it out
3) Depress the release for the PINK wire
4) Slide the rubber insulator back and over the pin/connection
5) Uncrimp the holds on the INSULATION for the pink wire/terminal
6) Take a 6" piece of wire, remove the insulation from about 3/8" of the end
7) Feed the wire THROUGH the rubber insulator
8) WRAP the wire around the very BASE of the terminal
9) ROUTE the insulation of the new wire along the existing wire
10) CRIMP the holds back DOWN over BOTH wires
11) slide the rubber insulator back over into the original location
12) put the pin BACK in the connector
13) put a spade connector on the other side of the lead you have created and plug it into the PC3

Cutting/soldering the main harness or using the supplied wiretap is POOR worksmanship, do not do that.

imdying
4th September 2008, 04:13 AM
One could argue that fucking the factory waterproofing on the pin is poor workmanship.

nocontrol
4th September 2008, 04:42 AM
One could argue that fucking the factory waterproofing on the pin is poor workmanship.

doesnt fuck anything when you slide both the wires through it and fully seat it back in the plug. :mellow:

TheFleshRocket
4th September 2008, 07:10 PM
First off, can anyone confirm that it is the "newer" ones that have the dual plugs? I think it is EXTREMELY poor quality to include a wiretap in the setup.
Cutting/soldering the main harness or using the supplied wiretap is POOR worksmanship, do not do that.

That was my thoughts on the matter. I asked the Dynojet rep about the wiretaps, and he said "maybe we didn't have the OEM plugs available at the time". I find that a little hard to believe, because the PCIII did come with the OEM plugs for the fuel injectors. I think it's more likely that the blade-type plug was substituted as a cost-saving measure.

I bought a used Dobeck Performance TFI unit for my Z1000 a couple years ago (it's also a fuel-system modifier, but can only be used to add fuel to the stock map via dials on the PCIII, not subtract it like a PCIII) and it came with the "you splice them in" connectors for the fuel injectors. I called up Dobeck and they said they would retrofit the OEM connectors onto my unit. I don't remember how much I paid, but I'm pretty sure it was less than $50. And what I got back wasn't my TFI with OEM connectors spliced onto it, but what appeared to be a brand new TFI, complete with the OEM connectors already attached.

So if Dobeck could do it, I don't know why Dynojet can't.

Unfortunately, the PCIII seems like the best solution for smoothing out the SV's fuel-injection, so I can't go anywhere else. If there was a company that was a bit more willing to work with me, I'd go with them instead.

nocontrol
4th September 2008, 07:53 PM
That was my thoughts on the matter. I asked the Dynojet rep about the wiretaps, and he said "maybe we didn't have the OEM plugs available at the time". I find that a little hard to believe, because the PCIII did come with the OEM plugs for the fuel injectors. I think it's more likely that the blade-type plug was substituted as a cost-saving measure.

I bought a used Dobeck Performance TFI unit for my Z1000 a couple years ago (it's also a fuel-system modifier, but can only be used to add fuel to the stock map via dials on the PCIII, not subtract it like a PCIII) and it came with the "you splice them in" connectors for the fuel injectors. I called up Dobeck and they said they would retrofit the OEM connectors onto my unit. I don't remember how much I paid, but I'm pretty sure it was less than $50. And what I got back wasn't my TFI with OEM connectors spliced onto it, but what appeared to be a brand new TFI, complete with the OEM connectors already attached.

So if Dobeck could do it, I don't know why Dynojet can't.

Unfortunately, the PCIII seems like the best solution for smoothing out the SV's fuel-injection, so I can't go anywhere else. If there was a company that was a bit more willing to work with me, I'd go with them instead.

Yeah, I was a bit leary when they told me I probably had an "older" unit, I would not be suprised if they switch from including the plugs to using a wiretap. I bought and resold a GSXR1000 unit from 06, so it was fairly new, and it had the wiretap design built in.

TheFleshRocket
4th September 2008, 08:11 PM
Yeah, I was a bit leary when they told me I probably had an "older" unit, I would not be suprised if they switch from including the plugs to using a wiretap. I bought and resold a GSXR1000 unit from 06, so it was fairly new, and it had the wiretap design built in.

Oh, you think maybe the OEM connectors were the old style and the blade type is newer? I'm pretty sure that the opposite is the case. I checked the current instructions on Dynojet's site for the 650 and 1000, and they both have pictures of OEM connectors for all plugs, and no blade-type connectors.