Go Back   SV1000 Portal > General SV stuff > SV1000 discussion

Old 25th March 2005, 01:41 PM
Moped rider
 ♂
United States
Cleveland, Ohio
Bike: 03 Suzuki SV1000S
FRAM OIL FILTER # PH6018

Has anybody used the this Frame filter number PH6018, just wondered if there are any issues with it. I know we can all buy the proper Suzuki filter, (my bikes an 03 SV1000S). But I saw this filter at Walmart, much cheaper and alot more accessible than runniing to bike shop. Being a shopper they also have alot of oils to choose from, had Castrol motorcycle oil in 20w-50 which I think 10w-40 is proper recommended weight for our bikes. One thread linked to a retired anylst in the petrolum field, he recommended any good oil that didn't say "Energy Conserving" in the circle on the back. Thus the 10w-40's apply to this. He especially liked the Heavy Duty oils like Shell Rotella 15w-40. ANY THOUGHTS ????? :supsmiley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25th March 2005, 03:04 PM
Scooter boy
 ♂
United States
Sacramento CA.
Bike: Copper SV1000s
Awards Showcase
Mod Monkey: For those who have done many standard mods or a very unique one to their SV. - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 1
I would never even think about putting a Fram filter on any of my vehicles. They are crap IMO....There are a ton of threads about oil and a few good websites about what makes a good oil filter and how they perform. Sorry I am at work and don't have the URL's handy.

I just stick with the Suzuki filters. I buy them in bulk from my dealer so i don't have to run down there all the time.
Old 25th March 2005, 03:16 PM
EVIL TWIN
 ♂
United States
Marquette, Michigan, US
Bike: 2008 Yamaha R1
Awards Showcase
GFX Award: This award is presented to those who show excellent graphical skills around the forums - Issue reason:  Mod Monkey: For those who have done many standard mods or a very unique one to their SV. - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 2
No matter what anybodys opinion is, here is one fact. I have used them (Fram) and am using them now, and never have had any problem. I'm not sure if that is the # I am using on my SV, but they have always worked fine for me. For those who say they are crap, I would like to see some actual fact to back it up, otherwise they are all only opinions.
Old 25th March 2005, 03:57 PM
Scooter boy
 ♂
United States
Sacramento CA.
Bike: Copper SV1000s
Awards Showcase
Mod Monkey: For those who have done many standard mods or a very unique one to their SV. - Issue reason:  
Well my opinion was based on this guys research....well not really scientific but you get the idea.

http://www.twocreeks.net/toby/oil_filters/index.shtml

just click on the brand on the left side....
Old 25th March 2005, 04:03 PM
Forum whore
 ♂
United States
Bothell, WA
Bike: 03 SV1000S Silver, 03 SV1
Awards Showcase
Good Neighbor: For altruistically offering items to fellow members free, for postage only, for donation to site, for large discount, etc. - Issue reason: donation to the young rider Good Neighbor: For altruistically offering items to fellow members free, for postage only, for donation to site, for large discount, etc. - Issue reason: Tires and an entire scooter! Helping Hand: For helping site members and sharing mechanical expertise IN PERSON. - Issue reason: as nominated by Bob Mod Monkey: For those who have done many standard mods or a very unique one to their SV. - Issue reason:  Instructor Award: An award for those that have posted helpful instruction on SV modification and maintenance. - Issue reason:  Portal Vet: This is awarded to those people that we think are veterans of the forums. Those who have been here for a long time, built a raport with members and stayed active. - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 6
I personally don't use Fram filters. I stick with OEM filters and they can be purchased online for cheaper then local dealers stock them at. However filters are like the great oil debate. It probably does not matter what you use as long as you change it on a regular schedule. Many of us probably change as often as 1,000 to 1,500 miles simply because we can't rack up the miles that fast.
Old 25th March 2005, 04:29 PM
Waiting to go for a boat ride
 ♂
United States
IOWA
Bike: K3 SVS K6 VMAX 1198
Awards Showcase
Good Neighbor: For altruistically offering items to fellow members free, for postage only, for donation to site, for large discount, etc. - Issue reason: Seat Cover for site donation Helping Hand: For helping site members and sharing mechanical expertise IN PERSON. - Issue reason: For tuning three fellow SV'rs bikes Portal Vet: This is awarded to those people that we think are veterans of the forums. Those who have been here for a long time, built a raport with members and stayed active. - Issue reason: test Forum Navigator: For those who know their way around the deepest, darkest parts of this site. - Issue reason:  Meet Freak Award: For those who regularly attend SV meets. - Issue reason:  Mod Monkey: For those who have done many standard mods or a very unique one to their SV. - Issue reason:  
Here's another one for ya to look at!
http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterStudy.html

I use the Suzuki filter.

Cheers

It's all done with smoke in the mirrors.

No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.
Old 25th March 2005, 04:33 PM
Dynamic Chaos Technician
 ♂
United States
just a short walk away from Nike Site S-13/14
Bike: '03 Copper SV1000S
Awards Showcase
Helping Hand: For helping site members and sharing mechanical expertise IN PERSON. - Issue reason: as nominated by Bob Mod Monkey: For those who have done many standard mods or a very unique one to their SV. - Issue reason:  Instructor Award: An award for those that have posted helpful instruction on SV modification and maintenance. - Issue reason:  Portal Vet: This is awarded to those people that we think are veterans of the forums. Those who have been here for a long time, built a raport with members and stayed active. - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shelly
However filters are like the great oil debate. It probably does not matter what you use as long as you change it on a regular schedule.

Just like my stand on oil. Nobody has produced any engine failures or pre-mature engine wear due to buying the wrong oil.

Although the "hacksaw the sucker apart, and look at the guts" study someone did in his garage is compelling to the belief that Fram uses cheaper components and a cheaper manufacturing process, I again ask the question:

Has anyone here had an engine failure due to purchasing the wrong oil filter?

Once again I find myself trading my heros for ghosts.
Everyday it's getting harder and harder to tell blue skies from pain or a green field from a cold steel rail.
Old 25th March 2005, 05:21 PM
Hardcore Biker
 ♂
United States
North Carolina
Bike: Any and All
I use a permanent filter and just clean it out.

Charlie
Old 25th March 2005, 05:37 PM
Forum whore
 ♂
United States
Bike: Ex SV1000S
Awards Showcase
Forum Navigator: For those who know their way around the deepest, darkest parts of this site. - Issue reason:  Mod Monkey: For those who have done many standard mods or a very unique one to their SV. - Issue reason:  Portal Vet: This is awarded to those people that we think are veterans of the forums. Those who have been here for a long time, built a raport with members and stayed active. - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 3
Wouldn't personaly use them

Fram has had recalls on their motorcycle filters in the past due to them blowing off the bike. http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcdaily/day0003.html These were not the same filter you are asking about but that is more than enough for me to stay away. Will the fram work? Sure. Will it blow off your bike? Odds are that you will never have that problem. Would I take that risk? Hell no. For just about the same price you can use stp. No paper end caps and no recalls. $6 at Autozone.
Old 25th March 2005, 05:44 PM
is in the third level of Hell
 ♂
France
Surrounded by the best biking roads in the world
Bike: sv1000s stealth model
Awards Showcase
International Rescue: For providing aid and succour to a fellow SVer in distress on foreign shores. - Issue reason: For helping rescue Mr Rose Helping Hand: For helping site members and sharing mechanical expertise IN PERSON. - Issue reason: Kilo in his hour of need Wind-up Award: For those who wind-up other forum members - Issue reason:  International Visitors Award: ...for those that have travelled abroad to meet up and ride with other members in a far off land - Issue reason:  Discount Chief: For those who have negotiated a site discount - Issue reason:  Portal Vet: This is awarded to those people that we think are veterans of the forums. Those who have been here for a long time, built a raport with members and stayed active. - Issue reason:  
why spoil the ship for a halfpennies worth of tar?
Old 25th March 2005, 06:26 PM
Moped rider
 ♂
United States
Cleveland, Ohio
Bike: 03 Suzuki SV1000S
I have used Frams for years on my cars, no problems but for my bike .......the cutaways on the above links have made me a believer. Oils open up a whole nother issue, again various links have stated guys running Hondas 200,000+ on Castrol dino oils. I guess as long as we keep changing regularly the oil and filters should protect our V-twins just fine..Thanks again guys!
Old 25th March 2005, 07:22 PM
Dynamic Chaos Technician
 ♂
United States
just a short walk away from Nike Site S-13/14
Bike: '03 Copper SV1000S
Awards Showcase
Helping Hand: For helping site members and sharing mechanical expertise IN PERSON. - Issue reason: as nominated by Bob Mod Monkey: For those who have done many standard mods or a very unique one to their SV. - Issue reason:  Instructor Award: An award for those that have posted helpful instruction on SV modification and maintenance. - Issue reason:  Portal Vet: This is awarded to those people that we think are veterans of the forums. Those who have been here for a long time, built a raport with members and stayed active. - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperTop
Fram has had recalls on their motorcycle filters in the past due to them blowing off the bike. [url="http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcdaily/day0003.html"]
Excellent CopperTop!
It is good to see some hard evidence like that, instead of conjecture, hemming and hawing and theorizing about non-occuring events.

Fram having a history of a recall is a genuine reason for not using their product.

...so then, how is their record since 1995?

Once again I find myself trading my heros for ghosts.
Everyday it's getting harder and harder to tell blue skies from pain or a green field from a cold steel rail.
Old 26th March 2005, 03:22 AM
Highway Biker
 ♂
United States
Asheboro, NC
Bike: 2003 sv1000
I saw that Fram filter too, and was tempted. My local stealer, I mean dealer charged me 18 freaking dollars for a Zuki filter! How about somebody posting a link to online cheaper factory filters. thanks
Old 26th March 2005, 12:51 PM
wayfasterthanIneedtogo
 ♂
United States
Nebraska
Bike: 2005 ZX-10R
Awards Showcase
I have used Fram in the past and haven't had any evidence of problems with it but the local moto shop has some other bran recommended for zuk's and that is what I buy for about 6 bucks....I can't remember the name. I do use the Amsoil motorcycle synthetic and I can tell that my Motorcycle runs better with it.I have used the rotella with no ill effects. I have 8000 and some change on the odometer and I have changed the oil about 8 times at different intervals.Not sure about exact mileages but when it startes looking too dirty in the window,I change it! I keep all the reciepts and date and put the Mileage on them.
Old 26th March 2005, 01:26 PM
Waiting to go for a boat ride
 ♂
United States
IOWA
Bike: K3 SVS K6 VMAX 1198
Awards Showcase
Good Neighbor: For altruistically offering items to fellow members free, for postage only, for donation to site, for large discount, etc. - Issue reason: Seat Cover for site donation Helping Hand: For helping site members and sharing mechanical expertise IN PERSON. - Issue reason: For tuning three fellow SV'rs bikes Portal Vet: This is awarded to those people that we think are veterans of the forums. Those who have been here for a long time, built a raport with members and stayed active. - Issue reason: test Forum Navigator: For those who know their way around the deepest, darkest parts of this site. - Issue reason:  Meet Freak Award: For those who regularly attend SV meets. - Issue reason:  Mod Monkey: For those who have done many standard mods or a very unique one to their SV. - Issue reason:  
Quote:
Originally Posted by veeclone
I saw that Fram filter too, and was tempted. My local stealer, I mean dealer charged me 18 freaking dollars for a Zuki filter! How about somebody posting a link to online cheaper factory filters. thanks
I pay 10.75 for an OEM Suzuki filter! I would complain! I just tell them I'm NOT going to pay a lot for this muffler!!! LOL It might help that I'm a bigger guy and maybe a little intimidating!

Cheers

It's all done with smoke in the mirrors.

No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.