Go Back   SV1000 Portal > General SV stuff > SV1000 discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 17th March 2010, 01:59 AM
Hardcore Biker
 ♂
United States
Wilmington, Delaware
Bike: '03 sv,'06 sv,'02 B12
A suitable substitute for K&N air filter oil.

I did'nt see any K&N oil at the auto parts store, (though I've seen K&N products advertised there). And not wanting to drive far or wait days for a delivery, I'm hoping I can use something else in a pinch.

Has anybody used a substitute and what would it be?

As I remember the K&n oil isn't something with a solvent that evaporates out leaving a stable greasy film like the the Twin-Air stuff I use on the dirtbikes.

Nor is it watery like ATF. What would you use? Light motor oil like 5w-20? Or thick motor oil ... straight 40? Or thicker yet, like 90wt. gearoil?

Thanks, Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17th March 2010, 03:31 AM
N of Atlanta
 ♂
United States
N Georgia
Bike: 03 SV 1K, 08 GSX650F
Awards Showcase
Meet Freak Award: For those who regularly attend SV meets. - Issue reason: US SV rally Good Neighbor: For altruistically offering items to fellow members free, for postage only, for donation to site, for large discount, etc. - Issue reason: Cigars for OBS Portal Vet: This is awarded to those people that we think are veterans of the forums. Those who have been here for a long time, built a raport with members and stayed active. - Issue reason:  GFX Award: This award is presented to those who show excellent graphical skills around the forums - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 4
Sure they didn't have it? It comes packaged with the cleaner fluid in a box, called "Recharger" filter care service kit. Sometimes they have it behind the counter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg k&n.jpg (202.4 KB, 2 views)
Yoshi 3/4 (previously Scorpions), Smart TRE, Watsen Design front signals, Mototek undertail, TL shift lever, Vesrah HH pads, suzuki hugger, seat cowl + Jesters cowl pad, Oberon bits, Chewy's PAIR removal kit, can anglers and mirror spacers, Top Yokes handlebar conversion kit, Fender Extender, MRA Vario, PCIII, carbon stick-ons, PIAA 330/400 Hz horns, bling bits...
Old 19th March 2010, 02:30 AM
Just a guy with an SV1K
 ♂
Canada
Edmonton, Alberta
Bike: 2007 SV1000S - Black
Awards Showcase
Track Day: For those attending a trackday on their SV - Issue reason: Broke yr duck :) 
Total Awards: 1
Depending on what's available, you can also use the recharge kits from Airaid and AFE as well. Wanna make your K&N filter blue? Use AFE
Old 19th March 2010, 09:52 AM
Forum whore
 ♂
United States
Sacramento, California
Bike: Suzuki SV1000N
Here is a 6.5oz aerosol spray can of genuine K&N filter oil for only $5.32:

http://www.amazon.com/99-0504-Air-Fi.../dp/B00029WY9Y
Old 20th March 2010, 08:04 AM
53,500 miles and counting
 ♂
United Kingdom
running out of birthdays fast.
Bike: 114.6 bhp & 73.7 ft/lbs
Awards Showcase
International Rescue: For providing aid and succour to a fellow SVer in distress on foreign shores. - Issue reason: For Services to Portugal Track Day: For those attending a trackday on their SV - Issue reason: As promised :) Rideout Leader: for guiding all those who meet up around the specific routes - Issue reason: 07 meet Good Neighbor: For altruistically offering items to fellow members free, for postage only, for donation to site, for large discount, etc. - Issue reason: Fred Dibnah DVD and THE BOX Helping Hand: For helping site members and sharing mechanical expertise IN PERSON. - Issue reason: Have this on me Dumb Ass: For being a total Dumb Ass - Issue reason: For your brilliand efforts in varnishing the hall floor Wind-up Award: For those who wind-up other forum members - Issue reason:  International Visitors Award: ...for those that have travelled abroad to meet up and ride with other members in a far off land - Issue reason:  Meet Freak Award: For those who regularly attend SV meets. - Issue reason:  Mod Monkey: For those who have done many standard mods or a very unique one to their SV. - Issue reason:  Portal Vet: This is awarded to those people that we think are veterans of the forums. Those who have been here for a long time, built a raport with members and stayed active. - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 11
I've never used K&N filter lube stuff.

Just a quick spray over with any thin oil spray.

you can get way to anal with all this stuff.

Bear in mind most cars run fine for years and years with the same old cheap dirty air filter in, you'll sell yer bike in a few years time with hardly any miles on it anyway.

DO NOT CLICK THESE LINKS IF YOU ARE A LIMP WRISTED GAY BOY AS YOU MAY BE SHOCKED !!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hjz0l19WIQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_QbYOcoALM
Old 20th March 2010, 09:10 AM
Forum whore
 ♂
United States
Sacramento, California
Bike: Suzuki SV1000N
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterrose View Post

I had a really nice special foam air filter that I purchased for my Acura, made by a racing shop in Southern California. Discussion boards said that in my model the filter unleashes an unusual amount of horsepower. I noticed the difference right away.

I figured the same way, any thick oil should do, why spend more for genuine filter oil? Oil is oil. I had a bottle of STP on the shelf already, and I figured that it would be perfect since it was a nice thick viscosity. It completely ruined the filter....and now those special filters are out of production so I can't replace it.

I know that a K&N is of a different construction, but how often does it need to be cleaned and oiled? Every couple of years? And a can of K&N filter oil is only about $5 and easily available. It might be worth the extra couple of dollars to go with what the manufacturer recommends in this case.

Quote:
Bear in mind most cars run fine for years and years with the same old cheap dirty air filter in, you'll sell yer bike in a few years time with hardly any miles on it anyway.
I wouldn't leave a really dirty air filter in my bike, or car, for "years and years." Air filters are cheap enough, and easy to change. Changing out a dirty air filter usually makes a noticable difference is gas mileage, if nothing else. I'd prefer to have the few extra horsepower and MPG a clean filter provides.

Just another view.
Old 20th March 2010, 10:26 AM
 ♂
United Kingdom
Awards Showcase
International Rescue: For providing aid and succour to a fellow SVer in distress on foreign shores. - Issue reason: For Services to Portugal Track Day: For those attending a trackday on their SV - Issue reason: As promised :) Rideout Leader: for guiding all those who meet up around the specific routes - Issue reason: 07 meet Good Neighbor: For altruistically offering items to fellow members free, for postage only, for donation to site, for large discount, etc. - Issue reason: Fred Dibnah DVD and THE BOX Helping Hand: For helping site members and sharing mechanical expertise IN PERSON. - Issue reason: Have this on me Dumb Ass: For being a total Dumb Ass - Issue reason: For your brilliand efforts in varnishing the hall floor Wind-up Award: For those who wind-up other forum members - Issue reason:  International Visitors Award: ...for those that have travelled abroad to meet up and ride with other members in a far off land - Issue reason:  Meet Freak Award: For those who regularly attend SV meets. - Issue reason:  Mod Monkey: For those who have done many standard mods or a very unique one to their SV. - Issue reason:  Portal Vet: This is awarded to those people that we think are veterans of the forums. Those who have been here for a long time, built a raport with members and stayed active. - Issue reason:  
I wash and blow mine out every year on the bike, had it dyno'd the first time and later after another 12,000 miles with only 0.4 bhp difference.

DO NOT CLICK THESE LINKS IF YOU ARE A LIMP WRISTED GAY BOY AS YOU MAY BE SHOCKED !!!

Old 20th March 2010, 10:34 AM
Forum whore
 ♂
England
BIKE DREAM WORLD !
Bike: 2011 1250 naked bandit
Awards Showcase
Meet Freak Award: For those who regularly attend SV meets. - Issue reason:  Wind-up Award: For those who wind-up other forum members - Issue reason: For winding up folks on the cheats thread.  Thank Brian... Portal Vet: This is awarded to those people that we think are veterans of the forums. Those who have been here for a long time, built a raport with members and stayed active. - Issue reason: For your long term commitment to this forum International Visitors Award: ...for those that have travelled abroad to meet up and ride with other members in a far off land - Issue reason: Since you asked so nicely... Dumb Ass: For being a total Dumb Ass - Issue reason: Did someone forget to stop at the gas station with the others? Good Neighbor: For altruistically offering items to fellow members free, for postage only, for donation to site, for large discount, etc. - Issue reason: For helping out TrOjAn A LOT! Helping Hand: For helping site members and sharing mechanical expertise IN PERSON. - Issue reason: For helping out TrOjAn!   A LOT! Mod Monkey: For those who have done many standard mods or a very unique one to their SV. - Issue reason: For the many mods I can count... 
Total Awards: 8
Quote:

Oh so that`s why your bike smalls like a chip shop !:

I was on the 2009 bad ass tour !
Old 20th March 2010, 02:32 PM
 ♂
United Kingdom
Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrogeordy View Post
Oh so that`s why your bike smalls like a chip shop !:
Yeah, but the oils free