• 1 Post By tzk321
  • 1 Post By rowland85

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 23rd April 2020, 03:31 AM Thread Starter
Obsessed with SV1000s

♂ United States
Springfield, MOFO
Garage
What did you do to your non-SV1000 today?

This thread is for any bike besides our beloved SV1000. Post up what you did or are going to do to your non-SV1000.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Two of my favorite posts here on the SV Portal are by Chainsaw Willie!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 23rd April 2020, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Obsessed with SV1000s

♂ United States
Springfield, MOFO
Garage
Due to a health issue, I got rid of my 2015 Yamaha FJR1300 ES about a month ago and replaced it with a nice and about 100 lbs lighter 2008 Honda VFR 800 Interceptor. Interceptors are mechanically reliable bikes but can suffer from electrical problems after some age/miles/exposure to water which causes corrosion of electrical connectors and subsequent shorting out of stuff like stators/regulators/rectifiers. I just got a VFRness in the mail today so over the next day or two, I'm going to take off the fairings and install it. While I'm at it, I'll also pull apart all the VFR's connectors and fill them with dielectric grease.

D.T. likes this.

and
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 23rd April 2020, 02:52 PM
Forum whore

♂ United States
Virginia
Many years ago I had a 1990 VFR 750. Beautiful bike.

I had to ride around with a spare r/r because I never knew when it might fail. It didn't help that Honda placed it under the plastic by the seat where it couldn't get any air flow.

There were actually quite a few other things that were disappointing about this bike. Read on if you wish.

After ~20,000 miles the transmission went south. Most likely it was a bent shift fork. I sold it as is and let the new buyer deal with it.

The fuel gauge was a nice touch but useless. It basically read either full or empty.

The bike was heavy and carried its weight high making low speed handling a real challenge.

It was a PITA to work on. Just about everything is more difficult on a V4 compared to a V twin.

Honda cut corners in several areas such as suspension, no stock center stand, no stock clock.

I'm sure the new models are much better than mine. Enjoy yours and ride safe.
Missing Link likes this.

"Hypocrisy isn't the Republicans' weakness. It's their platform" - Seth Myers

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 23rd April 2020, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed with SV1000s

♂ United States
Springfield, MOFO
Garage
LOL....I knew someone would post up a nightmare story about an Interceptor.

and
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 29th April 2020, 12:37 AM
Disturbed, very...

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
The VFR and the VTR-F had the same shit reg/rec.... filled with resin..... when it went, everything went with it... power, lights, engine....
Changed it out for a newer heat-sink version, and, installed large serrated washer between it and the frame to get a much better earth
never had an issue again.... (the washers idea came from a guy i knew who had some experience...haha)

One owner..... 311,000kms and counting...

2003 Copper SV1000S
Repainted Ford PE (Petroleum Mica)
Yoshi 2:1 collectors and Arrow titanium can...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 19th June 2020, 04:31 PM
L-Plate Rider

♂ United States
TX
Today I'm gonna put the new tires on my SV650S and clean it up a little. Also hoping to take a ride before the shipment guys arrive. We owned the bike together with my brother and last year he decided to buy a flat in Berlin and move there. He was looking for decent bike to buy for a while but couldn't find anything interesting so decided to get our SV650S shipped to Germany.
D.T. likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 9th October 2020, 04:09 PM
Knowledge is Horsepower

♂ United States
Moneyapolis, MN
Garage
I sold my big SV a year or so ago. Miss it. But my neck and wrists don't.

I have a 2012 V-strom 677 that's modded out the wazoo. Great bike.

Just came back to hang out and look around here for a while.

I have some stuff I'd like to get rid of too. Some SV parts. Probably give them away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1592934226204~2.jpg (1.15 MB, 11 views)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 6th November 2020, 07:32 AM
L-Plate Rider

Just got here and would love to know more about SV.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11th November 2020, 04:22 AM
Disturbed, very...

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowland85 View Post
Today I'm gonna put the new tires on my SV650S and clean it up a little. Also hoping to take a ride before the shipment guys arrive. We owned the bike together with my brother and last year he decided to buy a flat in Berlin and move there. He was looking for decent bike to buy for a while but couldn't find anything interesting so decided to get our SV650S shipped to Germany.
At least you wont have to pay for a steering conversion, they ride on the same side...... (....tomatoes heading my way.... lol..)

One owner..... 311,000kms and counting...

2003 Copper SV1000S
Repainted Ford PE (Petroleum Mica)
Yoshi 2:1 collectors and Arrow titanium can...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in