'03 SV650 motor unable to rotate through 360 degrees - SV1000 Portal

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 27th April 2012, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Fair weather rider

♂ United States
Mesa, AZ
'03 SV650 motor unable to rotate through 360 degrees

It's been a long time since I've had occasion to post here since I sold my SV1k, but here's hoping some helpful people can lend me opinions!

A friend dropped off his bike ('03 SV650) to me for an engine installation. He purchased a complete second-gen (EFI) engine on eBay to replace his (which had a busted transmission). I figured I'd at least do a valve check before putting the engine in the chassis.

I can rotate the engine only through about 280 degrees. I'm able to check the rear valve clearances (all within spec) at the correct cam position, but I cannot align the front cylinder to TDC. It feels like there is a solid mechanical interference near the TDC point for the front cylinder.

The bike is not in gear, the spark plugs have been removed, etc. When it hits this point it comes to a complete stop; attempting to turn the engine any farther counterclockwise simply loosens the crankshaft bolt. The pistons are moving, as determined by a long screwdriver through the plug hole riding on the piston.

This 2:00 video demonstrates what's going on.

Not to pollute the pool, but I'm guessing I have piston-valve interference on the front cylinder. I'd like to hear some opinions before I tear down the head on my buddy's engine.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 28th April 2012, 05:02 AM
A square wheel rollin' !!

♂ United States
About an hour south of Chicago
Pull the cams and see if it will spin. Don't lose the chain.

...............................Blake

I saw Yig. Or he saw me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 28th April 2012, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Fair weather rider

♂ United States
Mesa, AZ
I can do that, but it seems evident that the cams are rotating. What would I be diagnosing by removing the camshafts?

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 28th April 2012, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Fair weather rider

♂ United States
Mesa, AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilist View Post
Pull the cams and see if it will spin. Don't lose the chain.

...............................Blake
Cams are removed. No change; there's still a solid binding at the same point.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 28th April 2012, 10:41 PM

♂ United States
Sorry for the late response. I was just thinking that if the valves were hitting the pistons, that by removing the cams you are eliminating this possibility.

.....................Blake

I saw Yig. Or he saw me.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 28th April 2012, 10:45 PM

♂ United States
IDK. Try removing the side covers and inspect there. Could be a magnet in the alternator came loose and is binding it up. Fairly common on the SV1K's. Or could be some sort of drive/clutch issue on the other side.

If you don't see any issues there, then pull the heads. Perhaps it dropped a valve ? Maybe something got dropped into the intake ?

I suppose if you have the cams out, you should be able to remove the shim buckets and see if the valves are all still in place.

.........................Blake

I saw Yig. Or he saw me.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 30th April 2012, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Fair weather rider

♂ United States
Mesa, AZ
I put the cams back in and peered down the intake tract -- it looks like the intake valves aren't moving at all. Huh!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 1st May 2012, 01:47 PM

♂ United States
Bent valves lodged in the guides ?

Sounds like you're gonna have to pull the heads.

..................................Blake

I saw Yig. Or he saw me.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 3rd May 2012, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Fair weather rider

♂ United States
Mesa, AZ
I am at a loss; I'm not sure what else it could be. I can't see or hear any obstruction in the cylinder. I'd rather not pull the cylinder head, but that seems to be the next step. The rear cylinder appears to be fine, since I can get it to TDC.

Ugh.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 3rd May 2012, 05:37 PM

♂ United States
You can try looking into the side covers before you remove the heads. Could be a loose magnet or some sort of gear issue. Side covers are easy to remove , and quite a few guys have reported that if you are careful, you can remove them without destroying the gasket, meaning you can reuse them.

Good luck.

..................................Blake

I saw Yig. Or he saw me.

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 3rd May 2012, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Fair weather rider

♂ United States
Mesa, AZ
I don't know if I posted this here, but it looks like the intake valves on the front cylinder aren't moving at all. It seems like when the cam lobes come around to act on the bucket it just freezes. I can peer down into the intake port with a flashlight and the valves don't move a bit, which leads me to believe it's a valve issue rather than a magnet issue.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 3rd May 2012, 06:53 PM

♂ United States
Yeah, but you said that with the cams removed it still wouldn't spin, which leads me to believe that it is something other than the valves, unless they are stuck/bent in the open position.

.....................Blake

I saw Yig. Or he saw me.

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12th May 2012, 06:06 AM

♂ United States
Any luck ?

................Blake

I saw Yig. Or he saw me.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 14th May 2012, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Fair weather rider

♂ United States
Mesa, AZ
I ended up removing both cylinder heads and pulling what looked like a lot of welding slag from the front cylinder. I took off both jugs and still no dice. Ultimately I took off the clutch cover and found that the rear cam chain had slipped timing and bound up. Once I freed it, the motor began spinning.

Now for some testing and reassembly!
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 14th May 2012, 06:45 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Renton, WA
wow. sounds like you have some fun stuff in your future. serious wrenching, best of luck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in