Used bike with a lot of mileage..to buy or not? - SV1000 Portal

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 2nd February 2014, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of
Used bike with a lot of mileage..to buy or not?

I`ve had my eye on a sv650, 2004 model that is for sale. I met with the owner, talked about the bike, he even let me ride it...the bike seems in great shape(beside 2 bumps on the gas tank consistent with falling from the sidestand), but there is one problem...the bike has 94000 km on it. So i was wondering...what is you`r opinion? I can`t get the true history of the bike because i`m not 100% i can trust the owner, after all he is trying to sell the bike and he might be telling me what i want to hear instead of what the truth is.
We put the battery and started the bike on a cold weather. The bike started instantly. I gave it a test ride (in december...with snow along side of the road), and i could not find anything wrong with it.

I`m really confused now...should i get this bike or not? If i get it...what problems should i expect due to the mileage ?

Thank you and i apologize if i put this in the wrong place(i`m pretty new on this forum)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 2nd February 2014, 12:19 AM
Forum whore

♂ United States
Oceanside, California
Better be a very low price.

Ralph
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 2nd February 2014, 12:34 AM
Forum whore

♂ Ireland
dublin
Question is why bother?
Sv s are cheap bikes and 650 s are available in their hundreds. Why would you buy a bike with five times the average mileage from a dubious source.
Do yourself a favour and buy a nice straight clean bike with sensible mileage and good history.
Even if you spend a couple of hundred more, It will see you right in the end.
Walk away.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 2nd February 2014, 12:39 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Mexico
Mexico City, Mexico
Uhm, nope, NOPE, NOPE

If it was a SV1K I'd say go ahead, a bike that has been ridden is more likely to have had proper maintenance than a forgotten bike that sits neglected in the corner of a garage, and the SV1K engine can keep ticking for a LONG time...

But it's not, it's the 650, and they are notorious for burning oil around 100,000kms as the valve guides wear, so you'll have to do the valve guides. It's not a particularly hard job, but... Why bother? It's a cheap-ish bike and you should be able to find lots more with less kms on the clock. I'd only do it if it was a killer deal.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 2nd February 2014, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

The problem is that there are only 2 bikes on the market...for like 6 months so far..the one i want to get costs 1800 euros, and the other one they try to sell for 3500 euros, but when i talked to the owner, i persuaded him to lower the price to 3350(that one has 33k km on it). It`s a pretty small market here so i don`t really have much choice.

Oh, and the previous owned changed the suspension, and he also offers me 3 exhausts(not sure what brands tho). Oh and i believe him when he says that he has no time to ride it, cuz he works in Switcerland, and he usualy goes to work there every 3 monts, includin the summer, so he has only time to ride it during the spring, and spring is not realy warm here
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 2nd February 2014, 12:50 AM
Forum whore

♂ Ireland
dublin
Where do you live in Macedonia? I lived in Sarajevo for 6,5 years as a kid in the Tito days

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 2nd February 2014, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

I`m from Bitola
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 2nd February 2014, 01:03 AM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Between myself, a friend of mine and my brother we all have had high mileage SV650 and had near 0 problems. Far less problems than SV1000 with much less mileage. I sold my commuter SV650 with 42k miles (67500km) and it used no oil, and everything was great. My friends bike he bought new in 04, and sold it with 62k miles (99800km). You could never tell when riding it, it was running great, motor quiet and used no oil. My brothers bike he just sold with 78k miles (125500km). Started great, burned no oil and just kept running. We thought it would expire but never did.

It is all in how well it has been taken care of. If it starts and runs well and if the price is low enough why not? Make sure things have been serviced though like steering stem bearings, swingarm bearings, wheel bearings, chain, sprockets, clutch, forks... These things add up fast and can out weigh a high mileage in many cases
-ms

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 2nd February 2014, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

LIke i said, the the suspension is changed, the battery is new, brakes are good, no visible scratchings on the engine(beside the bumps on the tank but as far as i could see...it`s from falling either from low speed, or from the sidestand), the clutch seemed ok when i tried it(tho i`m not an expert...i tried slowly releasing the clutch with no throttle and it had no problems), the chain is new, as far as i could notice the bike has no problems keeping straight line, there was no oil leakage.
If i get it, i`ll need to pay for painting(to remove those bumps on the tank), registration and new tires(even tho they can be used for another season)
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 2nd February 2014, 03:40 AM
Fair weather rider

♂ United States
Elmhurst, Illinois
Used Bike Checklist

Here's a 17 point basic checklist:

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/...Checklist.aspx
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 2nd February 2014, 04:07 AM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

Nice one, thanks

Sent from my LG-E610 using Tapatalk
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 3rd February 2014, 08:34 AM
55,500 miles and counting

♂ United Kingdom
running out of birthdays fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs8c View Post
I`m from Bitola
Im no wiser ? Arentvthey an italian firm who make expensive motorbikes using japanese engines ?

If a bike hadnt been thrashed, had regular oil changes etc, then high miles wouldnt put me off,

Id look at the discs and tyres, if he tgrashes it the tyres will be worn to the edges and the discs scored/ worn.

My new toy. A 2005 Yamaha MT-01 1700cc torque monster.

DO NOT CLICK THESE LINKS IF YOU ARE A LIMP WRISTED GAY BOY AS YOU MAY BE SHOCKED !!!

Last edited by peterrose; 3rd February 2014 at 08:36 AM.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 3rd February 2014, 10:54 AM
Forum whore

♂ Ireland
dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterrose View Post
Im no wiser ? Arentvthey an italian firm who make expensive motorbikes using japanese engines ?
a bit like this

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/59/269...irst-Ride.aspx

07_bimota_tesi2d.jpg

Bimota_Tesi_4.jpg

GRRRRRR. Love the exhaust. it would be a nice fit on the SV

AU$ 52,000.00 a bargain. http://www.bikesales.com.au/bnbis/AG...Bimota-TESI-3D

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 3rd February 2014, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

The tires are worn , but not in that.."racing" way.

Sent from my LG-E610 using Tapatalk
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 3rd February 2014, 04:52 PM
55,500 miles and counting

♂ United Kingdom
running out of birthdays fast.
Well let me know what happens

My new toy. A 2005 Yamaha MT-01 1700cc torque monster.

DO NOT CLICK THESE LINKS IF YOU ARE A LIMP WRISTED GAY BOY AS YOU MAY BE SHOCKED !!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in