1Likes
  • 1 Post By twag4

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 3rd June 2019, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ Canada
Calgary, Canada
Another SV650S or SV1000s?

I had a 1st gen SV650S, lost it in a collision with some tool who turned left in front of me at an intersection, so I upgraded to a 2nd gen SV650s, this was recently stolen from my condo parkade.

So now I did like the FI better than the carbs so I probably wouldn't go back to the 1st gen, but other than being a bit heavier and different weight distribution, which bike would you choose, the SV1000S or the SV650s?

The SV650 had enough power to do extra illegal speeds but it did lack a bit on the top end.
I like how the SV650s was reliable for me and required little work... is the SV1000 similar?

How about hitting the twisty mountain roads? 1k or 650? I don't intend to take the bike to the track so mountain roads would be the limit of my
spirited riding

Which would you choose if you were to do it again and the purchase costs were close
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 3rd June 2019, 03:07 AM
Bike curious

♂ United States
Springfield, MOFO
Garage
Can you test ride used bikes up in Canada? I think a test ride on one would make your decision easier. Here in the U.S., there is not much price difference between used SV650s and SV1000s. Insurance may be another factor too though. I've never owned an SV650 and while they are obviously fantastic bikes, I couldn't imagine one would be worth owning more than an SV1000 if prices were about the same. SV1000s are pretty reliable bikes once you get the known weaknesses (flywheel magnets and green connector mainly) sorted. It's my favorite bike of all time by far.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 3rd June 2019, 03:44 AM
Forum whore

♂ United States
Virginia
I don't think there's any wrong decision. I'd expect the 650 to be more nimble in the twisties since it's a bit lighter. But then the 1000 has better and suspension and more hp.

Take your pick!

"Hypocrisy isn't the Republicans' weakness. It's their platform" - Seth Myers

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 3rd June 2019, 04:09 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
The old curvy sik-fidee felt like it had more kick then the pointy ones, but, that more to do with the sudden (compartively) supply of fuel compared to the FI system, but the FI system is very subtle about how it delivers the fuel, and in the end, you are doing quicker times then you expect....

As far as the 650 vs 1000.... there is no susbstitute for cubic centimetres....

Take them both for a ride, remembering that both bikes have forums (like this one) that are choked with awesome go faster and suspension mods to make the bike(s) suit you perfectly....

I might no' be a smart man Jenny....but i can pain' ma copper colored bike a dif'ren color.....
2003 Copper SV1000S
Repainted Ford PE (Petroleum Mica)
Yoshi 2:1 collectors and Arrow titanium can...
One owner..... 294,000kms and counting...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 9th June 2019, 05:11 PM
Moped rider

♂ United States
Enterprise, Al, USA
I have both a first and second gen SV650S and an SV1000S. Itís really a toss up between my 2004 650S and my 2004 1000S as to which one Iíd take over the other one. The first gen was my first, and what prompted me to get the other two SVís anyway. All have no PAIR system installed (2001 never had it). I put a second hand Ohlins rear shock, racetech gold valves and springs with different oil in the forks, M4 full race exhaust, stainless brake lines and HH pads on the brakes, and PCv with a Dyno tune on the 2004 650. It is very well sorted now, and I adore it! Much faster than the 2001 carbed model. I love that I can ride it hard, and not be at 150mph. It plays double duty on street and track days. The SV1000 got forks rebuilt with adjusted oil level, TRE mod, Holeshot performance exhaust, and it is much quicker than it was bone stock when I bought it. I also put a later model flywheel (2006 and on) that weighs half of the stock one, after finding loose but undamaged magnets on my stock one. Both are pretty low mileage bikes. The first time I rode the 1000 after servicing the forks with new seals and fork bushings, I cornered all the way to the edge of the tires. It is very easy for me to turn it hard and smooth. Turn in effort is more than the 650, but not bad. People complain about the weight, but I donít really notice that itís heavy. I have 7 bikes in all, and it is definitely subjective. It is so stable! It is obviously quicker by a large margin than the 650. I have to be very deliberate to be that smooth on the 650. It is a scalpel, and it demands my attention because of its ability to change direction/line mid corner. A really rough bit of pavement for example will cause it to change lines if Iím not attentive. The 1000 just doesnít do that. Granted, the 650 is a more purposeful sport oriented bike, but that is the way it is. I spent some money on both bikes, but have less than $3000 USD in my 2004 650, and $3500 in my 2004 1000 after all modifications. Iíd be happy with either of them, and crushed to give up either one of them. But if I must choose, Iíd choose the 1000 50.1% to 49.9% over the 650. Because of the smoothness, and the noise. It sounds magnificent! Even at idle, the gears in the valve train with their melodious whine, and the chugga chug of the engine working. The holeshot exhaust barks at the twist of the wrist, and the bike is just a great place to be when riding it!
Missing Link likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in