new owner - SV1000 Portal

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 20th September 2020, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

new owner

Hi all. recently bought my SV 1000s. So far so good very happy.

Looking forward to getting to know the bike properly and finding out some stuff.
Jobs already on the to-do list:

add db killers to open Vipers (I live in a place with horses around) DONE - must have lost at least 1 db- maybe shouldn't have hacked so much off

Improve comfort a tad

check vibration levels are normal ( drive chain criminally over-tightened as bought but still need to have throttle bodies balanced and add to bar end weight etc) Have had twins before but only Aprilias with balancers everywhere

Find out what the struts are for that seem to be bolted to frame/engine mounts ?

BTW my username --- I typed in SMIKE (smy name) Keyboard helpfully changed it to SMOKE any tips on how to correct would be most welcome.

Ta.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 20th September 2020, 09:58 PM
Forum whore

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
Welcome....

Should i assume you have searched the site before buying ?

Otherwise, ask as many questions as you can in the relevant forums, and you will learn how to improve/correct the bike to be its best....

Not sure about the username issue....Admin i spose.....

One owner..... 313,000kms and counting...

2003 Copper SV1000S
Repainted Ford PE (Petroleum Mica)
Yoshi 2:1 collectors and Arrow titanium can...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 21st September 2020, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

Hi Missing Link
Many thanks for replying to my rushed intro post. You ask a very good question and the answer is I did not search the forum before buying. But I did hang around long enough to find out that it is a good forum inhabited by people who have genuine knowledge and don't feel the need to slag people off every five minutes. As there doesn't seem to be a Haynes manual dedicated to this model specifically, ( parallels with SLs and TLs notwithstanding ) I felt confident enough as a mechanical numpty to stick my neck out and buy one.
Why SV? you ask. Because Ive never considered one before (I have considered everything else many times over) and I needed a big twin that wasn't too fast. No insult intended its plenty fast enough for me and I needed a step down from my last bike before something penal happened.
This is my fourth Suzuki and I do like them. My first big bike was a GT750 bought straight out of the crate in 1974. Then had a GS750 for a short time before a Renault 5 ended my courier career. More recently a fruity RF900 graced my lock-up. I think the SV may turn out to be a keeper - we'll see.
Unless anyone objects to the username I'll leave it be now. With apologies to anyone living through the dreadful wildfires in the US.( or anywhere else)

Best wishes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3434.jpg (647.2 KB, 7 views)

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 21st September 2020, 09:39 PM
Forum whore

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
No slagging off people every five minutes....no....but wait for 15 minutes, things go pear shaped than.....ha ha...

What year bike ?

The service manual is downloadable from a few different places online..... try this for the 03 version.....

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/81...ki-Sv1000.html

I dont see that anyone will be offended by your name....assume you are UK based ?

The fires on the West coast of the US are awful, we went through the same crap here early this year....then covid....what a crap year hey...

2003 Copper SV1000S
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 23rd September 2020, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

Yes mate we do indeed live in interesting times as the Chinese saying has it. If I remember rightly I think some of you had floods to round off the roasting? Someone up there is aving a larf I should say.

Many thanks for the link I will look at that asap though I have an 06 model but I don't suppose it will have strayed too far. All info is good info to start with. ( roughly speaking)

Yes Uk plumb in the middle. Was brought up in Beatles country, moved down to the smoke in '73 and finally had enough of that 4 years ago. Now perched on the edge of the scratcher's playground otherwise known as The Peak District.

Had a run out yesterday after work still looking for stuff that needs sorting as I get to know the bike. Loving the grunt ( got myself a cheap non-slip seat cover which has stopped me sliding backwards into the hump away from the lights)
Handling gave me some really sweet moments round my favourite bends so v happy.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 23rd September 2020, 10:16 PM
Forum whore

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
Have a look on this link, you will see that there are supplementary manuals for the later years, which should be read to see waht was specific to the year of that supp manual...

Obviously, a K5 supp will do up to K7 unless specified by a further supp....

https://www.manualslib.com/brand/suz...orcycle.html#S

2003 Copper SV1000S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in