SV Portal Forums banner

another new member

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Urbanjugle 
#1 ·
Well hello all. I am not new to riding. I am 56 years old and have been riding since I was 20. I have had a variety of bikes in my life but this is my first V2 bike. Currently own a 93 honda vfr750 in pearl white, a 90 Kawasaki zephyr 550. and a 05 sv1000. I bought this bike last fall and here in Maine I have all winter to work on it. My bike has 51k miles on it. I seem to have all the usual problems. Found a used works performance clutch basket on ebay. Boy was mine loose. Lots of little aluminum in the sump. Two magnets loose on the flywheel. New flywheel on the way. So Im going all through the bike this winter. I will have some used parts for sale. Flywheel, airbox, seat, complete used clutch with my old basket, steering damper, pair valve, complete front s faring. ect. I have spent weeks reading through the forum and have gained a lot of info. Look forward to spring and another riding season. Stay safe and ride on

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Only found 2 loose and no damage but I'm going through the bike so I want to fix it right. I don't put a lot of miles on each bike but figure it will last me the rest of the time I own it. Fix it right the first time. At 51k I feel better with new. I found epoxy pieces on the filter screen. I will sell my old flywheel after I replace it. What's money for.......

#4 ·
I understand the idea of fix it right, but, if you dont JB weld the new one, it will do the same thing.
Most of us have repaired our existing rotors with no issue.
The problem is not tha tthe magnets become unstuck, its that they shift after that....toward each other, throwing the rotor out of balance, which as time
goes by, shears the rest of the magnets off. I had 5 of the 6 loose and have refixed them perfectly. An extreemy thin smear of JB without any gap on the back of
the magnets, ensure the gap is perfect, and, that the north/south poles are correct...the magnet should not be repelled by its neighbour.
Clamp firmly and evenl;y in place for at least 12 hours....then fill the gaps between the magnets to about 1/3rd of the depth of the magnet....evenly and to the same height on all.....file them down to be sure....leave that for 36 hours and all will be well.....as i said, mine was over 300k kms and worked perfectly.

As i said, the new one will do the same thing, so, if you cant send it back or stop the sale, when you get it, fill the gaps....trust me, if you dont, it will shear them off
as well......

You will get good money fro the old one, just as long as the magnets aren't broken.

#5 ·
Might do that to the new one. I put less than 2K a year on this bike and the OEM lasted 51K so it should last as long as I own it. I was just worried about the magnets that are not loose now .Got the rest of the winter to think about it. Thanks

#7 ·
Each bike is totally different. The zephyr is old school. You have to wait for speed. But it's light and fun to ride. The vfr is sexy and makes wonderful sounds. Love the SSSA. The sv is plain evil. Love the low end grunt. I have only put a couple hundred miles since I got it. Lots of changes to be done. The photo of the bike was as I got it. Should be a fun spring.

#8 ·
Welcome. The SV1000 really is a nice bike - I've been asked multiple times which one I would go for if it should be replaced. The only bikes I can think of would be a 1290 Duke or Streetfigher V4, but they are also at least 5 times as expensive.

I like the tank grips that's fitted on the bike, do you know which brand/model?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.