Organic Gardening - SV1000 Portal

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 19th March 2011, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Forum whore

♂ United States
Organic Gardening

Ok,my wife and kids have all gone the organic route ,due to the increase in gmo's. This has proved quite costly increasing food costs by 40 percent.In order to preserve some funds for less important but more satisfing activities,I've decided to try and raise some of the items at home. I'm no farmer but for the last few years I have raised my own fruits blackberrys,blueberrys,strawberrys,plums,peaches and grapes,with varying degrees of sucess. This year I've branched out to Peppers,lettuce,carots,cucumbers,spinach,broccoli, wax beans,peas,and cantaloupe. I've already started my plants indoors and the sprouts are coming up nicely.I intended to move them to the yard this weekend but now the weather gods are calling for snow this thursday,we had 10 wks of snow cover this winter will it ever stop? And I realize I haven't a clue what I'm doing.I've noticed that several members are much more experianced in raising crops for home use and I'm cofident in the advise and counsel provded here. So what should I do ? Plant or wait for the chanch of snow to clear ? If I plant what would you advise to protect the plants in the event of snow? I'm sure these will only be the first questions. Thanks for your advise and good counsel.

If you love your bike let it go ,if it comes back you highsided.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 19th March 2011, 11:18 PM
Help - I need a life!!!!

♂ New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
We've done the same thing here for similar reasons - the cost of good vege is going through the roof and now that my mum has moved in with us, we also had to go the organic vege way as that's all she can eat, so last weekend I built a no dig garden and my mum and my wife put the beds in and planted it out.

It's actually pretty easy to set up and only took an hour to bolt it all together.

One of the important things is to use untreated lumber, I used NZ Macrocarpa, and Cedar is another good option as they are both naturally resistant to rotting.

With all the layers of paper, straw and organic compost, the plants are already showing notible growth and it won't be too long till we're eating home grown.

http://www.no-dig-vegetablegarden.com/

"I venture not to cross that finish line in a neat, tidy well ordered bundle, but to slide across it sideways in a shower of sparkís, leaking oil, hissing steam shouting ..Geronimo !!!!! "
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 20th March 2011, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Forum whore

♂ United States
Great help thanks for the link.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 20th March 2011, 01:11 PM
Fair weather rider

♂ United States
Austin Texas
Not sure if this will help a whole lot but here's my two cents.....

First off I'm in the south so we don't have alot if any snow (we did this year tho) but, the rule of thumb is its always safe after Easter. I always plant earlier and I do alot of planting and gardening. I use Styrofoam cups in case of cold. I buy a big pack at the dollar store and they can be reused for many seasons. If it looks like it will freeze I just go out and cover them up and remove them in the am. Its a great way to get an early start!

I work hard because millions on welfare depend on me!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 20th March 2011, 01:36 PM
Forum whore

♂ United States
Erie,Pa
There are some veggies you can plant early, and some you have to wait till it warms up. My wife usally starts some things from seed in our basement,this year she's been working more hrs and hasn't started anything yet. Your onions can go in early (we have some that just come up from the previous yr) same with some erbs and spices. June 1st is when we plant most of our stuff, but we still get frost into May here in Erie. In fact our growing season is a bit short for some things. I have crappy ground,mostly clay,so I made three raised beds with railroad ties on the side of the house. Filled with top soil,mulch,and sand helps break up the clay. We usally grow a few different tomatos,green and wax beans,( deer cleaned up 2 whole rows of them when they came up)beets,onions,chives,dill,rosemary,peppers,pumki ns & squash. And whatever else my wife wants to plant after I get the gardens ready. She plants gords and makes things,but our season is really too short for them.
I'll get a load of mushroom mulch (cow shit) and till it in befor hand. For some things a wooden barrell cut in half works great. Its better to have less plants and take care of them than to go too big and not have time to keep it weeded. And if you don't have alot of yard space, a couple of the barrels with tomatos will keep growing fruit for you all summer. Our bigger garden I have to plow and disc 1st,but I think we'll just stay smaller this year and plant the raised beds and some barrell on the deck. The wife grows plenty of floewrs from seed too,the front of the house is her pride and joy in the summer.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 20th March 2011, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Forum whore

♂ United States
That is a excellent idea thanks.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 20th March 2011, 01:50 PM
55,500 miles and counting

♂ United Kingdom
running out of birthdays fast.
I can't help here as the garden is the wifes domain, and she doesn't grow veg. But it all sounds good, show us some pics over the year of what your growing and let us know how it tastes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My new toy. A 2005 Yamaha MT-01 1700cc torque monster.

DO NOT CLICK THESE LINKS IF YOU ARE A LIMP WRISTED GAY BOY AS YOU MAY BE SHOCKED !!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 20th March 2011, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Forum whore

♂ United States
Will do Pete,my past experiance has been limited but the blackberries,blueberrys tasted great much better than the stuff avaible in the market,plums a tad hard but tasty and the peaches a high quality store bought.Strawberries have been hit and miss the yield last year was poor and I really have no idea why.Every thing is a learning process but this year I intend to keep records and detail the results.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 25th March 2011, 09:15 AM

♂ United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfart View Post
this year I intend to keep records and detail the results.
In that case you need to.........

Attached Images
File Type: jpg get_an_anorak_embroidered_hat-p233028059307784953fq2os_152.jpg (5.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg rron731l.jpg (26.4 KB, 6 views)

DO NOT CLICK THESE LINKS IF YOU ARE A LIMP WRISTED GAY BOY AS YOU MAY BE SHOCKED !!!

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 25th March 2011, 12:45 PM
Pete's bike hauler

♂ France
Surrounded by the best biking roads in the world
we always grow our own lettuces potatoes tomatoes and the like however you have to realise that bio in the shops is a big con, 90% of bio producers produce like anyone else and simply sell for more money.
I had a german who wanted to buy some land here and grow bio fruit , as far as i was concerned it was an ideal place he had a lovely stream that came from a spring on the mountains not 2 miles up the road, so the water to wash the veg would be free. AHHH no! says he cant use that water it has to be tap water by law (with all the crap included) what a con , what could be purer fresh mountain spring or the crap that comes the taps?

And as Maz points out they are still grown in the polluted water that falls when it rains

Hey polluted or not we have survived an eon on the crap that is sold as vegetables at the supermarkets and not suffered if you want to pay 40% more for your veg ok by me , I cant afford it. and cant see the point much as I cant see the sense in being a veggie

If you are looking for a free holiday in the sun, don't bother me, However if you are a genuine biker and want to ride the best roads in the world there is no better place than
check out the pics on the site and the vids on youtube search for britfrog
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 25th March 2011, 12:49 PM
Grumpy old sod.

♂ England
Northamptonshire
Not sure about the organic thing nowadays, having tried to go as pesticide free as possible last year and losing nearly all my brassicas, this year it will be all out chemical warfare on the creepy crawlies.

There are times when only a really big beer will do.

For the avoidance of doubt, there is no such thing as "American English". There is the English language and there are mistakes.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 25th March 2011, 04:39 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ New Zealand
Wellington, New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.w View Post
Not sure about the organic thing nowadays, having tried to go as pesticide free as possible last year and losing nearly all my brassicas, this year it will be all out chemical warfare on the creepy crawlies.
Check out companion planting, using plants as the pest controllers. Basil with tomato's will stop most things except caterpillars (so I found out the hard way) and pymethrin daisies will stop a lot of winged bugs.

ABM Top Triple Clamp w/Black KTM bars, GSXR Race Rear-sets, Black Pazzo Shorties, GIpro, Black Double Bubble Screen w/Spike Bolts, PCIII USB, Speedo-healer, Integrated Tail/indicators, LED flasher relay, Custom Seat, TiForce Full Ti System, Napoleon BarEnd Mirrors, Pillion Seat/Rear Peg/Pair/Snorkel Removal, USB Charger, Blue LED Mood Lighting

If you lined up all the cars in the world end to end, someone would be stupid enough to try to pass them, five or six at a time, on a hill, in the fog.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 25th March 2011, 06:50 PM
Help - I need a life!!!!

♂ New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
I just hope no one is being supplied any vege from the fall out area around Fukushima, it won't be long until the greens glow that way in the dark around there.

Personally I never saw any reason to go the organic way, that is until I saw the amazing health that my 80 yr old mother is in.
She's one of 6 children, and the only one without major health issues (cancer, atheritis, dimensia etc).
She started looking after herself about 30 years ago when she got M.E., and quickly figured out that the best way to look after your body is from the inside out. So all pesticides were removed from the property, and due to the lack of avalibility of anything organic back then, she planted out her own garden. She also supliments her food with vitamins and minerals, and the results are amazing.
She came up for a weeks holiday at Christmas and had more energy than either my wife or myself - it was a bit embarrasing to say the least.

Quote:
Check out companion planting, using plants as the pest controllers. Basil with tomato's will stop most things except caterpillars (so I found out the hard way) and pymethrin daisies will stop a lot of winged bugs.
100% agree HQ, it also helps to have a live in fanatical gardener

If any of you knew me, you'd know the only pure thing I've ever put in my body is Jim Beam (necter of the gods, won't cure anything, but after a while you won't give a dam), but I've lost 5kg just from eating in a healthy manner - and it tastes good too.

"I venture not to cross that finish line in a neat, tidy well ordered bundle, but to slide across it sideways in a shower of sparkís, leaking oil, hissing steam shouting ..Geronimo !!!!! "
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 27th March 2011, 12:58 PM

♂ United Kingdom
My wife has just spent £70 on two little trees and a few plants for the garden and we can't even eat them.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 29th July 2019, 09:57 AM
L-Plate Rider

may be this website will be helpful

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in