• 1 Post By Randy Singer

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 22nd May 2017, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ United States
Minnesota, US
Garage
Off brand helmets, yay or nay?

So my girlfriend bought a helmet a couple years ago to ride with me, an HJC CS15 or something like that. The liner ended up smelling of mold when it was in storage and it fits very loosely on her now, even though it fit fine when she bought it. So I was looking at small size helmets as her Medium HJC doesn't fit well and it is really loud for her due to the gap between her head and the padding.

I was looking on Amazon and found plenty of helmets under the $50 range as she doesn't have a decent job and money is tight for both of us and all I get is off brand stuff like, Vega and 1storm. Anyone have any experience with these brands? Also there's the issue of helmet sizes can differ from manufacturers so I am leary to even try one of these off brands for fear that they wont work and i will be out the cost to return ship them back which could be money well spent on an HJC helmet as that's the brand I know.

thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 23rd May 2017, 03:44 AM
Forum whore

♂ United States
Sacramento, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderthegoober View Post
Anyone have any experience with these brands?
This is a contentious issue. Some folks will thoughtlessly parrot the old Bell Helmet advertising line "If you have a $50 head, get a $50 helmet." But I know from all of the materials that I reviewed as a motorcycle training instructor that a cheap helmet that is DOT approved can save your life. And I know from the Motorcyclist magazine article, Blowing The Lid Off (reprinted here):
https://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Mo...stHelmets.html
that even a very expensive SNELL certified helmet can afford *less* protection than a cheap DOT helmet!

Most helmets today are made the same, or a very similar way. They all use an expanded polystyrene liner to absorb energy and protect your head in a crash. Helmets come with either a fiberglass or a thermoplastic shell, and even though manufacturers of expensive helmets tout the advantages of fiberglass, third party tests indicate that the cheaper thermoplastic shells are actually more effective.

The key is to actually try on any helmet you are considering and to see how well it fits, how well made it is, and how comfortable it is. You can look at the tests done here:
Motorcycle Helmet Reviews - webBikeWorld
but I don't think that is any substitute for trying a helmet on your own head.

I haven't tried all of the brands of helmet on myself. I can tell you that I've worn some surprisingly well made helmets made by Cycle Gear (Bilt brand) that I got on sale for well under $100.

Lots of helmets are made in China now, and they are very good at it, and they are very inexpensive. You can find reviews on the Web with regard to their quality. But you will have to try them on to see if any one in particular would be good for you.
tzk321 and Magoo777 like this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 24th May 2017, 01:42 AM
RC.
Fair weather rider

♂ United States
Chicago, IL
Garage
Yeah, I would just go to RevZilla and get an inexpensive DOT-approved helmet and call it a day. Their customer service is great, so if it doesn't fit right, you can rectify the situation easily.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 24th May 2017, 03:39 AM
Forum whore

♂ United States
Sacramento, California
You might want to check out some of the closeouts here:

Full Face Helmet Closeout Sale - Jafrum

They have some nice brand-new name-brand helmets on clearance for as little as $40.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 24th May 2017, 01:15 PM
Forum whore

♂ United States
Virginia
This site has very good information on different helmets and their relative safety
https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/

"Hypocrisy isn't the Republicans' weakness. It's their platform" - Seth Myers
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 25th May 2017, 12:49 AM
Forum whore

♂ United States
Sacramento, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzk321 View Post
This site has very good information on different helmets and their relative safety
https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/
That site is wildly helpful...but only for riders in the U.K or Europe. (The original poster is in the U.S.) The "Blowing The Lid Off" article that I cited earlier in this thread points out that many helmet manufacturers make two versions of each of their models: one for the U.S. to meet Snell, and one for the rest of the world. Helmets that meet Snell tend not to be as safe as helmets made for the rest of the world. Some DOT-only helmets are safer than Snell helmets too.

It's too bad that the U.S. doesn't have something similar to SHARP.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 26th May 2017, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ United States
Minnesota, US
Garage
Great news! I found a gal selling her less than a year old scorpian EXO-R2000 for $40, with tinted and clear visors, and helmet bag. Fit my woman perfectly and hey the price was unbeatable. The gal who was selling it works at a local dealer so she probably got an employee discount on the helmet to begin with so she was able to sell it cheap to my girlfriend. Can't go wrong there as it looks like revzilla has the same helmet for $250. NICE!
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...-launch-helmet
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 27th May 2017, 03:01 AM
Forum whore

♂ United States
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Singer View Post
That site is wildly helpful...but only for riders in the U.K or Europe. (The original poster is in the U.S.) The "Blowing The Lid Off" article that I cited earlier in this thread points out that many helmet manufacturers make two versions of each of their models: one for the U.S. to meet Snell, and one for the rest of the world. Helmets that meet Snell tend not to be as safe as helmets made for the rest of the world. Some DOT-only helmets are safer than Snell helmets too.

It's too bad that the U.S. doesn't have something similar to SHARP.
Thanks, Randy. I remember reading that article many years ago when it was first published but had forgotten most of the information. Who would have guessed that helmets are made to different specs in different parts of the world?

"Hypocrisy isn't the Republicans' weakness. It's their platform" - Seth Myers
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 27th May 2017, 07:59 AM
Forum whore

♂ United States
Sacramento, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzk321 View Post
Who would have guessed that helmets are made to different specs in different parts of the world?
Even more shocking, who would have guessed that some helmets made to meet the most prestigious standard in the U.S. would be less safe than some (much less expensive) helmets made to only meet the most minimal standards?
Magoo777 likes this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 29th September 2020, 04:03 AM
L-Plate Rider

♂ Canada
Montreal, Canada
Nay for me! But just buy the best quality helmet you can. I know brand is just a name but just make sure you keep yourself safe at all times.

This is the moment I accept the most challenging times will always be behind me and in front of me.
- Kobe Bryant

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in