SV1000 Portal - View Single Post - Setting cam lobe centers without adjustable gear sets
View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old 29th September 2013, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
schmidt314
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodbolt View Post
Michael - Just read through your PDF and the spreadsheet you kindly emailed through - great information with a walk-through on how to do it,
thank you for spending the time putting it all together and sharing it.
What sort of gains do you normally achieve by dialing the cams in this way ?
I was going to go down the vernier gear route (as this is what I use to dial the Scooby engines in that I build) but being a road based bike,dont really want to loose the scissor gears and increased valvetrain noise.

Mick
To be honest I do not think I have ever just done this one thing to a motor w/o adding compression or other modifications. Knowing the stock lobe centers though, changing some of the bikes lobe centers by 5-8 degrees on each cam does have significant effects on the how the engine should run in stock form. It is my opinion the stock cam timing is a compromise between power, delivery and emissions. Running the intake cam to the 103-107 and the exhaust to the 105-109 range should give the bike more punch everywhere in the range. If I use adjustable cam gears, I typically target 105-106 on the intake and 107-108 on the exhaust with stock cams. I like broad power with big punch in the midrange when I build these motors. I do know that with added compression and stock cams retimed the bike picks up significant power everywhere in the rev range and comes on really strong in the mid and revs all the way to redline with authority.

-MS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome