SV Portal Forums banner

2002 dl1000 vstrom

876 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Missing Link 
#1 ·
I have what I believe is known as idle hammer on my bike. Has 52000 miles and a loud noticeable knocking noise when at idle with the clutch lever released . Not on startup but after it's warmed up a little

#2 ·
#4 ·
You can also send a PM to realshelby (member here) he has a Strom and he does a kit

to tame the end float knock....

He can also be found under www.werksparts.com

He does clutch improving modifications also that are not to be sneezed at......

I solve this issue in a different way. The crank end thrust in the early DLs and 03 SVs (I have only seen it in 03s) I have measured as high as I think 0.015”!

A modification by machining parts can be made to set end thrust to a much smaller value. Many of the high performance engines I have built I have made this modification too. One big difference between the TLs and DL/SV is that you no longer have an internal shim to set end thrust. So you have to do it a different way.

-ms

#6 ·
First, Idle Hammer does no harm. It can be annoying! I have offered my Idle Hammer Tamer for a 2-3 years. Price really didn't cover the time I was putting into them. They were all manually machined and ate time and material. I have set those aside for now. Working on a different direction where I machine the factory crank inspection plug and modify the factory rotor bolt. MUCH less machining. But those are not going to be ready for sale for a while, assuming they pass testing.

#8 ·
schmidt314 can do amazing things for these engines! What he does is what Suzuki could have done to start with but chose not too.

If I had an engine built it would be Michael that done it!

Idle Hammer Tamer just isn't a problem that I would tear an engine down for to fix. It doesn't do damage or cause a failure on the road. Now if I were wanting a bigger cc engine with all the work that goes into that, then of course I would want to "fix" the idle hammer.

#10 ·
I have seen a couple of early bikes that were fine also. If crank end thrust was tight from the factory, they won’t really open up much. The bad engines I have seen were relatively low miles with huge crank end thrust that I assume came from the factory.

-ms

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.