Its that time of the year... Electrics! how do you like yours? - SV1000 Portal

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 7th October 2008, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Forum whore

♂ Canada
Oshawa, Ontario
Its that time of the year... Electrics! how do you like yours?

Ok, I am knocking around buying some heated gear.. It was 2 deg C when I left for work this morning, and its a 1 hr commute...

Do I go with grips, gloves, jacket liner, socks, vest? How much can I get away with, without killing the battery...

Got some? How do you like it? Where did you hide the connector(s) on the bike?

What sort of connector should I be looking at?

Any gear I should stay away from?

Rechargeable gear any good?

Current: 2008 Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport
**SOLD** SV1K7 in the quicker Bloo colour
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 7th October 2008, 11:34 AM
Fast Old Guy

♂ United States
OH USA
I have Gerbings heated liners, had them for about 11 years. Lifetime warranty, had a problem two years ago, NO QUESTIONS ASKED, they politely said 'send it in, we'll fix it'!!!!!! And they did :-) The problem was caused by a short on my piece of crap BMW R1200GS that I used to own. It just plugs in the same fused link that I installed for my battery tender, couldn't be easier.
Also I have Hot Grips, http://www.hotgrips.com/store.php?cr...on=show_detail on both my bikes, fantastic for when the temp gets chilly, or the summer ride lasts longer than anticipated and your riding home late, along a river, and you didn't bring any warm gear, etc,etc. Extremely warm, warmer than the BMW grips.

"If you want to have what most people will never have, you've got to do what most people will never do."
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 7th October 2008, 11:40 AM
Bike curious

♂ United States
Springfield, MOFO
Garage
Lots of us have heated gear and love it. Here are a few discussions about it:

http://www.sv-portal.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23984

http://www.sv-portal.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29311

http://www.sv-portal.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15455

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 7th October 2008, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Forum whore

♂ Canada
Oshawa, Ontario
Ok read em all... (slow day at work...)

So far the consensus is definitely Gerbings, and that I can probably get away with 2 pieces + grips with room to spare...

Soo... Anyone compare jacket liner to vest directly? Is it worth going for the extra expense of the liner?

I noticed very little said about legs and feet, is it really not much of an issue once the core is heated? Seem to be more worries about hands than feet...

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 7th October 2008, 09:38 PM
L-Plate rider

United States
My hands are always the first things to get cold, in the 2 months it's actually cold here....

I've been kicking around the idea of getting some heated grips. Perhaps this is the year?

Who are you and why are you reading my signature?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 8th October 2008, 03:37 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Tucson, AZ
my GF and I both have the Widder vests http://www.widder.com/html/Product/System2/index.html

with the optional arm chaps for when it gets real cold. THey work great and have been happy with them, but I am not sure how much longer widder will be manufactureing gear.

i have these http://www.casporttouring.com/store/...gory_Code=SYMT heated grip elements and they work great for the price, plus you can use what ever grips you want.

Thats about all you really need unless you plan to be riding in sub zero temps a lot for long distances.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 14th October 2008, 10:26 PM
Forum whore

♂ United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKurj View Post
Ok read em all... (slow day at work...)

So far the consensus is definitely Gerbings, and that I can probably get away with 2 pieces + grips with room to spare...

Soo... Anyone compare jacket liner to vest directly? Is it worth going for the extra expense of the liner?

I noticed very little said about legs and feet, is it really not much of an issue once the core is heated? Seem to be more worries about hands than feet...
Jacket liner, without a doubt.
Consider that heated grips don't do anything for the backs of your hands so in that context it might be worth thinking about gloves over grips, especially if you don't have some kind of handguard to deflect the wind.
With the liner I generally don't notice much issue with legs and feet. I think if you had a pants liner in addition to jacket liner and grips/gloves, you might be getting close or exceeding the maximum you can expect the SV charging system to support. If its a choice then liner and gloves/grips first.
I'm also a gerbings fan, good quality, can't beat the warranty and service. Probably other good ones out there as well, just don't see a reason to get anything else.

Joe S.
'12 1400 Concours
'11 650 VStrom
'10 Tiger 1050 SE
'09 HD XR1200
'01 HD FXD
'79 BMW R100
'71 Honda SL100
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 14th October 2008, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Forum whore

♂ Canada
Oshawa, Ontario
Well I didn't have a lot of money this time round, so I went with the Tourmaster Synergy Electric vest. It comes with fused connection for the battery as well as a lo/med/high temp controller as well, all for less than $130 canuck bucks!

It was supposed to come in today but I guess someone forgot it was a holiday up here yesterday so hopefully I will have it tomorrow. I still have my eye on the gerbings jacket liner and possibly gloves, but I will save that purchase for next season, I'll try this Tourmaster this year, and possibly pass it on to Dad as a way of convincing him to try electrics +) for next yr.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 30th December 2017, 07:41 PM
Forum whore

♂ United States
Virginia
I'm thinking of buying electric socks. Anyone tried this and can offer a recommendation?

"Hypocrisy isn't the Republicans' weakness. It's their platform" - Seth Myers
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 30th December 2017, 11:14 PM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzk321 View Post
I'm thinking of buying electric socks. Anyone tried this and can offer a recommendation?

I canít offer an insight on heated socks.

I can say this though. I use Alpinestars Super Tour Gor-Tex boots with a regular sock and my feet are warm riding down to about 25F. With a bit thicker sock I can go to about 15F.

-ms

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 31st December 2017, 03:57 PM
Forum whore

♂ United States
Virginia
Thanks!

Due to surgeries I have poor circulation in my left leg and my left foot gets cold relatively easily. I really need something that generates heat. There's so many companies that make electric socks and prices are all over the place. I was hoping someone here had firsthand experience....

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 31st December 2017, 04:32 PM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzk321 View Post
Thanks!

Due to surgeries I have poor circulation in my left leg and my left foot gets cold relatively easily. I really need something that generates heat. There's so many companies that make electric socks and prices are all over the place. I was hoping someone here had firsthand experience....

Gerbings makes good quality stuff. I have used it a bit and several of my friends use it. Just not the socks...

-ms

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 1st January 2018, 02:39 PM
Vendor

♂ United States
Houston, Texas
Unfortunately Gerbings is not the same company it was. Used to be family owned. Sold out to investment group. Has been restructured a couple times since. Quality went downhill and warranty/repair issues are more common than not. But, there are 3 or 4 companies that make good heated gear, and Gerbings is still worth buying it you like what you see.

My personal recommendation is that heated socks are uncomfortable. You can feel the wires and there can be hot spots. Maybe some are better than others. I went to the heated insoles. MUCH easier to use, feel just like normal insoles. The real test for heated gear is hours upon hours of cold riding. I have ridden from sunrise to sunset in temps that didn't break 40 degrees and the heated insoles worked perfectly with one pair of socks in my Tourmaster boots.

Some mention buying a vest. My arms are what get cold first, so I think if heated gear is important buy the jacket! No more hassle than the vest and works SO much better. Makes it really easy to plug in heated gloves too.

I have all Gerbings gear. Jacket, pants, insoles, and gloves. I fear no cold.....but I sure fear ice and snow!

Fix Idle Hammer noise
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 1st January 2018, 07:29 PM
Forum whore

♂ United States
Virginia
Thanks for the info.

Gerbings and Tourmaster both make heated insoles. I'm going to see if I can find any product comparisons.

The real deciding factor will be if I can connect the insoles to my Widder electric gear. Widder used their own type of connector that's very different from the others.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 6th January 2018, 09:11 PM
Forum whore

♂ United States
Virginia
Well, I decided to go with a no-tech solution:

I got a pair of genuine sheepskin insoles and I'll be ordering some silk sock liners. The benefits of this are that my feet will be warm even when not on the motorcycle, low cost, and low maintenance. The drawbacks are that my feet won't be as warm as if I'd installed heated insoles and now I need to find some other winter project.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in