Looking for clutch reservoir and radiator/fan for 1000. - Page 2 - SV1000 Portal
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 19th August 2019, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by twag4 View Post
Honda and the others do it that way too. Itís the easiest way to lift the clutch open. On the right side would require a fork or lever and a throw out bearing like a car. Plus, if the rod takes a hit, but saves the cases when a chain breaks, Iím ok with that. Otherwise the bottom cases are destroyed- they might be anyway. I read on FB of a guy that just broke a chain. New clutch push rod and push rod seal, and he is back in business with chain and sprockets. He got off way cheap! My Honda RC51 has a clutch push rod just like the SV. It works well
The push rod aint gonna stop the chain from punching the case if it is going to, worse yet, losing that push rod prevents you from disengaging the engine by pulling in the clutch. In any case it happens in a fraction of a second and the push rod is a twig compared to the chain being powered by the motor. Anyway the reason an SV would likely not break the case is that the case especially on the bottom where most of the time the chain gets squished into is pretty far from the sprocket. Its not like the GS motors of old where its right next to it.

I know of a few other motors that are that way, but the vertical arm cam for the clutch on the right side IMHO is far better, and both designs need a throw out setup and they both have a bearing. However most fluid clutches are setup this way, in fact I am yet to see a clutch master cyl on the right on top of the case. Doable, but I've never seen one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 20th August 2019, 04:32 AM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
I have converted multiple SV1000s to cable clutches and have had no real issues. No weird spacing or anything on the actuator, I just bolted them up.

I use the TL1000S actuator.

-ms
Junkie and twag4 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 20th August 2019, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidt314 View Post
I have converted multiple SV1000s to cable clutches and have had no real issues. No weird spacing or anything on the actuator, I just bolted them up.

I use the TL1000S actuator.

-ms
Let me look at how the TL/S is different from the SV650 one.
My issue isn't that it wont fit or work, its just that its too close to the sprocket.

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 21st August 2019, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
TL is 10 mm shorter actuation arm. Will get it that much further away form the sprocket.

I'm actually at a point where my CNC ebay generic crap doesn't seem to fit, the best bet here is to replace the push rod with a longer rod and spacers and get the sprocket cover on and put the SV's arm with a side fit spacer onto the cable carrier fitting on the front cover. I think a link off a chain might do that trick. Lets see what I can fab up.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 21st August 2019, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Made this contraption. Looks like another little bend may be needed to line it at install. But longer bolts, longer spacers and should nicely fit outside the stock cover with nothing needing modded other than aforementioned contraption.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SV_clutch_bracket_bent.jpg (389.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg SV_clutch_bracket5.jpg (233.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg SV_clutch_bracket4.jpg (245.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg SV_clutch_bracket3.jpg (287.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg SV_clutch_bracket2.jpg (419.6 KB, 10 views)
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 25th August 2019, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
I've run this bike up and down the street ,so I'm finally glad to say, it works, far from perfect, but works.
SV650 - 2003-04 clutch lever, perch, cable, and actuation mechanism were used.
A longer push rod was fabbed out of 1/4" (I think, could be 6mm) rod pulled from a Chinese scooter motor (head bolt) Or it was an XR75 honda. Some like that.

Spacers were cut from a big block chevy pushrod - got to use push rod parts to make a push rod pusher LOL.
Longer bolts than the SV1000's bolts were needed, 100mm if I recall, all sourced from junkyard.

Result - working cable clutch, with original cover intact. I've not mangled any of the original parts, cost of this whole thing was just elbow grease and maybe a few $$ here and there because I got most of this from a junkyard along with a bunch of other parts, whole dirt bike front ends etc. Presumably I added some $$$ to the tally.

I'll take it apart again and get pics of each with measurements shortly. There are some problems still, like the clutch inner is too long. May need to make a new one, the mangling etc ended up bending the bolt that the carrier bracket is bolted to and that bend has resulted in the thing being correctly located, I may need to keep that in mind when I take it off next time or fix it now by replacing the bolt and bending the bracket in a vice. My need to fit a bandit 600 clutch perch, cos I need a mirror post for my newly minted Naked. But it does a damn good job with a nice light pull to the lever due to the longer arm on the cam and nice easy operation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190823_105223.jpg (624.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20190823_185258.jpg (958.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20190823_185308.jpg (313.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20190823_185316.jpg (438.0 KB, 5 views)
Junkie likes this.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 29th August 2019, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by twag4 View Post
Honda part number 22887-MBB-006.

Bingo - I ordered this and it does work, yes 2 O rings were needed, possibly some tweaking as well, mine is leaking at the big O ring it looks like as of now.
But I didn't have the cap, the rubber gasket, the plastic cap under the cap LOL, and I still don't have the clip that holds it sideways from spinning open.
Anyway a 97 RM250 rear master cyl reservoir has the cap, the rubber gasket/expander bladder (or whatever its called) the plastic cap etc. So my hydraulic master cyl is now back in business, I have a 2000 BMW F650 mirror clamp holding the clutch side in, will find a GS one for the brake side and I'll be able to fit mirrors on the clip on's.
twag4 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in