Luggage Options for the SV1K - SV1000 Portal

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 2nd June 2003, 03:58 AM Thread Starter

I'm reaching across the Sport Touring category - planning to off-load my Honda ST1300 (too heavy & bland) for either an Aprilia SLR1000 (Falco) or the SV1K. The wife was an SV650 and I lurv borrowing her bike in the twisties when we go touring :ryan: but that's hardly fair on her!

My issue with the SV1K or similar bikes is the lack of hard luggage. I commute on the ST13, so an SV1K would need to have lockable bags (for laptop etc) in order for me to use it for commuting (which I need to).

Does anyone know of plans by Suzuki or Givi to make hard bags for the bike? I see that the Givi website doesn't even acknowledge that the bike exists yet! But on a hopeful note, they make panniers for the SV650.

Have your dealers been telling you that Suzuki plan a luggage system for the bike? I only get blank stares from my (Oz) dealer. No doubt he thinks I'm mad touring a "sports" bike. But for me the attraction of the SV1K is that it has a characterful motor and compliant suspension for road use - perfect for touring. If I want to go berko, then I take my Aprilia Mille RSV-R out for a real sports ride. I've toured the Mille but it breaks your arse after a couple of days in the saddle.

But I digress. Any rumours on the luggage front?

- Finners
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 2nd June 2003, 07:44 AM

Unhappy

Givi have already sorted out the SV650 version, but are developing a version for the SV1000 according to their agents.

Suzuki are apparently waiting for third party development so they can sell it at a higher price when they give it their badge (or is that just me being cynical?)

You can also look at the following link to a German site. I am waiting for an answer from them on availability for their detachable system.

http://www.gashand.de/sv1000/hp-sv1000-zubehoer.html

and

http://www.jfmotorsport.de/
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 2nd June 2003, 09:43 AM
Hardcore What?

♂ Australia
Victoria. Great Ocean Road Rider
Talking

Go here to the Ventura site they have pictures of their latest fittings for the SV1000

Cheers Nico.

Click on the link below

Ventura lagguge system.

Motorbikes fall over if you don't go FAST
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Silver SV1000s K3 THE FASTER ONE

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 3rd June 2003, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Thx Dragon & Nico. Can't read the German on those links Dragon - I imagine that they are promising development of a hard case luggage system sometime?

And the Ventura rack is to be expected, I s'pose. Have used them before - great system, only drawbacks being (a) they're ugly (B) they raise your bike's centre of gravity © they're not secure like a hard bag, and (d) they leak. But they are a great low-cost luggage option, I'll admit.

That's hopeful news that Givi are working on a mounting bracket for the SV1K. They're a conservative company, and I was concerned that they would wait to see how well the bike sold worldwide before committing to developing a mounting bracket. I'm not holding my breath though.

- Finners
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sv1k_ventura.jpg (56.4 KB, 124 views)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 3rd June 2003, 11:29 AM

I was trying to decide between a Falco and a SV1k myself there recently..

This review may help you (it's only a reprint of some of the pages):
http://www.sv650.org/reviews/PB_mag_sv1000...PB%20review.htm

I went with the SV1k in the end, for a couple of reasons:

1) 1k in the price difference, buys you alot of alarms and accessories
2) I came from an SV650 so the familliarity would mean a shorter ramp-up
3) The above review
4) Looks - personal preference of course!
5) There will likely be alot more SV1Ks out there = more customisibility
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 9th June 2003, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

This just in from GIVI (in their best Ital-ish)...

"Dear Sir,

We have received your message and we thank you.

We inform you that we have in program to produce the specific
carrier for SV 1000, but at the moment we have no program about
the future availability.

We suggest you to keep in touch with your local dealer for further information
about and the eventual purchase.

We take the opportunity to remain with
Best regards. GIVI SRL"

I read that as meaning that a wingrack system for the Givi panniers is on its way.

- Finners
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10th June 2003, 12:06 AM

I know Givi makes rack and hard bags that fit the SV650, including the 2003 model. You can see available accessories Here.

And you can see a picture of how it looks on the pre-'03 SV650 Here.

Just click on the red icon that looks like a camara.

The '03 650 and 1000 use the same frame (I think), so the rack and bags that fit the 650 SHOULD fit the 1000. I think. However, if Givi wants to make a wing rack for the SV, more power to 'em! I think the Wing rack looks much better when the bags come off. The tube rack looks kind of cheesy.

Pictures of all Givi racks here and wing racks alone here.

Givi bags are pretty expensive, but they have a good rep. Never used them myself. Maybe you can find some used ones on E-bay?

EDIT: Damned Givi! None of my links take you directly to where I meant it to go! Use the "my bike" search to look for the SV650 stuff, and the "Products -- Fitments link to see the different racks.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 13th February 2004, 04:07 PM
Be excelent to one another

♂ United Kingdom
UK
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 13th February 2004, 05:38 PM
Weekend cruiser

♂ United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneegz
The '03 650 and 1000 use the same frame (I think), so the rack and bags that fit the 650 SHOULD fit the 1000. I think. However, if Givi wants to make a wing rack for the SV, more power to 'em! I think the Wing rack looks much better when the bags come off. The tube rack looks kind of cheesy.
I just installed a Givi E460 top case on my 03 Naked. It's ain't purty, but it sure is useful.

I got the top case because it also serves as a back rest for my wife when she rides with me. Otherwise, I'd have gotten side bags, which don't spoil the look of the bike.

Be aware that, while you can remove the case real easy, the rack is pretty much permanent. Installing it is a half-hour or so of really annoying fiddling. As far as I'm concerned, it's too damned annoying to do more than once. Givi did a pretty poor job of designing the rack. It seems strong enough to carry a horse, but installation and esthetics suck.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 8th February 2005, 11:18 PM
Fair weather rider

♂ Australia
Tampa, FL
Givi on the SV1000

Hi,

I just installed a set of Givi side 'bags' and rack on my '05 SV1000S. The black works well with the (almost) all-black style of the '05 SV. Once I got the right mounting hardware for the 1000 (the 650 side-frames only work on one side!), it all came together nicely.

As mentioned, the rack was a bit fiddly to get on, but you need the rack frame from which to mount the side bag frames.

I'll take a picture tomorrow and post here. They look pretty cool and are certainly functional. I couldn't go without the storage space after having the Concours (aka ZG1000) for the past few years!

Regards,
Jim

Keep the shiny side UP!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 18th February 2005, 04:21 AM
Fair weather rider

♂ Australia
Tampa, FL
SV + Givi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac66
Hi,

I'll take a picture tomorrow and post here. They look pretty cool and are certainly functional. I couldn't go without the storage space after having the Concours (aka ZG1000) for the past few years!

Regards,
Jim
Okay, finally got round to it...here's a pic of the Givi gear.

Cheers,
Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SV with bags.jpg (93.4 KB, 230 views)

Keep the shiny side UP!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 18th February 2005, 07:06 AM
L-Plate Rider

♂ New Zealand
Hell, I would kill for a black SV. Having bought a 2003 I only had 3 choices. Blue, copper or silver. Was the black an original colour on the '05. Givi do make a 28l pannier that looks a little different than yours.

Dutchman
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 19th February 2005, 12:09 AM
Fair weather rider

♂ Australia
Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman
Hell, I would kill for a black SV. Having bought a 2003 I only had 3 choices. Blue, copper or silver. Was the black an original colour on the '05. Givi do make a 28l pannier that looks a little different than yours.

Dutchman
G'day Dutchman. Yep - the black is '05 standard issue.

Cheers,
Jim Mac

Keep the shiny side UP!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 23rd July 2020, 07:06 AM
L-Plate Rider

♂ Australia
Coffs Harbour
Garage
Cool SUPER SPORT SADDLE BAGS

Just bought and put on these nice soft pannier bags for my SV1K. Looks pretty good too.
Very cheap so if they wear out quick or what ever, thinking it's a pretty good option for a start.

$70 AUD from thirdgear.com.au
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SuperSportSoftPanniers.jpg (641.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg SuperSportSoftPanniers02.jpg (653.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg SuperSportSoftPanniers03.jpg (612.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg SuperSportSoftPanniers04.jpg (430.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg SuperSportSoftPanniers05.jpg (617.2 KB, 10 views)
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 23rd July 2020, 09:58 PM
RC.
Fair weather rider

♂ United States
Chicago, IL
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bl33ch View Post
Just bought and put on these nice soft pannier bags for my SV1K. Looks pretty good too.
Very cheap so if they wear out quick or what ever, thinking it's a pretty good option for a start.

$70 AUD from thirdgear.com.au
Dang, I need something like that in the U.S.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in