Crush washer for oil pan drain bolt - SV1000 Portal

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 9th July 2005, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Forum whore

♂ United States
Norcal
Crush washer for oil pan drain bolt

Hi all,

I'm about to run out and get some oil and a filter for a routine oil change. I figured this time I should get a new crush washer for the oil pan drain plug.

Does anyone know the crush washer part number? Is it the same size as on gixxers? Should I be able to just walk in to a dealer and ask for a crush washer for an SV (or gixxer) and get one?

If I don't get any replies before I leave, I'll let you know how I make out. The dealer is only a couple miles down the road...

I figured this weekend is a good one for maintenance stuff since there is a hurricane off the coast screwing up our weather (although it's nice out now.)

EDIT: On Ron Ayers site it shows the crush washer as "discontinued" - wha?
( 24 ) 09168-14002 Discontinued

EDIT2: Nevermind - it's superceeded... (wonder why?)
09168-14002 is superseded to 09168-14004
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 9th July 2005, 05:35 PM

United States
CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadmun
Hi all,
Is it the same size as on gixxers? Should I be able to just walk in to a dealer and ask for a crush (gixxer) and get one?
[/B]
Gixxer one works fine...thats what i'm runnin

SV1000R
"The scar's remind us the past is real"
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 9th July 2005, 05:36 PM
Forum whore

♂ United States
Bothell, WA
Just stop by the dealership and ask for a crush washer for an SV1000. More then likely most if not all Suzuki's use the same one anyway. My dealer looked it up and said they did not have the one listed but had this one and it was exactly the same. The latest ones I got were 09168-14004.

You might be able to find something at an auto parts store but the Suzuki ones are a marval in engineering. They actually crush unlike many others that only seal. Very important if you don't want to strip the threads.

That's no moon. It's a space station.

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 9th July 2005, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Forum whore

♂ United States
Norcal
Thanks guys. I'm about to head out the door...
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 9th July 2005, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Forum whore

♂ United States
Norcal
Local shop didn't have 09168-14004 or 09168-14002, but they gave me a 14mm Honda crush washer. It looks about the same.

I'm going to a BBQ, so I'm not changing the oil until tomorrow. My buddy at the dealer (who has a gixxer) said that they do strip out a lot (the drain bolts) on gixxers, but not so much on the SV. It might just be that there are so many more gixxers out there than SVs. I know I never bring mine in for service to that particular dealer. I only buy fluids and filters from them.

Anyway, I'll report back on the Honda crush washer tomorrow. I expect it's fine.
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 9th July 2005, 07:34 PM
Forum whore

♂ United States
Bothell, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadmun
Local shop didn't have 09168-14004 or 09168-14002, but they gave me a 14mm Honda crush washer. It looks about the same.

I'm going to a BBQ, so I'm not changing the oil until tomorrow. My buddy at the dealer (who has a gixxer) said that they do strip out a lot (the drain bolts) on gixxers, but not so much on the SV. It might just be that there are so many more gixxers out there than SVs. I know I never bring mine in for service to that particular dealer. I only buy fluids and filters from them.

Anyway, I'll report back on the Honda crush washer tomorrow. I expect it's fine.
I am sure it will be fine. In fact its probably made by the same contractor in Japan.

I believe even with great care the oil drain plug will eventually strip out and leak. If you had all the time in the world and the knowledge it might not be a bad idea just to fix it permanently. I am not really worried about it as just about any motorcycle dealership should be well versed in fixing it and the fix will make it better then before.

That's no moon. It's a space station.
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 9th July 2005, 07:47 PM
Hardcore Spas

♂ United States
S.V. Arizona
Last time I checked, Suzuki switched to solid copper washers for the oil drain bolt. I used to get the crush washer every time.... but about a year ago my local dealer said they switched/updated to a solid copper washer. I had mixed feelings about it, but it turns out that the solid copper washer doesn't leak a drop, and can be used over and over again. The washer is actually starting to out last the bolt at this point, as the hex is starting to round at the edges

As far as stripping th hole? Never seen it on either of my SV's, or my buddies. (though though bolt head is starting to go, as I said). However, a drain bolt really shouldn't have a lot of torque on it...... only 16.5 lb/ft according to the manual. #1 cause of screwed up oil holes & plugs is over tightening the damn thing (with is WHY my bolt is starting to go )

Cheers

I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death.
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 10th July 2005, 03:18 PM
Sunday Driver

♂ United States
Tampa Bay Florida
I've never changed the oil drain washer on the many Jap bikes I've owned. I've never had an oil leak from the drain plug.

Good luck,
Dave

Sunday Rides on the best roads in west central Florida
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 10th July 2005, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Forum whore

♂ United States
Norcal
Yeah, I've never had a leak there either, but for 80 cents, I figured what the heck - I'll replace this washer this time...

I still haven't gotten to it yet. I slept in a little late today.
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 10th July 2005, 09:17 PM
Forum whore

♂ United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogus Dave
I've never changed the oil drain washer on the many Jap bikes I've owned. I've never had an oil leak from the drain plug.

Good luck,
Dave

Sunday Rides on the best roads in west central Florida
Same here but I ALWAYS use a torque wrench when putting the drain plug back in.
post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old 11th July 2005, 12:49 PM
Mars - Bringer of War

♂ Fiji
Massachusetts
Yikes. Best of luck to you. You may get lucky... but I am betting in the long run the case threads will get stripped.

To each their own. Using a torque wrench probably helps, but not a chance I want to take. $10 over the life of my SV is a pretty cheap price to pay versus retapping.
post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old 11th July 2005, 01:49 PM
leave blank

♂ United States
nj
if you have a lower fairing/protection, you may want to consider a fumoto valve.
post #13 of 54 (permalink) Old 12th July 2005, 04:36 AM
L-Plate Rider

♂ Canada
Edmonton, AB
Help! I stripped my oil pan bolt!! I tightened it up without a torque wrench, and it just kept tightening.. I left it as it was, checked for a leak and rode it hard for a day constantly checking but no oil leak. Any suggestions as to a fix? I'm hoping the bolt threads are the weak material as opposed to the oil pan threads but I wouldn't know.. If it isn't the bolt that is stripped, what happens next? I'm assuming I can find this bolt at a dealership..
Any help is appreciated
post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old 12th July 2005, 04:54 AM
Forum whore

♂ United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudSVowner
Help! I stripped my oil pan bolt!! I tightened it up without a torque wrench, and it just kept tightening.. I left it as it was, tested it and rode it hard for a day constantly checking but no leak. Any suggestions as to a fix? I'm hoping the bolt threads are the weak material as opposed to the oil pan threads but I wouldn't know..
Any help is appreciated
Don't worry its not the end of the world. You're not the first member to do this and I'm sure you won't be the last. You might want to check the local bike service shops and see if someone can tap the hole with a slightly bigger thread size and then use a bigger plug or install something called a heli-coil. See this THREAD

Last edited by Bayouboy; 12th July 2005 at 04:58 AM.
post #15 of 54 (permalink) Old 12th July 2005, 05:11 AM
L-Plate Rider

♂ Canada
Edmonton, AB
Thanks for the thread, it's bedtime here so I took a quick search but didn't turn up anything on plug stripping.
I'm 19 years old, still schooling hard and don't have the money for any fancy fixes; I'm scared to take my bike to the shop..
Oh well

Like all women, the more money put in, the better the ride

Kids in the back seat cause accidents
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Accidents in the back seat cause kids
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in