TL1000s vs sv1000 - SV1000 Portal

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11th December 2005, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

TL1000s vs sv1000

Hi,
can any one tell me the differences between the TL1000s and the new SV1000?
I have always liked the TL1000S and the only thing that put me off was the "tank slapper" scare that really killed it off.

I know that the basic bike is very different it's just that I have heard that the engine in the SV has been made more 'user friendly' and emasculated!
compared to the TL? which has a very exciting power delivery (supposedly)

is this the case?

Thanks

Mick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11th December 2005, 12:19 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Scotts Valley, California, USA
The SV engine reportedly has a more linear power delivery, while being down slightly on top end horsepower from the TL. If I remember correctly, the TL has somewhere around 120 RWHP, while the SV is closer to 110. The valves and intake ports are smaller and the valve timing has been altered also. While some people may think the SV engine is an emasculated TL, it certainly does not feel emasculated to me. It may be down on top end power, but it has midrange punch to make you smile. Unless you're REALLY in a hurry, you can go at a very respectable pace without ever approaching redline. Whether or not you like the SV depends on what you're after, I guess. I know I sure like mine.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11th December 2005, 09:36 AM
Big bikers bounce better

♂ United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikermike
Hi,
can any one tell me the differences between the TL1000s and the new SV1000?
I have always liked the TL1000S and the only thing that put me off was the "tank slapper" scare that really killed it off.

I know that the basic bike is very different it's just that I have heard that the engine in the SV has been made more 'user friendly' and emasculated!
compared to the TL? which has a very exciting power delivery (supposedly)

is this the case?

Thanks

Mick
Hi bikermick welcome to the site All I can say is the SV has still got the power to hoist the front wheel in first and second off the throttle I have seen 161mph on standard gearing with only a air filter and race cans fitted by spending a grand at JHS on cams Teka box remapping and throttle bodie mods you will get 125-130 at the back wheel a bit more power than your TLS And to top it all off the SV is cheap at £6000 for a new SV1000sz or £3500 for a K3 model you cant loose I think

Boy you were going Fast!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
when I came past you!!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11th December 2005, 02:52 PM

I came directly from a 97 TLS to a 03 SV1KS. In a nutshell, the SV motor is a peach and the power delivery is totally linear compared to the TL's top end rush. Power delivery on the TL could get downright scary at times. Overall, the SV feels a little down on power compared to my TL (remember it was a 97 with the bigger power numbers compared to 98-01 models), but I believe the later TL's made around the same power as the SV, if not a little less (around 108 hp and 68-70 tq). The one area the TL really outshines the SV is handling though. Even with the funky rotay damper, the TL handled a bit better with it's USD forks and racier geometry. For a streetbike, you really can't go on with either bike!

Billy
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11th August 2006, 07:49 PM
L-Plate Rider

♂ Canada
Calgary, Canada
My TL1000S which a red light runner just destroyed for me:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

I've never ridden an SV1000S but who cares about 10 less horsepower? I had the extra power available, but I didn't go screaming around at 9500rpm all the time. Get a GSXR600 if you want to do that. What I need is lots of power between 3000 and 7000 rpm. And that sound. And the looks of my ex-TL. I like the SV a lot, but I don't like its looks as much as my TLs.

Edit: As of Oct 2, 2012: I'm sure this doesn't matter, as neither bike has been available for years, but this still comes up on google's searches, so I don't mind necroposting. I stand by my statement about RPM. I ride on public roads with police and braindead commuters. I need horsepower between 4000 and 7000 rpm, so that's why I get litrebikes. I purchased an SV1000S shortly after posting the above. Been riding it for 6 years. Best bike I ever owned, actually it wasn't complete when I bought it new. Yoshimura and Heli-Bar made it complete. The SV1000S is quite different from the TL. The SV stock is like a wife who is faithful, and a good cook, intelligent and fun to talk to. The SV with Yosh pipes is like a wife who is faithful, and a good cook, intelligent and fun to talk to, with a supermodel face and a great body, and good in bed. By contrast, the TL is like a coke-jacked latex-wearing hooker with a knife in her boot. Time of your life, but...
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12th August 2006, 12:31 AM
Mr. Obvious

♂ United States
East Moline, IL
Here's the article you need to read:

http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_...00s/index.html

Hopefully it might help. But FWIW, the SV is alot smoother. I do miss the upper RPM power of my TL-S, I don't miss that rotary shock though or the braces over the forks though. I'm overall happier with the SV but I preferred the "not so neutered" powerband.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 13th August 2006, 01:57 PM
Knowledge is Horsepower

♂ United States
Moneyapolis, MN
Garage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodhound
Here's the article you need to read:

http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_...00s/index.html

Hopefully it might help. But FWIW, the SV is alot smoother. I do miss the upper RPM power of my TL-S, I don't miss that rotary shock though or the braces over the forks though. I'm overall happier with the SV but I preferred the "not so neutered" powerband.
Good article. I wonder if you upped the intake valves back up to 40mm on the SV?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 13th August 2006, 05:31 PM
Mr. Obvious

♂ United States
East Moline, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T.
Good article. I wonder if you upped the intake valves back up to 40mm on the SV?
Looking at cams and cam timing currently,might become a winter project
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 17th October 2020, 03:50 PM

♂ Afghanistan
I'm necro-reading this, then. I used to own an SV650s. Yesterday I got a ride on an TL1000. Your description is accurate. I'm a youthful 46 y.o., and couldn't spend more than 2 hours with that TL, though it was a hilarious experience in "unlivable young-man's hotrod", the likes of which I've never had on a motorcycle. I'm happy with my FJR1300 with the trooper mod on the stock pipes, thank you very much.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 19th October 2020, 10:42 PM
Disturbed, very...

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
The power on the TL was a little too far up the rev range for my liking.....and that rotary damper, my God, that was the worst thing ever put on a motorcycle ever.....
Once it got hot, the arse fell out the rear control and you could toast a tyre in no time.......
Also thought there was a lot of weight on your wrists too......

One owner..... 311,000kms and counting...

2003 Copper SV1000S
Repainted Ford PE (Petroleum Mica)
Yoshi 2:1 collectors and Arrow titanium can...
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 20th October 2020, 03:24 AM
L-Plate Rider

My BIL had a TL 10 years ago, and I had it for a couple of weekends. The thing was CRAZY fast and torquey, and less comfortable than the SV. The SV power is WAY more linear. As some have mentioned, more "user friendly", IMO.

His TL was way tuned and SUPER finicky on start up though, so there was that. I think it had a bad map...
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 20th October 2020, 07:01 AM
Disturbed, very...

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Lubbers View Post
His TL was way tuned and SUPER finicky on start up though, so there was that. I think it had a bad map...

They didn't have an "auto choke", it was a manual choke arrangement..... real prehistoric on a fuel inj bike.....so that made them a bitch when cold....

2003 Copper SV1000S
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 20th October 2020, 09:50 PM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missing Link View Post
They didn't have an "auto choke", it was a manual choke arrangement..... real prehistoric on a fuel inj bike.....so that made them a bitch when cold....

But that was 1997! All of the TLs we sold and that I worked on, all started right up when cold when the starter high idler lever was pulled. That was all it did was roll the idle speed up just a bit... simple, but it worked.

-ms

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 21st October 2020, 03:18 AM
Moped rider

i have both, TLS and SV, i love em both, each of em is dif even engines are similar, TL is sneaky fast, but SV has more punch down low in rpms even SV redline around 11 500 and TL 10 500....TL has bigger valves, less sophisticated ECU, bigger clutch plates...weaker crankshaft...SV is more bulletproof....
TL has more race spirit and less comfort i have on SV gsxr front end+ wheels and fat handlebar conversion so its more comfy and easier to chew miles....they are both fun bikes to ride!
anyway i have no intension to get a rid of em at all...i dontuse em for commute... because nasty drivimers in city and need my truck to haul things.....but i like to use em to take day trips and they truly keep me happy
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 22nd October 2020, 01:29 AM
Disturbed, very...

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
Urbanjungle, have you ever upgraded the rear damper on the TL to the Ohlins heat sink unit, or, there was a retro fit damped spring unit mods getting around...?

Last time i rode one, it was a hot day, the bike went really well, loved the revs, but, half way through the ride, the damper got all gooey and i thought i might get highsided.....
i stuck with though and kept on the gas....but when i fnished the run, which was about 100km (62miles) the rear Dunlop looked like i had done a track day with poor settings....jellied and blued from overheating....

2003 Copper SV1000S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in