Clutch Slave Cylinder - SV1000 Portal

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 26th October 2003, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

I have a qustion for the group. I just received my bike back from warranty work, and have/had a problem with the clutch slipping. After removing the slave cylinder and bleeding the system, it seems much better now. Damn dealer.

I've had this release cylinder off many times in the past, but noticed something this time I hadn't seen before. The two 5 mm allen head bolts were of a different length, differing by about 5 mm. This doesn't seem right.

I've looked high and low in the Service Manual, and it states nothing of the bolt length. My question is this: Anyone else notice this, and if so, which bolt belongs in which hole?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 26th October 2003, 02:27 PM

Yes, they are different lengths. The long one goes on the left, the one with the spacer.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 26th October 2003, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks oldefart...

As I suspected, the dealer had them in backwards; long bolt on the right.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 26th October 2003, 04:13 PM
Mile eater

♂ United States
Charleston, TN
If they f**cked up something as simple as that, can you imaginge them changing your main bearings.

Pretty scary thought, eh?

RIDE NAKED, Sit up and take it like a man!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 26th October 2003, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Want to know somethng worse? I took the bike out today, and the clutch is still slipping badly in first and second. There were absolutely no problems with my clutch when I took it in...

I stopped by the shop today, but the Shop Manager was off for his anniversary. I don't think he'll be happy when he sees me tomorrow. I don't know what the f*ck they did while it was in the shop. I removed the slave cylinder again today, lubed the push rod, re-installed and completely bled the system. Clutch still slips after the bike gets warm. I'm hoping the faulty re-install of the clutch slave didn't screw up my clutch plates. Only 3800 miles on them, no where near worn out, even with the way I ride.

I have a very bad feeling now.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 26th October 2003, 10:18 PM
Mile eater

♂ United States
Charleston, TN
Jim, Did you try to push the piston all the way back in? Maybe it got stuck and it's keeping pressure against the release rod. If you take it back off and try it, make sure you crack the bleed screw with a piece of hose on it. You don't want to over flow the master cyl.

John

RIDE NAKED, Sit up and take it like a man!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 26th October 2003, 10:19 PM

Jimbo, I had exactly the same problem when I was running mine in. When it was warm, I'd open the throttle, and the revs would go heavenwards but with no forward movement - bugger!
But it seemed to settle down just before the first service and hasn't happened since ............... yet!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 27th October 2003, 03:46 AM

You're welcome, jimbo77.

You just can't trust your stealer, er, dealer

It sounds like the slave cylinder is sticking for some reason, not allowing full travel? Like it won't retract all the way.

I don't blame you, I'd be pissed as hell, good luck.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 27th October 2003, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by [email protected] 26 2003, 07:18 PM

Jim,  Did you try to push the piston all the way back in?  Maybe it got stuck and it's keeping pressure against the release rod.  If you take it back off and try it, make sure you crack the bleed screw with a piece of hose on it.  You don't want to over flow the master cyl.

John
John,

I did exactly that. I used a "C" clamp in attempting to push the piston back in, but it didn't move, as if it were retracted all the way. Oddly, it grabs fine till it warms up a bit; the warmer it gets, the more it slips. And the clutch doesn't engage now till the lever is nearly all the way out. I'm no master mechanic, but all these point to worn clutch friction plates to me....
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 27th October 2003, 01:41 PM
Fire Breathin' TLR

♂ United States
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally posted by jimbo77+Oct 27 2003, 07:03 AM-->
QUOTE (jimbo77 @ Oct 27 2003, 07:03 AM)

'99 Totally Out Of Control Yellow TLR
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 27th October 2003, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

The SV is back at the dealer. The shop manager took it for a ride, about 100 feet, turned around, and started the warranty paperwork. He said he doubts it's the clutch because it engages and disengages fine, which isn't usually the case with worn friction plates. He also thinks it has something to do with the slave cylinder. No sh*t, Sherlock...

Quote:
0r the pushrod is bent, and expanding when hot, and not fully retracting.... 
Mark, I checked this out when I had the slave off, but the pushrod is very true. I rolled it along a piece of glass, and saw no run-out.

On a positive note, as he was riding the bike around, I got to hear it for the first time from some place other than the seat. Man does she sound sweet...
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 27th October 2003, 10:24 PM
Highway Biker

♂ England
Milton Keynes
My many years of spannering have always taught me to go simple first, just in case.

Oil level correct ,not too much?
Correct grade of oil for region/ temperature?
Clutch fluid level stayed constant i.e. no leaks,loss or degradation?

Otherwise pester the crap out of your agent and refuse to be sent away with any excuses.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 27th October 2003, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by [email protected] 27 2003, 07:24 PM

My many years of spannering have always taught me to go simple first, just in case.

Oil level correct ,not too much?
Correct grade of oil for region/ temperature?
Clutch fluid level stayed constant i.e. no leaks,loss or degradation?

Otherwise pester the crap out of your agent and refuse to be sent away with any excuses.
All checked. Clutch hydraulic fluid changed and bled. Engine oil has 1700 miles on it with the level right in the middle of the low/high mark. Nothing changed in the bike except it's important to note this problem arose immediately (within 3 miles) of warranty work to replace the countershaft seal.

If I were a betting man, it sounds like a "dealer induced" problem to me. Whatever the case, it's covered under warranty, but I'll be bikeless again
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 27th October 2003, 11:27 PM
rjk
I STILL love twins!

♂ United States
Mukilteo....for a little while longer
Quote:
Originally posted by [email protected] 27 2003, 02:33 PM

If I were a betting man, it sounds like a "dealer induced" problem to me. Whatever the case, it's covered under warranty, but I'll be bikeless again
Of course they will never admit to it. Sad that after you pick up your bike you'll have to check over their work to make sure they put it back together properly. How long will you be bikeless? Shouldn't be too long I'd guess.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 27th October 2003, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Depends on whats wrong with it. If it is the slave cylinder, I'm going to make them take one off a bike on the floor. To hell with waiting on parts like I had to for the countershaft seal.

And actually, I check the work of just about anyone I have to use for warranty or repair work, be it my bike, my cars, or anything I have any knowledge of. It's made me a very well-read individual, to say the least.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in