SV Portal Forums banner

What did you do to your SV today?

1M views 16K replies 966 participants last post by  Pantera93 
#1 ·
I participate regularly in various car forums (mostly VW) and one thread on there really caught my eye: the "what did you do to your ### today?" thread.

Please post here if you rode it to work, took the dust cover off it & washed it, took the engine out, pumped up the tyres, turned on the light & looked at it... etc etc, you get the idea.

So, irrespective what you did to your SV today, post it here. If they're serious mods, please feel free to post them in the "Tweaking, Tuning..." section, but give us a little taster here first!

Hope this works, if so, might it get sticky? The thread, Mr. Rose, the thread! :lol:

#2 ·
I looked at my SV today as I rolled out my Z1000 to ride to work. I have the back end apart and the seat off so I can eventually put my undertail on it. It looked so sad as I haven't ridden her since the fall.:weep: She just doesn't understand that I don't want to expose her to road salt. I'll have to spend some quality time with her this weekend to get her sorted out.

#15,874 ·
Got a buddy south of PDX who's a fair wrench, old-time racer, and still is a Richmond Rambler -- so many of the greats e.g. Bugs Mann, used to cowtrail over those deeply rutted hills that so frequently but me on my posterior. He's built a few cool bikes and that hotrod (next to his wife) was a couple of pieces of steel on a garage floor a few years ago -- his latest bike is in the background.

Should I ask him if he helps with interventions or other ways to make things right between you and your SV?

BTW my poor 77 Z1000 needs some major help. I hope that Squeaks can git er done. I can help with some dummy work.

Attachments

#4 ·
Just installed JimMac's old M4 exhaust, did the TPS mod (45 F'in minutes might I add, that little bastard moves everytime I tightened it), getting ready to install the PC3 but I need a beer at the moment otherwise my neighbor will call the :pcplod: after all the profanity coming out the back door of my garage :angry2:

#6 ·
oldbaldsob said:
I looked at my SV today as I rolled out my Z1000 to ride to work. I have the back end apart and the seat off so I can eventually put my undertail on it. It looked so sad as I haven't ridden her since the fall.:weep: She just doesn't understand that I don't want to expose her to road salt. I'll have to spend some quality time with her this weekend to get her sorted out.
how is the z1000 to ride? there is a prototype z1400, probably will be sold only in Europe:argh:

#7 ·
Forgot to post my own little reply to this :oops:

Installed Kenbarcon's indicators, having snapped my LHS one last summer (flopping all around the place since then)! Bought some Clear Alternatives lenses from Chewy yesterday, so they're my next fit. Sold my single seat cowl to DVS , so off to Canada that flies as we speak!

3rd annual Nurburgring trip booked today too... Apr.28th to May 1st... :supsmiley

Oh, the bike is still as fast as it was before Christmas too.... :devil2:

#8 ·
hoped on it and went to the grocery store, but first I ran my favorite set of curves by the house and beat my best time by 2.3 seconds. Trying to get my suspension set just right for my kind of riding.

#9 ·
I stayed at work last night so I have not seen her in 2 days I have duty tonight so it will be wed. before I can see my beloved SV1000s that is oh and the wife to.

#10 ·
aspeyrer said:
how is the z1000 to ride? there is a prototype z1400, probably will be sold only in Europe:argh:
It's very nice. It has pretty darn good wind protection for a naked bike and I actually prefer its riding position over the naked SV's. Its bars are about an inch closer so I can sit just a bit more upright. It's deceptively fast too. Pretty gutless below about 6,500 rpm but it makes up for it with a ferocious top-end hit by 8,000 rpm. It buzzes a lot if you are over 6,000 rpm and gets about 10 mpg less on the highway than the SV does. I broke in the stock seat so now I don't get monkey butt too badly until about two hours into my ride on it. I have pretty much relegated it to daily commuter duty and except for its 35-40 mpg mileage at 75-80 mph, it's been perfect for the commute. Very nice second bike but of course the SV is far and away my favorite. After our local highway departments quit salting the bridges and overpasses, I'll be on the SV more often than the Z. :niceone: I like the looks of the Kawi a lot and I find most the mockup pics of the Z1400 very appealing. But unless I get super sport liter+ bike, I plan on staying with big twins. Nothing feels like a big twin!:headbang:

#14 ·
the Sv, wel it got started up at 7.30am this morning, warmed up for a couple of minutes whilst i put my wet weather gear on, rolled out of the garage and the journey to work began, 5 mile there, and Its been pissssissting it down all day today, 5mile back home, as always, as it has done for the past 18months :D ,oh yeah, the back wheel stepped out a couple of time's powering on

#15 ·
Just got back from Vegas late yesterday. So, I just gave the SV a quick polish today. That was about it for me and the SV.

#16 ·
Just got done fitting the PC3 but can't ride (raining and cold):crybaby:

#17 ·
paddy2bsure said:
I participate regularly in various car forums (mostly VW) and one thread on there really caught my eye: the "what did you do to your ### today?" thread.

Please post here if you rode it to work, took the dust cover off it & washed it, took the engine out, pumped up the tyres, turned on the light & looked at it... etc etc, you get the idea.

So, irrespective what you did to your SV today, post it here. If they're serious mods, please feel free to post them in the "Tweaking, Tuning..." section, but give us a little taster here first!

Hope this works, if so, might it get sticky? The thread, Mr. Rose, the thread! :lol:
Fitted my colour matched ermax hugger this evening

#24 ·
I spent a couple hours trying to clean crud of unknown origin from the O-ring sealing surfaces that form the hydraulic union between the front brake caliper halves. Was supposed to drop the suckers off for powder coating today but that will be delayed till I get these surfaces clean. Don't want to be messing around with solvents and brushes etc after they get coated.

My pet theory on this is that the crud is little specs of teflon plumbers tape that I used on the bleed nipples. So far I've tried several different solvents and nothing dissolves the stuf but it does seem to get softer when heated with a blow torch - PTFE may be a pretty good guess.

I used the plumbers tape cuz when I was bleeding the system I could never get bubbles to stop coming out. I determined air was being sucked in from the outside through the bleed nipple threads. The plumbers tape cured that problem. I'll try to bleed the system without the tape when I put everything back together.

Attachments

#25 ·
Well, I got the M4 2-1 put on, PC3 mapped and installed (downloaded map so far) and the TPS adjustment. That's the good news. Bad news, went to install my lower fairings, got ready to install the grommets into the lowers and found out the buggers are 2003 BLUE:angry: I think I'm gonna rape my dealer in the tradesmans entrance tomorrow before work.... He sold me a black bike and got me blue lowers:surprise: Hopefully it won't be hard to get this straightened out or the alternative is:

:buggerd: :buggerd: :buggerd: