DougZ, is he okay? - SV1000 Portal

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 31st July 2006, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Forum whore

♂ United States
GA
DougZ, is he okay?

I read about him on SVrider Board.
someone said he went down hard at Virginia International raceway. He's in the hospital.

get well soon man

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Be formless shapeless like water. Now when you pour water into a cup it becomes the cup, you pour it into a bottle it becomes the bottle. Now water can flow or it can crash, be water my friend" - Bruce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 31st July 2006, 10:48 PM
Bike curious

♂ United States
Springfield, MOFO
Garage
That's bad news. Anybody hear how he's doing?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 1st August 2006, 12:35 AM
Mr. Obvious

♂ United States
East Moline, IL
Only heard of rod being put into his femur...and that sounds like it hurts like hell

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 1st August 2006, 03:50 AM
Farmer

♂ United States
Virginia
i'm still waiting for donniej to update the thread on svrider. i was gonna see what hospital they took him to, VIR isn't too far from here. i got to meet doug at vir about two months ago, and again at the rally. i hope he's alright.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 1st August 2006, 09:40 PM
Forum whore

♂ United States
Keep us updated ,looks like the gixr bit him any more into on what happen?

If you love your bike let it go ,if it comes back you highsided.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 20th August 2006, 07:22 PM
Riding the weekeds away.

♂ United States
New Jersey
Thanks for the concern guys. I didn't know this thread existed. I am doing OK....rod in leg...home recovering. Starting PT next week. Track season is over. Hopefully I can get some easy street rides in before season ends.

2003 Suzuki SV1000s,

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 20th August 2006, 07:35 PM
rjk
I STILL love twins!

♂ United States
Mukilteo....for a little while longer
Glad to hear you are OK!! When you feel like it, let us know what happened...if you're up to it.

|
|
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 20th August 2006, 10:39 PM
Riding the weekeds away.

♂ United States
New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjk
Glad to hear you are OK!! When you feel like it, let us know what happened...if you're up to it.
I am up for it. I was doing a track day down at VIR south.....was in the second session......running well....leaving the guys in my class behind. Came around turn 6 on south cuurse, fully leaned over..knee dragging.....I feel the rear slide a bit, get off the gas...next thing I know..I am flying over top of my bike....then it gets fuzzy....but it was a classic highside. Long story short....bruised lungs, broken right femur, messed up left shoulder.....leather burn to left knee....bike was OK.....it was my GSXR 600 track bike..........I spent a week in Danville hospital. Now, home recovering.

2003 Suzuki SV1000s,

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 20th August 2006, 10:42 PM
Bike curious

♂ United States
Springfield, MOFO
Garage
Ouch Doug! Glad to hear you are still with us. Heal fast bro.:supsmiley

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 21st August 2006, 12:28 AM
Crazy Old Foole

♂ United States
Backside of Nowhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ
Thanks for the concern guys. I didn't know this thread existed. I am doing OK....rod in leg...home recovering. Starting PT next week. Track season is over. Hopefully I can get some easy street rides in before season ends.
Sorry to here about the involentary get-off, glad you didn't fare worse. I saw that you had your track bike posted for sale. Is that a must sell? Or an,"Oh well, I need a different one anyway"?

Good luck, heal quick (lucky you're as young as you are), and hope you get that easy street ride in.

99% Of Liberals
Give The Rest A Bad Name

Sweat Dries, Blood Clots, And Bones Heal
So Suck It Up Buttercup!
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 21st August 2006, 12:07 PM
Riding the weekeds away.

♂ United States
New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhair
Sorry to here about the involentary get-off, glad you didn't fare worse. I saw that you had your track bike posted for sale. Is that a must sell? Or an,"Oh well, I need a different one anyway"?

Good luck, heal quick (lucky you're as young as you are), and hope you get that easy street ride in.
I was going to sell the bike at the end of the season anyway....it just ended up being that the broken leg ended my season a month or two early. I am keeping my SV1K and HS Xl for the street, but gonna sell the GSXR and KDX dirtbikes.

2003 Suzuki SV1000s,

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 21st August 2006, 07:23 PM
Forum whore

♂ United States
El Paso, TX
What's the solution for not high-siding when that happens? Read once that when the rear is lost, it's better to engage the rear brake so it doesn't regain traction (so you just lowside). Is this true? And the better question is when do you know you're going down for sure? Maybe 10 from line of travel? Because once you lock up the rear, you're down for sure if bike is sideways.
It gets to the point where the recovery is too violent when losing the rear, and it's better to lowside; wonder what that point is, as even the top racers highside, so it sounds like there's no clear answer. Glad you're okay.

JC
'07 FJR1300A Silver
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 21st August 2006, 07:28 PM
Dynamic Chaos Technician

♂ United States
just a short walk away from Nike Site S-13/14
I have had two nasty hi-sides. In both I did not realize I was in trouble until I was in mid-flight.

R.I.P. J.P. Patches

Once again I find myself trading my heros for ghosts.
Everyday it's getting harder and harder to tell blue skies from pain or a green field from a cold steel rail.

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 21st August 2006, 07:34 PM
Riding the weekeds away.

♂ United States
New Jersey
I think its like Willies says...when its gone, its gone and its too late. Heck, that was the first time I ever even felt my rear slide...and it bit me.

2003 Suzuki SV1000s,

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 21st August 2006, 07:44 PM
Dynamic Chaos Technician

♂ United States
just a short walk away from Nike Site S-13/14
There are two bad things about being catapulted off the high-side.
  1. It happens so fast that you are hosed before you can do anything about it.
  2. You are airborne long enough that you can think about the situation and panic. Both times I freaked and got stiff, and because of that I got hurt worse because I was not relaxed.

R.I.P. J.P. Patches

Once again I find myself trading my heros for ghosts.
Everyday it's getting harder and harder to tell blue skies from pain or a green field from a cold steel rail.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in