Braking upgrading the skill not the parts. - SV1000 Portal
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By oldfart

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12th April 2007, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Forum whore

♂ United States
Braking upgrading the skill not the parts.

First let me give credit were it's due just got my May issue of Sport Rider and their riding skills series is on braking. And it got me to thinking about my time down at Cornerspeed and how my best laps had way more to do with my braking then anything else. Proper body position,setteling the bike by using the rear brake lightly at first and then transitioning to the front gradually increasing pressure till time to tip over and just as gradually releasing the front as lean angle increases and you approch the apex. Being smooth and not giving the bike any bad input to allow all 100 point of traction to be used to get in and out of the corner as quickly as possible. While I used to work on trail braking a couple times a week,I've really not been practicing at all recently except for mountain rides. Practicing good braking technique is probably the most over looked part of sport bike riding and I'm going to make sure I devote a Hr. a week to getting my skills back to where they should be. Any thoughts appreciated.
07blacksv1ks likes this.

If you love your bike let it go ,if it comes back you highsided.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12th April 2007, 04:19 PM

I always look at the suspension.

Springs, specifically.

You fall down when you run out of trail. Braking reduces trail. If you weigh a decent amount, the front springs collapse, then collapse more under braking. Add cornering forces, and the springs collapse more. Even less trail.

Not sure what you have right now, but it can certainly improve your ability to utilize the skills you have and your use of Aaron's ideology of trail braking.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12th April 2007, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Forum whore

♂ United States
I kept looking for suspention to falter, looking for a excuse to upgrade even spoke to Aaron about finding the weak link ( I know the weak link is the rear shock) but I wanted to have a reason for droping 1100 for a new Pensky,and just couldn't find one. Aaron said it might take 5 hr. of one on one to figure out where the susp. could improve. He was kind enough to tow me around for a couple of sessions and said the current set up was dialed in as far as he could tell. I think as riders we are often looking for things to fix a problem and really it is our own lack of concentration or understanding of what we are asking the bike to do. Being smooth in transition, be it on and off the brakes ,or body position setting up for a brake zone or corner,to applying throttle on exit. Practice is the most important thing we can do so the effect we have on the bike is consistent. Track time is the best,but for most of us it is precious. I was stoked heading into this year as a new track was scheduled to open only a hr from my home this spring,then it was pushed back to summer then fall now it's next spring. I was planing 20 or more days riding on the track now I'll be lucky to get 5.So it comes down to being aware of the things we are asking the bike to do and finding places to practice doing if right ,not just being the sack of potatoes on the bike.

If you love your bike let it go ,if it comes back you highsided.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11th July 2019, 04:14 AM
Scooter boy

♂ United States
Brookeville, MD
I also recently saw an article on the mysterious trail braking skill. Thought I'd take the time to figure it out once and for all. Figure out I already do it! Here's my description of trail braking now that I understand in words what my body had already figure out:

There are 2 categories of trail braking - one of which takes a much higher degree of skill and the other which is easy and safe but still allows for cornering faster than the majority of riders. I practice the latter of the two.

Here's my take on the harder and more dangerous type. It's somewhat akin to point and shoot track riding. Speeds are high and threshhold braking is going on. As you begin to turn into the corner you must smoothly moderate off intense braking until you're turned or mostly turned and are ready to get back on the gas. The transition from braking to gassing is immediate. The danger and trick is learning to smoothly transition from thresshold to lighter braking, while leaned over with the forks highly compressed all without upsetting the chassis or overcoming the available traction.

For fast street riding you don't brake as hard, you might even coast a second or two as you approach the corner. You're carrying too much speed to make the corner so you brake smoothly but not heavily as you lean and turn. You brake just long enough to drop down to a speed that allows you to make the corner without taking on a dangerous extreme lean angle. With practice you'll know when to get back on the gas. That might be anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 way into the corner depending on several factors. You can take the same corner in many different ways. Speed way high - just brake longer and allow your momentum to take you further to the outside. Speed moderate - get on the gas early and have the motor push you hard to the outside line. Once you're comfortable braking smoothly while leaned over you have many more options. You're not going to be upsetting the chassis with ham fisted braking.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11th July 2019, 06:47 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
Had it said once, that if you mapped out your ride, brakes, cornering and throttle take up, on a big flat sheet of snow, what would it look like..?

Would it look like a silky slalom run by a skier on a slope, or someone running down the slope in snow shoes.... HA HA

One owner..... 295,000kms and counting... 5k to go....

2003 Copper SV1000S
Repainted Ford PE (Petroleum Mica)
Yoshi 2:1 collectors and Arrow titanium can...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in