No Electrical Power?? Green connector issue! - SV1000 Portal
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.70 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 718 (permalink) Old 26th September 2004, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

United States
CT
Angry No Electrical Power?? Green connector issue!

Would anyone who has had 2003 SV1000,"S" Ignition cut out problems please post them up to this thread. It would be greatly appreciated as this is believed to be the initial cause of my accident. Thanks in advance.

SV1000R
"The scar's remind us the past is real"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 718 (permalink) Old 27th September 2004, 06:12 AM
Fair weather rider

♂ Canada
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
What do you mean by having the ignition cut out? I've had mine stall on me, but only when I'm at idle speed with the clutch pulled and and blipping the throttle.
post #3 of 718 (permalink) Old 27th September 2004, 06:31 AM
Fat & Slow the way to go!

♂ England
Reading, England
I had to have a complete new ignition fitted to my bike as it was shagged! Somtimes the bike woud start, other's it would not, very frustrating. Still it was done under warranty.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ZX10R - In Orange - MIVV GP race pipe, Pazzo Levers, DB screen and HIDs!

post #4 of 718 (permalink) Old 27th September 2004, 12:02 PM
L-Plate Rider

♂ United States
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmeyer
Would anyone who has had 2003 SV1000,"S" Ignition cut out problems please post them up to this thread. It would be greatly appreciated as this is believed to be the initial cause of my accident. Thanks in advance.
When you first sterted having this problem I posted that I had also had a similar issue, however, my problem was a total loss of electrical power, this means no lights, no ignition, no gauges, like if someone had turned off the ignition switch. In fact that is what the dealer found, a conection on the wire harness that goes to the ignition switch, I think it was a faulty connection in a plug in this harness that caused my problem. If I can help you with this and you need more information I can look for the invoice; if I can find it, and see what the technician wrote in as a description for the problem. By the way I hope you are doing better, I saw the picture you posted and all I can say is OOUUCCHH!!!!!!
post #5 of 718 (permalink) Old 27th September 2004, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

United States
CT
This is what im talking about....total elec. failure...no lights no dash no ignition...mine is an intermitant problem...sometimes for a split second sometimes for 5-10 seconds....it was a split second cut out that unsettled my front end mid corner full lean that caused my off. I just need to know how many other bikes have had ignition problems.

SV1000R
post #6 of 718 (permalink) Old 27th September 2004, 01:47 PM
L-Plate Rider

♂ United States
Florida
Quote:
This is what im talking about....total elec. failure...no lights no dash no ignition...mine is an intermitant problem...sometimes for a split second sometimes for 5-10 seconds....it was a split second cut out that unsettled my front end mid corner full lean that caused my off. I just need to know how many other bikes have had ignition problems.
Yep that's what happened to me while making a right hand turn one afternoon on my way home from work, thing is I never got any electricals back, it stayed in failed mode until the dealer found the problem. That was about six month ago, it's been fine after that.
post #7 of 718 (permalink) Old 27th September 2004, 03:03 PM
Moped rider

♂ Canada
Bedford, Nova Scotia
Quote:
I've had my ignition replaced under warranty but I wouldn't classify it as cutting out; it failed once and that was that. I needed a new one.
post #8 of 718 (permalink) Old 6th October 2004, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

United States
CT
Anyone else with an ignition replaced??????????

SV1000R
post #9 of 718 (permalink) Old 7th October 2004, 01:08 AM
wayfasterthanIneedtogo

♂ United States
Nebraska
No ignition cutout but an idea maybe! Maybe it was the tip over switch kicking in that made it die.Suzuki's are famous for that on slower hard corners!

Semper Fidelis!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 718 (permalink) Old 7th October 2004, 03:55 AM
XLR8

♂ United States
The Tundra
I posted a thread regarding the Suz tip over switch some time ago.

IF this is the cause of cut outs we need to know. What did the dealers "fix" on SV'S with cut out issues? There has to be a root cause, we don't need anymore crashes due to engine shut downs mid-corner.

Thanks for bringing this to the fore front Grantmeyer. Hope your feeling better.

When my time has come, I prefer to be in the Saddle rather than the Recliner.

SV1000 FAQ pages and more -
post #11 of 718 (permalink) Old 11th October 2004, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

United States
CT
Just bringing this to the top cause it's got a new thread title....thanks Bish!

SV1000R
post #12 of 718 (permalink) Old 11th October 2004, 04:44 PM
Sunday Driver

♂ United States
Tampa Bay Florida
I had an intermitant starting problem with low miles: no electricity. It turns out that even though the battery terminals were tight and visually looked fine, the cause was corrosion on the negative terminal. I cleaned the connections and lubed with petroleum jelly and the problem has never reoccurred in 4500 miles.

Best wishes,
Dave
post #13 of 718 (permalink) Old 6th November 2004, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

United States
CT
Exclamation Got to the bottom of it!!!!!!!!

Finally got to the bottom of this problem..the connector between the ignition switch and the wiring harness was shorting out causing the ignition cut out. This is in the main pin that feeds the ignition relay and it did not pop the 30A main fuse. See atached pic's Bike going to dealers for a new wiring harness / new ignition switch plus full electrical check up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PB060001.JPG (449.1 KB, 1959 views)
File Type: jpg PB060003.JPG (445.8 KB, 1825 views)
File Type: jpg PB060004.JPG (452.2 KB, 1490 views)

SV1000R
post #14 of 718 (permalink) Old 6th November 2004, 02:29 PM
Scooter boy

♂ United States
Read your crash post, read your ignition post... Hmm, front slide, then you turn the bars a certain way to catch it, which another guy said caused his ignition to cut out, but ended up possibly making you highside...

I'm DEFINITELY not one of these sue happy people, but it occurs to me that if Suzuki doesn't take care of you, you've probably been screwed. You're probably owed a new bike.

Also it would be nice to know if this was fixed on the later bikes.

(I keep having visions of the 1st corner at my track, and having something like this happen when we're all crowded in there... Still haven't bought an SV1000 to race, but it's not looking so good...)
post #15 of 718 (permalink) Old 6th November 2004, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

United States
CT
One other member had the same problem read Twists post in this thread My guess is heat build up because of the location of the connector.

SV1000R

Tags
connector, dead, fried, green, power, recall

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in