Please help with fuel leak! - SV1000 Portal
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 11th April 2009, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ United States
Please help with fuel leak!

Hello members,

I have a 2006 SV1000s with approximately 6500 miles on her. Over the last 1500 or so miles, I have detected a gasoline smell present on start up. Until recently, the origin has gone undiagnosed. That is until about one month ago. I was horrified when I noticed my beloved bike bleeding fuel into a puddle beneath her. All I could see of the origin was that the fuel was running down the galvanized scaffolding between the two throttle bodies.

Last, week I opened her up, removed the airbox, de-paired her, and followed the fuel line from the pump to the TBs. All the connections seemed to be ok and I did not observe any leaks.

Flash forward to this morning, and the leak re-appeared. This time I was able to track it to a 2 inch section of rubber fuel line that connects the two TBs. Fuel appears to be sweating through this line.

My questions are: Is this a common problem with SVs or is it age related? What kind of line can I replace this with (hopefully something more durable). Finally, should I replace the main fuel line from the pump to the TBs while I am inside?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 11th April 2009, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ United States
Ok, more elaborate not. I looked at the fisch and identified the part as the "fuel delivery pipe assembly". The culprit is a rubber line in the center of the assembly that appears to be sweatting fuel. My local shop wants $170 for the entire assembly, but it looks like I can just replace the rubber line and install 2 new hose clamps. Does anyone have any experience with this or know what size hose I need?

D

here is a link to the part schematic. It is the connection in the center of part 10
http://www.bikebandit.com/showschematic/m9775sch510758
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 11th April 2009, 09:42 PM
Forum whore

♂ United States
Erie,Pa
I had the same problem last year. I just took your 2nd option,put a line on to fit with a couple hose clamps. I never thought about the stealer option,$170.!!! No thanks! If I remeber corectly, it was a booger getting it in there,but no problems since.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 11th April 2009, 10:15 PM
Forum whore

♂ United States
Erie,Pa
I don't think the persnal message got back to you,but figured you might check back here. I don't know what size it was. I keep my bikes at my buddy's bike shop and just matched it up.Same with the clamps, just took them out of a drawer of hose clamps.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 11th April 2009, 10:29 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Can't get tha from ere bub...
Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth operator View Post
I had the same problem last year. I just took your 2nd option,put a line on to fit with a couple hose clamps. I never thought about the stealer option,$170.!!! No thanks! If I remeber corectly, it was a booger getting it in there,but no problems since.
+1
That is what I would do as well. I would just get some fuel grade hose from the parts store and some good stainless hose clamps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 SV1000S
Slayer of The Green Connector!
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 15th April 2009, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ United States
Well, fixed the bike today. I had to run back to "Hose Man" because I initially bought 1/4" fuel line and could not get it over the nipples. The correct size for this area is 3/16" for future reference.

I know it has been said before, but that line is a bitch to install. I found the best method was to slip the clamps over the hose once it has been cut to length (2"). Fold the line in half and start to slip it over both nipples at once. Once you get it started, push the center down until the hose seats over both nipples.

Long story short: leak fixed!
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 15th April 2009, 12:04 PM
Pomme wanker

Wales
aberystwyth
mm, both nipples at once!
slatanik likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 15th April 2009, 12:32 PM
"Kiss my Ass"

♂ England
Hunmanby, North East.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstar View Post
as close as i can get to 'this post etc'.

[
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 16th April 2009, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ United States
Quote:
lowest common denominator! Thanks blackstar for restoring my faith in humanity.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 21st June 2009, 04:00 AM
Weekend cruiser

♂ United States
Mine too

yeah i found that studpi two inch hose is leaking my gas too!!! with my big ass hands i will never be able to reach it lol. I am going to have to figure somethign else out thanks
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 24th June 2009, 11:37 AM
Pomme wanker

Wales
aberystwyth
they are damn fiddly - my g/f fitted mine easily tho, find a lass with small hands!

|
|
|
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 24th June 2009, 11:45 AM
55,500 miles and counting

♂ United Kingdom
running out of birthdays fast.
Quote:
find a lass with small hands!
but does she have big nipples ?

My new toy. A 2005 Yamaha MT-01 1700cc torque monster.

DO NOT CLICK THESE LINKS IF YOU ARE A LIMP WRISTED GAY BOY AS YOU MAY BE SHOCKED !!!

post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 24th June 2009, 11:48 AM
Pomme wanker

Wales
aberystwyth
i'll try fitting the hose to 'em

|
|
|
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 24th June 2009, 01:39 PM
55,500 miles and counting

♂ United Kingdom
running out of birthdays fast.
Quote:
i'll try fitting the hose to 'em
Let me know if you need a hand mate.

My new toy. A 2005 Yamaha MT-01 1700cc torque monster.

DO NOT CLICK THESE LINKS IF YOU ARE A LIMP WRISTED GAY BOY AS YOU MAY BE SHOCKED !!!

post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 29th November 2009, 07:24 PM
A #1 Squid

♂ United States
Pictures of the leak, mine started doing it today. Glad I searched this thread up, 3/16" hose you say? Anyone know why they are leaking so commonly?

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p...1129091219.jpg
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p...1129091220.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in