What is up with everyones flywheel magnets? - Page 26 - SV1000 Portal
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #376 of 613 (permalink) Old 17th July 2014, 02:35 AM
Moped rider

♂ Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidt314 View Post
Why do people say this? I have worked at a Honda dealer before and have seen all kinds of bad systematic things with Hondas too. Regulator melting by the dozens, piston rings breaking, camshafts divoting, massive oil burning from new, forks breaking, cranks breaking, machine debris in shocks, clutch hubs coming loose...

-MS
Just on a rant and the Suzuki vs Honda thing was a huge generalization. But the SV in particular seems like a bike with a lot of consistent flaws and design issues regardless of it's age or how you maintain it.

But seriously I'd love to have a guy like you take it for a 20 minute spin and tell me if it feels like I should be taking the thing a apart and checking for factory errors at 6000 miles, or if the feel and vibes are just normal for the ol' v-twin. Too bad you're like 25 hours away.

Either way, stator cover will be coming off to check at next oil change, but as mentioned before I don't know what I'll do regardless of what it looks like..... I decided at 6000 miles I'm not going to take off the clutch cover to look at the primary drive nut and clutch play as it's a lot of work with the oil, coolant, and all, unless someone tells me the vibes in the handlebars are a bit much...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #377 of 613 (permalink) Old 17th July 2014, 12:10 PM
Weekend cruiser

♂ United States
near Charlotte, NC USA
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephv View Post
Yamaha fazers frame crack all over the place but specially around the headstock. Mate of mine is on his third frame and the electrics are far from good.
Two guys in my riding group have R1200GS BMWs- supposedly 'legendary', hundred-thousand-miles bikes, right?

Not hardly! ...both have final-drive issues which can lead to a total failure in 30k miles, one has been back in twice to the dealer (who is an utter douchebag) for rear-main seal leaks. Parts and service are pricey $$$ and I can only guess what the BMW special tools cost.

I'm good with Suzuki... yes, the SV1k has a couple of weak spots but they're within reach of an average hobbyist to fix.

post #378 of 613 (permalink) Old 17th July 2014, 02:46 PM
Forum whore

♂ Ireland
dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejh2854 View Post
Two guys in my riding group have R1200GS BMWs- supposedly 'legendary', hundred-thousand-miles bikes, right?

Not hardly! ...both have final-drive issues which can lead to a total failure in 30k miles, one has been back in twice to the dealer (who is an utter douchebag) for rear-main seal leaks. Parts and service are pricey $$$ and I can only guess what the BMW special tools cost.

I'm good with Suzuki... yes, the SV1k has a couple of weak spots but they're within reach of an average hobbyist to fix.

+5 on that. I wouldn't touch BMW with a barge pole. A mate has got an F800R, it's turning into a rust pile, every metal surface, nut, bolt, fork, frame finish. the lot. forks where pitted in 18 months. it is kept in a heated garage, washed and dried after every ride, the bike is 4 years old and every time you need to talk something off it, we end up having to drill the bolts out.

he doesn't commute on it, it a Sunday toy but he's ashamed of it at this stage and cant wait to get rid of it.

The fact that we take the piss out of if constantly probably doesn't help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #379 of 613 (permalink) Old 17th July 2014, 02:57 PM
I love my SV

♂ United Kingdom
West Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejh2854 View Post

I think it all went wrong with BMW when they started having parts made in China and India...?
post #380 of 613 (permalink) Old 17th July 2014, 06:31 PM
L-Plate Rider

♂ United Kingdom
where can you buy new magnets from in the uk ? is it suzuki stealer only or dont they even do them ?
post #381 of 613 (permalink) Old 17th July 2014, 08:03 PM
L-Plate Rider

♂ United Kingdom
anybody got any good condition magnets they want to part with in the uk for
post #382 of 613 (permalink) Old 2nd August 2014, 09:23 PM
L-Plate Rider

♂ Netherlands
Zaandam
post #383 of 613 (permalink) Old 3rd August 2014, 08:44 AM
L-Plate Rider

♂ Netherlands
Zaandam
All,

Summary of what Iíve read in the forums on loose magnets in the flywheel/rotor:
* It happens to older and newer models, everywhere in the world where those motorbikes were sold.

* It happens mainly to Suzuki Vstrom DL1000 and Suzuki SV1000 models.

* There are cases where it already happend at 18.000 miles (29.000 km).

* There is at least on case where it happened twice, the replacement-part broke down again.

* There is at least one case where it happened during warranty and two times thereafter.

* One repair-shop has dealt with 8 cases, spread across DL and SV models.

* The 2014 model has a new flywheel/rotor with enclosed magnets (a better construction).

* The Suzuki GSX-R and Hayabusa have flywheel/rotors with enclosed magnets (a better construction).

* The TLR1000 is engine-wise the predecessor of the DL and SV. The 1999 TLR model had a flywheel/rotor with enclosed magnets (a better construction).

* Looking at the exact shape of the magnets, it is clear that these were designed to be used in an enclosed application.

* In the US there has been filed a complaint at the NHTSA (savecar.gov, https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml), because there is a chance that it may lead to life-threatening situations.

The response I got from Suzuki in the Netherlands was along the lines of: it is an incident, your bike is out of warranty, tough luck.

However, there is a life-expectancy for a product. I couldnít find it fast, there seems to be a case brought to justice, where a television way out of warranty broke down (burned down) beyond repair. The judge determined that the owner should be compensated, because the average live-expectancy of a quality television-set is 10 years.

Every mechanicÖ actually I think everyone... can understand that only glueing the magnets to the rotor is an inferior construction, compared to one whereby the magnets are enclosed in a way they canít come loose.
Iím trying to get some legal case together to seek for compensation.
post #384 of 613 (permalink) Old 3rd August 2014, 03:37 PM
Forum whore

♂ United States
Sacramento, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoneedsroads View Post
However, there is a life-expectancy for a product. I couldnít find it fast, there seems to be a case brought to justice, where a television way out of warranty broke down (burned down) beyond repair. The judge determined that the owner should be compensated, because the average live-expectancy of a quality television-set is 10 years.
In the U.S. this is a common law concept called an "implied warranty of merchantability" and it exists in every single state in the U.S. as far as I know.
post #385 of 613 (permalink) Old 3rd August 2014, 04:17 PM
L-Plate Rider

♂ Netherlands
Zaandam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Singer View Post
In the U.S. this is a common law concept called an "implied warranty of merchantability" and it exists in every single state in the U.S. as far as I know.
Then it strikes me a bit as odd, that apparently nobody had a claim justified. Because all I've read on the vstrom and sv forums is that Suzuki declined for compensation.
post #386 of 613 (permalink) Old 3rd August 2014, 11:36 PM
Forum whore

♂ United States
Sacramento, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoneedsroads View Post
Then it strikes me a bit as odd, that apparently nobody had a claim justified. Because all I've read on the vstrom and sv forums is that Suzuki declined for compensation.
What, you expected them to say "oh, fine, we're happy to shell out money to repair your bike even though it is out of warranty and you haven't proven that there is a defect that we should be responsible for"?

If you want them to pay to repair this defect for you, one of two things will have to happen.

Either a government body is going to have to force them to do so after receiving a bunch of complaints showing that this is a common, and dangerous, problem (i.e. a design/construction defect rather than a random rare problem.)

Or, someone is going to have to sue Suzuki and show that a bunch of other folks have had this problem.

For either to occur, a lot of folks who have had this problem need to cooperate. This hasn't happened. For instance, to the best of my knowledge only three people have filed a complaint with the NHTSA about this. That's not going to bring about a recall. And it's certainly not enough people to base a class action products liability case on.
post #387 of 613 (permalink) Old 4th August 2014, 09:42 PM
L-Plate Rider

♂ Netherlands
Zaandam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Singer View Post
What, you expected them to say "oh, fine, we're happy to shell out money to repair your bike even though it is out of warranty and you haven't proven that there is a defect that we should be responsible for"?
I understand your scepsis here. Some already tried and failed.

Bottom line still is that they're the ones who chose to apply an inferior part. Basically putting a time-bomb in the bike. Normal wear and tear, everyone would understand that. Clutch-plates wearing out. Pistons and cylinders that need revision on high milage etc. Normal wearing.

According to a poll on http://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...r-magnets.html
It appears not to be so uncommon. And not limited to the SV1000 and.or DL1000.

At least I want to try and see how far it goes. With the money it has costed since the accident I had in 2010 and this "joke", I think I could've bought a second-hand SV.. but the money is gone already.
And just throwing away the bike seems a waste.
post #388 of 613 (permalink) Old 6th August 2014, 03:11 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Coronado, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidt314 View Post
Correct. I am using the 55402 unit
-ms
Just ordered up a 55402 R/R based off Decosse recomendations and the temp readings you posted earlier in the thread. I've not had any problems with my magnets yet and I'm hoping that dropping the temps at the stator will prevent a possible failure down the road. I still might JBWeld between the magnets as an additional preventative measure.
post #389 of 613 (permalink) Old 6th August 2014, 04:42 PM
Moped rider

♂ Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremewlr View Post
Just ordered up a 55402 R/R based off Decosse recomendations and the temp readings you posted earlier in the thread. I've not had any problems with my magnets yet and I'm hoping that dropping the temps at the stator will prevent a possible failure down the road. I still might JBWeld between the magnets as an additional preventative measure.
Has the JB Weld been in use in SVs long enough to be confident with its use? I remember our expert Schmidt questioning its use due to fear of little chunks of it coming off in the engine.
post #390 of 613 (permalink) Old 6th August 2014, 05:57 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Coronado, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpa12threh View Post
Has the JB Weld been in use in SVs long enough to be confident with its use? I remember our expert Schmidt questioning its use due to fear of little chunks of it coming off in the engine.
I believe that there are several forum members that have done the full JBWeld repair and some that have done the partial (putting JB in between the magnets for prevention) and I have not seen any reports of failures or problems from doing this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in