Front and Rear Wheel Removal - Tools Needed? - SV1000 Portal

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 24th March 2011, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ United States
Arizona
Question Front and Rear Wheel Removal - Tools Needed?

I got some new Continental Conti Motion ST tires for my bike. The shop wants to charge me $65 per tire if I have them on the bike. So, I want to take them off and bring them in. I'm not familiar with this process and I was wondering if anyone can list all the tools I'll need to do it? I'd hate to start it only to find I don't have a certain size wrench and have to run all over town to get one.

Also, does anyone have a link to the removal process for both front and rear wheels? I found a link for the SV650 rear, but I know that's not the same as our SV1000. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 24th March 2011, 07:37 AM
Forum whore

♂ Slovenia
Maribor, Slovenija
First get yourself a factory service manual (if you haven't yet) - it's available for download around the net (as PDF files).

As far as I remember only two 'special' tools are needed - a 36mm socket for the rear axle nut and a 24mm hex wrench or adapter.

Other than that you'll need a set of standard metric sockets (10mm for the fork pinch bolts, 12mm for front caliper bolts, 14mm for rear caliper bolts, etc.).

Maybe unbolting the calipers isn't necessary but for me it makes it easier.

Having torque wrenches of appropriate ranges is a good idea for putting it back together.

D.

- Akrapovic bolt-ons
- Desnorkeled
- LSL footpegs for a bit more ground clearance
- home made switchable TRE - not sure if it works though
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- steel braided brake hoses
- EBC ProLite front rotors
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 24th March 2011, 09:39 AM
Moving at the speed of...

♂ Canada
Home now in Wicklewood, Norfolk, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by danci1973 View Post
First get yourself a factory service manual (if you haven't yet) - it's available for download around the net (as PDF files).

As far as I remember only two 'special' tools are needed - a 36mm socket for the rear axle nut and a 24mm hex wrench or adapter.

Other than that you'll need a set of standard metric sockets (10mm for the fork pinch bolts, 12mm for front caliper bolts, 14mm for rear caliper bolts, etc.).

Maybe unbolting the calipers isn't necessary but for me it makes it easier.

Having torque wrenches of appropriate ranges is a good idea for putting it back together.

D.
Plus a paddock stand for the rear and one for the front although you can use a jack under the engine for the front but it is not quite so stable. Don't lose your spacers get a friend to help if you haven't done it before.

Just a grumpy old man. All my opinions are my own and you are free to ignore them, or stick them where the sun doesn't shine!

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 24th March 2011, 04:22 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Massachusetts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
I got some new Continental Conti Motion ST tires for my bike. The shop wants to charge me $65 per tire if I have them on the bike. So, I want to take them off and bring them in. I'm not familiar with this process and I was wondering if anyone can list all the tools I'll need to do it? I'd hate to start it only to find I don't have a certain size wrench and have to run all over town to get one.

Also, does anyone have a link to the removal process for both front and rear wheels? I found a link for the SV650 rear, but I know that's not the same as our SV1000. Thanks!
What you'll want for removal of the front tire(not necessarily need all of them though):

-A metric socket set. You'll need 2 different sized sockets in the range of 9mm to 12mm, but I just can't remember what sizes you need specifically.
-A tub of high quality grease to use for lining the axel housing with(I use Bell Ray for this)
-A 24 MM Hex Key/socket to use for removing the front axel nut
-Rear Stand
-Front Stand or other mechanism of supporting the front end
-Possibly a can of Seafoam Deep Creep to loosen up stuck bolts without shredding rubber seals(like PB-Blaster would)
-A roll of those blue lint-free shop towels
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 25th March 2011, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ United States
Arizona
Excellent! Thanks! I think I have most of everything necessary. I'm definitely going to need the larger sockets for the axel nuts.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 25th March 2011, 11:39 AM
"Kiss my Ass"

♂ England
Hunmanby, North East.
Don't forget when taking off the front wheel to only loosen the right hand side pinch bolts(sat on bike) not the left as this will let the full axle spin. The laft hand side ones hold the round boss which is threaded and acts as a nut.

It is much easier to remove the calipers first and just tie them back away from the wheel, this gives you more room to play with when moving the wheel.

[
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 25th March 2011, 11:14 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Massachusetts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbarcon View Post
Don't forget when taking off the front wheel to only loosen the right hand side pinch bolts(sat on bike) not the left as this will let the full axle spin. The laft hand side ones hold the round boss which is threaded and acts as a nut.

It is much easier to remove the calipers first and just tie them back away from the wheel, this gives you more room to play with when moving the wheel.
A word of advice from me, considering that I just took my front wheel off on Friday..... After you loosen the right hand side pinch bolts, but before you try to loosen the axel nut, you may want to spray a bit of that SeaFoam Deep Creep around the Axel nut. It should seep into the spaces between the axel housing and the axel bolt. My front axel nut would not move when I first tried to spin it, so I sprayed the SeaFoam in there and let it sit for about 10 minutes, and then went at it again and tried to remove the Axel bolt, and it came out like butter.

SeaFoam Deep Creep is safe for plastics and Rubber(unlike PB-Blaster), so you can safely spray it in there without worrying about it getting into your wheel bearings and destroying the rubber seals. Either way, don't spray a ton of it into the axel housing..... just enough to seep in and hopefully break it free if it's starting to stick to the axel housing. It would not be good if too much of it seeped all the way down the axel and into the wheel bearings and started to break down the grease in the bearings.

Don't forget to clean out all the old grease and debris the inside of the axel housing and the axel bolt itself with those lint-free shop towels, and then apply a thin layer of the a high quality waterproof grease to the axel housing and axel(Bell Ray is what I use) before reassembling everything. If you're really ambitious, it's also a good idea to try to repack your wheel bearings while you have the wheels off.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 26th March 2011, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ United States
Arizona
Some great advice! Thanks guys! I'll be collecting all the tools I need tomorrow after work. I probably won't be able to get the tires changed until my next day off since most places are closed by the time I get out of work.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 26th March 2011, 10:01 AM
L-Plate Rider

♂ Ireland
Bray
Be careful not to over tighten the front axle nut; I've just bought an engine off a guy who did, his forks shattered under braking.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 26th March 2011, 10:44 AM
Moving at the speed of...

♂ Canada
Home now in Wicklewood, Norfolk, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glib_Comment View Post
Be careful not to over tighten the front axle nut; I've just bought an engine off a guy who did, his forks shattered under braking.
Amazing. I've seen some cracks developed by people overtightening the pinch bolts, but nothing that dramatic.

Just a grumpy old man. All my opinions are my own and you are free to ignore them, or stick them where the sun doesn't shine!
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 26th March 2011, 01:55 PM
Forum whore

♂ Slovenia
Maribor, Slovenija
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glib_Comment View Post
On the SV!?

D.

- Akrapovic bolt-ons
- Desnorkeled
- LSL footpegs for a bit more ground clearance
- home made switchable TRE - not sure if it works though
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- steel braided brake hoses
- EBC ProLite front rotors
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 26th March 2011, 03:13 PM
Proud Geordie!

♂ England
Born & Bread in The Little Apple!!!
Oh yes i learnt the hard way... undoing virtually everything... wondered why i sat there for ages undoing the spindle...

K3 SV996R in Silver aka White Gold, Accossato +4cm clip ons, SV996R Graffix, Blueflame Evo Burnt Titanium Cans with Baffles Removed, K&N High Flow Air & Oil Filter, Snorkel Mod, TRE, 42 Tooth Rear Sprocket, Ermax Seat Cowl, Rear Hugger, Dbl Bubble Screen & Undertray, Ind. into Headlight Conv, Dark Headlight Covers, Clr rear light with int. indicators with rear indicators removed!

95 Aprilia Pegaso 650 in Racey Red ... Arrow Can, Hagon Shock, High Flow Filters,

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 30th March 2011, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ United States
Arizona
Is there a how-to link somewhere on the removal of the front and rear wheels? I have acquired all of the necessary tools based on everyone's input and I'll be attempting to do this on Saturday. I don't want to mess this up...

Also, as for the grease... I have some Exxon Ronex MP Grease. It's NLGI No. 2 Grade. Is this acceptable for the axles? It says that it's for automotive, industrial, marine and farm use.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 22nd April 2011, 12:27 AM
Oh boy...

♂ United States
Melbourne, FL
Thumbs up

Here's another how-to...

Also goto youtube...they have a bunch...think the poor man tire change or something like that type in...have done several like that. Not bad with a lil practice. Really easy just be patient!

Lemme know how you like the Conti-Motions. Been eyeing a set of them for a long time. Will be my next set of tires. $160+- shipped....um....yea!

EF PIRELLI! J/K

Saugen Sie meine Bšlle!!!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 27th April 2011, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ United States
Arizona
The wheel removal when smoothly for both front and rear. Nothing too complicated about it at all! Next time will be a breeze now that I've already done it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in