Cheap fuel pump :) - SV1000 Portal

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 24th August 2012, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Forum whore

♂ United States
SW Pennsylvania, USA
Cheap fuel pump :)

I just put one of these in the bike. http://www.highflowfuel.com/i-892776...2003-2006.html Seems to be working just fine. At about $68 it sure beats the dealer price. Hah.

This is JUST the pump...of course. So if you need the housing, fuel thermistors or filter/regulator this won't work, but if you just need the pump...this is a good deal. Same pump they use in the late '90's Cobra Mustang...so it should push enough fuel for our little motors.

You must splice in the electrical connectors and the strainer provided won't fit down in the little hole where it lives so you've got to reuse the stock one. Other than those things it is straightforward replacement.

This thing is VERY quiet...so much so that I was instantly worried that it wasn't working until, much to my relief, the pressure gauge snapped up to 44 psi. Pump shut off after priming and is holding 42 psi now for a couple hours so the valving is good. The HighFlow folks say the pump is compatible with E-85 so the ethanol we Yanks get fed in our gas won't hurt it. I haven't ridden it yet as it is late and I'm tired and don't like to rip when not in top shape. This weekend the new pump will get a full workout, but I'm pretty confident it will do the job. Hopefully someone will need a pump sometime and this might save you a few bucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 24th August 2012, 12:32 AM
Scooter boy

♂ Bulgaria
Sofia, Bulgaria
You rock. Thanks for this input, hopefully I won't need smth new anytime soon...

Please forgive me when your smooth reading of the posted above, has been interrupted because of some silly mistakes of mine!Although I've learned the alphabet before my mother's tongue one(Cyrillic), I am suffering practice with native speakers.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 24th August 2012, 01:31 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossen_Bossen View Post
You rock. Thanks for this input, hopefully I won't need smth new anytime soon...
+1

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 8th December 2012, 11:56 PM
L-Plate Rider

♂ Australia
Highflow fuel pump.... continued

Hi guys,
I'm new to this site.

I've just replaced the fuel pump on my SV following the original starting to make a whining noise, and also the bike lacked power as I wound on the power from taking off at the lights.

I replaced it with a Highflow pump unit. It has slotted into the pump housing pretty nicely and the small amount of electrical alterations on the connectors was straight forward also.

I have read that these Highflow pumps are very quiet, to the point that the person didn't know if the pump was operating. After installing mine and priming it up for the first time, I noticed the exact opposite. I think it's bloody noisy!

I am about to take it for a ride and see if it has fixed the "lack of power" issue. Hopefully it has!!

Will get back to you with my findings...
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 9th December 2012, 12:14 AM
I love my SV

♂ United Kingdom
West Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipslats View Post
Hi guys,
I'm new to this site.

I've just replaced the fuel pump on my SV following the original starting to make a whining noise, and also the bike lacked power as I wound on the power from taking off at the lights.

I replaced it with a Highflow pump unit. It has slotted into the pump housing pretty nicely and the small amount of electrical alterations on the connectors was straight forward also.

I have read that these Highflow pumps are very quiet, to the point that the person didn't know if the pump was operating. After installing mine and priming it up for the first time, I noticed the exact opposite. I think it's bloody noisy!

I am about to take it for a ride and see if it has fixed the "lack of power" issue. Hopefully it has!!

Will get back to you with my findings...
Good lad... Keep us up to speed... !!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11th December 2012, 08:42 AM
L-Plate Rider

♂ Australia
High flow fuel pump.... furthered!

Ok, as I said; I'd get back to you re. the Highflow fuel pump.

The good news is, after a lengthy run, it has quietened down to being quieter than the stock.

The bad news is, it hasn't fixed the issue of the power being off?? However, I'm not dissppointed with changing out the pump still as it was definitely on the way out going by the whining noise it was making.

I have chucked a new set of plugs in it just in case the dieing pump's was creating a bad fuel mix for it and carboned up the plugs. The new plugs haven't done jack either!

So this has left me scratching my head.

Basically the bike doesn't like have the throttle cracked up, or wound on in any urgent fashion. It will go up in revs, only if I take it easy. Odd??

I might have to do the ultimate cop out, and give it to Suzuki to hook the computer up to it!! NNooooooooooooooo!!!! I feel defeated!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11th December 2012, 08:46 AM
I love my SV

♂ United Kingdom
West Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipslats View Post
Ok, as I said; I'd get back to you re. the Highflow fuel pump.

The good news is, after a lengthy run, it has quietened down to being quieter than the stock.

The bad news is, it hasn't fixed the issue of the power being off?? However, I'm not dissppointed with changing out the pump still as it was definitely on the way out going by the whining noise it was making.

I have chucked a new set of plugs in it just in case the dieing pump's was creating a bad fuel mix for it and carboned up the plugs. The new plugs haven't done jack either!

So this has left me scratching my head.

Basically the bike doesn't like have the throttle cracked up, or wound on in any urgent fashion. It will go up in revs, only if I take it easy. Odd??

I might have to do the ultimate cop out, and give it to Suzuki to hook the computer up to it!! NNooooooooooooooo!!!! I feel defeated!
Might be an idea to check the TB clamps are tight... !!!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12th December 2012, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Forum whore

♂ United States
SW Pennsylvania, USA
When I changed mine out...it ran better with the new pump but still not 'right'. Turned out the damn fuel filter was clogging up and restricting the flow enough that even the fresh pump couldn't overcome it. You might be looking at a filter....OUCH! They are dear...ridiculously so, but the industrious fellows over at the DL V-Strom forum figured out a way to bypass it and add an external one. I don't know if there is room on the SV for what they did...but might be worth a look. http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-20...ification.html
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 18th December 2012, 12:30 PM
L-Plate Rider

♂ Australia
cheers guys... i appreciate the info.

FYI - my tank was spotless inside and the little intake filter had only a very small amount of stuff on it. The bike has now done over 66,000km's.

I'll try tightening up the TB clamps (good call... thanks for the suggestion). But if that fails, I think I'll pull out the injectors and get them cleaned. 'Tis a good Christmas job!

Will hopefully get to the bottom this soon. Will let you know the issue when I know!

Cheers!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 1st January 2013, 03:35 AM
L-Plate Rider

♂ Australia
rough runner continued...

ok, so I've swapped out the original fuel pump with a Highflow unit, cleaned out the tank filter, put a new set of plugs in it, took out the injectors and gave them a clean out with the carby cleaner method (including operating the injectors and cleaning them at the same time), checked all the TB clamps and bolts for looseness and took the SV for a spin.
Unfortunately all of the above has done zip!! The motor still stuggles to drive and rev from 5500rpm when I wind it on. It sounds very much like the fuel system can't deliver enough fuel from there on up. However, it will rev high still, but not when it is under great load. It will only do it when I gently wind it on.

I'm stuck for ideas now. It could be an electrical issue still... I'm not sure.

I'm going to have to hand it over to the folks at Suzuki I think... sigh.

Any last suggestions anyone??

If not, I'll give you the diagnosis when Suzuki let me know.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 2nd January 2013, 10:47 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
hi Flipslats, I had exactly the same problem. Under load and 100% throttle, the bike would start hesitating at anywhere from 4000 rpm upwards. In the end I took it to a Suzuki mechanic in Melb (Mick Hone) who swapped out the pump for a non OEM unit.

It improved things for a couple of months, but the problem returned. And also there's a noticeable whine again. I am now highly suspicious of the filter. Or the pressure relief mechanism that diverts pressurised fuel back into the tank.

It will be some time before I get a chance to do anything about it, so pls keep us posted! No way do I want to buy an OEM replacement!

cheers,
Mark
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 2nd January 2013, 11:46 AM
Forum whore

♂ Slovenia
Maribor, Slovenija
I also had that problem - for me the solution was a used fuel pump assembly from a SV650 (IIRC 2003-2005 used the same part number assembly). By assembly I mean the whole deal with pressure regulator, filter, ... - not just the electric pump.

I think the bike had about 80k km on the clock then. 20+k km later the replacement pump is still working as it should.

D.

- Akrapovic bolt-ons
- Desnorkeled
- LSL footpegs for a bit more ground clearance
- home made switchable TRE - not sure if it works though
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- steel braided brake hoses
- EBC ProLite front rotors
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 2nd January 2013, 03:30 PM
I love my SV

♂ United Kingdom
West Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by danci1973 View Post
I also had that problem - for me the solution was a used fuel pump assembly from a SV650 (IIRC 2003-2005 used the same part number assembly). By assembly I mean the whole deal with pressure regulator, filter, ... - not just the electric pump.

I think the bike had about 80k km on the clock then. 20+k km later the replacement pump is still working as it should.

D.
Can the original pump not be repaired....?
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 2nd January 2013, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Forum whore

♂ United States
SW Pennsylvania, USA
If you can, try measuring the fuel pressure under load...I think that'll show your problem. The stock filter is paper...and I'm not sure how successful a cleaning can be, so it might still be stuffed up. Your cleaning attempt might also have damaged the regulator which will screw you royally.

It should be a simple thing to just replace the filter if there is the slightest worry that it might be causing a problem...but these things are impossibly expensive. So verifying the problem with the pressure gauge might make you feel better about spending the cash....or source a used complete fuel pump unit to hopefully get the pressure up if that is indeed the cause.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 18th February 2013, 11:59 AM
L-Plate Rider

♂ Australia
Fuel pump issue sorted!!

Finally!! The fuel pump saga is at an end, and I think telling the story may save a few of you a dollar or two and time.

If you read my posts above, you will see that my bike went through all the signs of an engine starving of fuel and a fuel pump on its way out. After doing a lil research, i decided the way forward would be to replace the pump/motor with a Highflow unit bought off ebay.

After replacing the pump with the new one (which fitted easily and nicely), I took the bike for a spin only to find the starving engine syndrome persisting. Following further research, i decided the way forward (again) was to buy the best, cleanest second hand COMPLETE fuel pump assembly off ebay. I got a good looking second handy out of the states delivered to my door (in Aust) for $160.

I swapped out the pumps in an hour and took it for a ride. She's running like new again!! Nice, clean and strong! Absolutely stoked!!

Moral of the story; when you get the same symptoms I've given you, don't bother about just replacing the pump. Replace the whole pump assembly. My tank was squeaky clean inside but obviously the 65k km's of fuel will filter enough crud to block up the system. The lil bit extra spent on the complete unit will save you in the end.

I took the opportunity while it was striped down to give the forks a recond too. Will post you my adventures with that in another post.

Have fun and stay safe!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in