If you have had a rotor/flywheel magnet failure please post it here ! ! ! - SV1000 Portal
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 418 (permalink) Old 3rd July 2013, 04:51 AM Thread Starter
A square wheel rollin' !!

♂ United States
About an hour south of Chicago
If you have had a rotor/flywheel magnet failure please post it here ! ! !

Please post ONLY the information requested. There are a ton of threads talking about this topic, let's keep this nice and clean and down to the facts only.

Randy Singer has been generous enough to offer his services of representing us and bringing our case to Suzuki. All we have to do is get our act together and get the information in one place in an organised fashion.

Please post in the following format:

This is only an example ;

Year of Motorcycle : 2003

Mileage before magnet failure : 10,372 Miles (or Kilometers if that is appropriate)

Was Synthetic , Semi-Synthetic or Conventional oil used ? : Conventional

What brand of oil was used ? : Barnaby's Classic 10W-40

Did the magnet failure cause any injury or further mechanical damage to you or others, or property ? : Ruined stator.

Post pictures if you have any.

Please refrain from any other information unless you think it is an important fact that lead to the failure.

I've contacted the admins over at SV Rider and Stromtroopers ( a DL forum) , and made posts over there describing what we're trying to do and linking to this thread. Also asked them to let me know of other SV or DL forums or to contact the other forums admins about this. Hopefully we can all get together and make something happen ! Cross your fingers guys/gals ! ! !

Thanks......................Blake

I saw Yig. Or he saw me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 418 (permalink) Old 3rd July 2013, 05:16 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Young Harris, GA
2003 SV1000S
Approx 22K miles at original replacement-Second rotor had a loose magnet at 41K(epoxy'd it back in place.)
Rotella Synthetic
http://www.sv-portal.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29523
Keep me posted-good luck

88 mustang [email protected] my old friend
in the 60's, people took acid to make the world strange. now the world is strange and people take prozac to make it normal
Mods: yoshi 3/4 2-1 stainless, gbauto tre & undertail, pcIII(dadmun map-thanx), 17-42 sprockets, pair mod, woodcraft clipons, de-snorkel, motosliders, penske, K7 750 gsxr front clip, galfer brake lines/ebc gfa pads. gsxr radial m/c.
post #3 of 418 (permalink) Old 3rd July 2013, 08:01 AM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Bike 1

Mileage before magnet failure : 36,000 Miles

Was Synthetic , Semi-Synthetic or Conventional oil used ? : Conventional Honda GN4

Bike 2

Mileage before magnet failure : 24,000 Miles

Was Synthetic , Semi-Synthetic or Conventional oil used ? : Conventional Multiple brands

Bike 3
Year of Motorcycle : 2004

Mileage before magnet failure : 38,000 Miles

Was Synthetic , Semi-Synthetic or Conventional oil used ? : Synthetic Motorex Power Synt 4T
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2004_SV1000_Magnet_Failure.JPG (699.9 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg 2003_SV1000_Magnet_Failure.jpg (674.6 KB, 176 views)

post #4 of 418 (permalink) Old 3rd July 2013, 08:56 AM
Forum whore

♂ United States
Sacramento, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilist View Post
Please refrain from any other information unless you think it is an important fact that lead to the failure.
I think that there is other information that we could use.

Brand of oil is one.

It would also be very helpful if anyone could point out any other brands/models of motorcycles that have their alternator magnets glued on with nothing mechanical securing them in place as in our bikes.

Has anyone had their motorcycle stop running while they were riding and traced the problem to slipped magnets? Or worse, has anyone been hurt due to this problem?

Basically we need to be able to show that this is a defective design. It would be helpful to show that the brand/type of oil that folks used was or was not contributory to the problem arising. And if we could show that this problem puts riders at risk of bodily injury, getting the NHTSA to issue a recall might be possible.
post #5 of 418 (permalink) Old 3rd July 2013, 10:03 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Scotland
Scotland
Garage
Also, could any external factors contribute to these failures, like the ambient air temperature? Meaning it wasn't properly designed for its operating environment.
post #6 of 418 (permalink) Old 3rd July 2013, 12:22 PM
Knowledge is Horsepower

♂ United States
Moneyapolis, MN
Garage
Talking

I looked at my L2 DL650's rotor and it has metal enclosed around the magnets. I bought a used K9 Gladius rotor and it has exposed magnets.

My SV's magnets are fine so far....Exposed magnets.

And I have only used Suzuki 10w-40 motor oil. No synthetic oil ever.

Just FYI
post #7 of 418 (permalink) Old 3rd July 2013, 01:50 PM
I love my SV

♂ United Kingdom
West Kent
On my 2004 Spare engine approx 16k miles ...1 magnet has come adrift...Not sure what oil has been used before I got it... Bloody Suzuki do need to do something about this besides burying there corporate heads in the sand..also not forgetting the Green connector problems..!!!....
post #8 of 418 (permalink) Old 3rd July 2013, 07:28 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
ashland, mo
Year: 2006

mileage of failure: Approx 24,xxx

Type of oil: Synethic

Brand of oil: multiple types

Other damages: Stator failure (magnets damaged windings)

Pictures:
 photo IMG_0418-1.jpg
 photo IMG_0419-1.jpg
 photo IMG_0420.jpg
post #9 of 418 (permalink) Old 3rd July 2013, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
A square wheel rollin' !!

♂ United States
About an hour south of Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Singer View Post
I think that there is other information that we could use.

Brand of oil is one.

It would also be very helpful if anyone could point out any other brands/models of motorcycles that have their alternator magnets glued on with nothing mechanical securing them in place as in our bikes.

Has anyone had their motorcycle stop running while they were riding and traced the problem to slipped magnets? Or worse, has anyone been hurt due to this problem?

Basically we need to be able to show that this is a defective design. It would be helpful to show that the brand/type of oil that folks used was or was not contributory to the problem arising. And if we could show that this problem puts riders at risk of bodily injury, getting the NHTSA to issue a recall might be possible.
I've amended the original post to include the extra info.

...........................Blake

I saw Yig. Or he saw me.

post #10 of 418 (permalink) Old 4th July 2013, 12:34 AM
I love my SV

♂ United Kingdom
West Kent
Seem's to be pointing in the direction of fully synthetic oil causing the grief... ???
post #11 of 418 (permalink) Old 4th July 2013, 12:53 AM
Forum whore

♂ United States
Sacramento, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt View Post
Seem's to be pointing in the direction of fully synthetic oil causing the grief... ???
I think that we have way too little information at this point to draw a conclusion. Plus we have folks who report having slipped magnets without having used synthetic.

It does make sense that, since it is unlikely that Suzuki tested their glue (used to hold on the magnets) with every brand and formulation of oil, that one or more types of oil might be causing an unforeseen problem.

But we would need a statistically relevant sample to make that argument.
post #12 of 418 (permalink) Old 4th July 2013, 01:55 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
North Carolina

Mileage before magnet failure : 38,000

Was Synthetic , Semi-Synthetic or Conventional oil used ? : Synthetic

What brand of oil was used ? : Amsoil 10W-40 for wet clutches

Did the magnet failure cause any injury or further mechanical damage to you or others, or property ? : Not sure yet, don't have bike apart.

Post pictures if you have any.
Don't have bike apart yet.
post #13 of 418 (permalink) Old 4th July 2013, 02:04 PM
Forum whore

♂ Slovenia
Maribor, Slovenija
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Singer View Post
I think that we have way too little information at this point to draw a conclusion. Plus we have folks who report having slipped magnets without having used synthetic.
And at least one that's never been using anything but synthetic oil in 100000+ kilometers, but hasn't had magnet issues.

I did stick to one brand, though... Mostly.

D.

- Akrapovic bolt-ons
- Desnorkeled
- LSL footpegs for a bit more ground clearance
- home made switchable TRE - not sure if it works though

- steel braided brake hoses
- EBC ProLite front rotors
post #14 of 418 (permalink) Old 4th July 2013, 02:14 PM
Forum whore

♂ Ireland
dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt View Post
pictures on post no8 tell it all.
All magnets but one slipped clean of with not a trace of glue residue on flywheel.
post #15 of 418 (permalink) Old 4th July 2013, 10:47 PM
Forum whore

♂ United States
Sacramento, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephv View Post
pictures on post no8 tell it all.
All magnets but one slipped clean of with not a trace of glue residue on flywheel.
Yes, thanks, that's really telling.

If it turns out that a bunch of folks who had the problem are using the same oil, it should be possible to hire an expert and have them do something like take a sample of Suzuki's glue, soak it in that brand of oil for a while, and see if it disintegrates. They might even be able to videotape the process.

The expert testimony should be invaluable.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in