SV Portal Forums banner

Have Gsx-r forks, should I swap?

7K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  John Kollars 
#1 ·
Hi there, been lurking here for some time but now I need some input from the more experienced sv crowd. I bought my 07 1000S in late july this year. A couple of weeks before that I aquired a gsxr750(k1) frame with complete front and rear end for cheap(it was basically a steal), the plan was to put the gsxr front on my project bike; a 78 Suzuki GS750, and I did.
But then I bought the SV and read all about the gsx-r conversion and how awesome everybody says it is but I've looked, and I've measured and compared the two and I've ridden the SV hard and the SV1000 fork is a pretty good fork isn't it? It's pretty beefy and fully adjustable. Is it really worth the work to swap forks on my two bikes?

The GS looks pretty good with the usd forks, but a part of me thinks that it should have the SV forks, both to make it look more period correct, and looking at retro musclebikes like the XJR1300, GSX1400, CB13000 and the Kawabunga ZRX1200 they all pull it of with the rsu forks. And besides the SV forks would be a substantial upgrade over the stock GS forks anyway and the i doubt the GS would be able to utilize the full performance of the gsxr forks...
Also, the SV is a sportbike, usd forks looks better on it. And I have a spare handlebar and risers lying in my garage so I could do the superbike bar conversion easily.

what are you're thoughts on this? This issue has been nagging me ever since I bought the sv :p
Sorry for the long read, here's pics to make up for it :)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I wouldn't bother with GSXR forks unless your SV forks are damaged. Simply re-working your SV forks is a lot less expensive, and the performance gain of GSXR forks over properly set up SV forks is insignificant. You're far better off saving the money that you'd spend on GSXR forks (and setting them up), and put it toward a good rear shock.

#8 ·
The older GSXR forks are too short. Even the k4/5 GSXR forks are a bit short, which is why there are extenders available for the 600/750 Showa forks.
Rick: I sense a contradiction here. You advise against swapping the OEM Suzuki SV-1000 forks for inverted (GSXR) forks but in another thread you are looking for a set of the latter.

How's that? What am I missing??

Ralph
No contradiction. I damaged one set of SV forks when I cut bambi in half, and built a bike from a bare frame, both of which were recipients of K6 750 forks. At one time I put a set of older forks on my naked, but went back to stock for a number of reasons.

A lot of my information and experience with suspensions and geometry were the result of trial and error. I'm just trying to save others from making the same mistakes that I already have.

#4 ·
I put " made to measure " Maxton rear shock on mine, £525 delivered and set the front forks up to match the rear after putting fresh 05w oil in them, 500cc per leg and its incredible.
I,m 225 lbs by the way,

#9 ·
Longhair does hate USD fork swaps...

That doesn't make the stock setup less worse. But considering it is a 7 year old bike, the oil in the forks won't resemble oil anymore and the rear shock won't have much nitrogen pressure left in it, plus contaminants in the oil... IOW, servicing it will make it less sucky.

IMHO, the rear shock is what sucks the most about the OEM setup. I'd clean the hell out of the forks, add new synth fork fluid, proper set of linear springs (for your weight) and a new rear shock. A Penske double clicker works better than a triple clicker shock from a newer super sport.

#10 ·
Longhair does hate USD fork swaps....
I don't "hate USD fork swaps", but what I've found through rigorous testing is that it's money poorly spent if not done out of necessity.

The best way to fly is as you (Tod) have expressed. Proper weight straight rate springs, proper amount of correct quality oil, appropriate valving, and replacement of the total crap rear shock.

Improving the front end by any means will serve to make obvious the deficiency of the rear shock, so you might as well include some sort of improvement of the rear suspension right from the start. A high end shock can cost as much as you'd spend on the negligible improvement you'd get from a GSXR fork swap set up right, and along with sensible stock fork mods will be heads above a slapped together compromise of assorted GSXR stock parts.

#12 ·
I was in the same position as you and could have done this for really cheap. I decided it wasn't worth the bother and improved the forks I had. You'll never get this bike close to a nice super sport that rails on the track no matter what you spend so (don't believe me, ride a stock Aprilia 1000 R model) I decided to maximize what I own. Nicer looks and potentially better front brakes are very enticing however.

#19 ·
Hello there!

All of a sudden I got a couple of people trying to sell me some forks now, the first one is a motorcycle breaker who's coming to pick up a bandit parts bike I have for sale. He has 03 gsx-r 1000 fork tubes.

+Can get them cheap, probably swap them even for the bandit or get some money inbetween.
+Can get fork extenders
+Radial calippers
+Can use my 750 upper/lower triple.
+can retain my current sv1000 wheel/brake setup.
+with 50mm extenders, can mount clipons above tripple to retain stock handlebar height.

-Needs caliper spacers to retain brake setup.(But easily made)
-Even shorter than my current 750forks
-Fork extenders are 440AUD :eek:
-Might end up more or just as expensive than the 09 unit.

The other guy is one I contacted some time ago about some 09 750gsxr forks but they where too expensive. Now he has contacted me because he needs them gone so price is debatable. It's fork tubes with calipers, still awaiting an answers on if the lower triple is included.

+ correct length(+4mm longer?) to retain steering geometry without extenders
+radial calipers
+can retain stock sv wheel brake setup.
+better forks than the k3 1000?

-will need extenders to fit clipons above triple or need other clipons(tarozzi hi-rise f.ex) to retain SV bar height.
-expensive(but will be offset by the sale of the bandit and 750forks)
-If not including lower tripple, new(used) must be bought or 1mm spacer ring must be made to use current k1750(53mm vs 54 on the other forks)

I think I covered most of it now. What do you think?

#22 ·
The GS looks pretty good with the usd forks, but a part of me thinks that it should have the SV forks, both to make it look more period correct, and looking at retro musclebikes like the XJR1300, GSX1400, CB13000 and the Kawabunga ZRX1200 they all pull it of with the rsu forks. And besides the SV forks would be a substantial upgrade over the stock GS forks anyway and the i doubt the GS would be able to utilize the full performance of the gsxr forks...
http://www.sv-portal.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=94554&d=1418983263

:rofl: That GS is never going to look period correct anyway.
Besides, once you get the right shock on that new swingarm you might be surprised at how well the USDs work with it.

If you really are bent on putting USDs on the SV, and if you want to see any benefit at all from your effort, then stop thinking about using odd old bits you have laying around. Get a K6+ 600/750 complete front end with the axle (sans the wheel) and go from there. Not only are they long enough, but they will allow you to reduce unsprung weight via going to Yamaha monoblock radial calipers.

#24 ·
Appreciate the logic. Having raced a bit back in the day, I'd guess that the majority of riders can't feel or take advantage of higher spec suspension bits unless they're on the track (I certainly can't get close without endangering innocent civilians...). Having just picked up a BEAUTIFUL SV1000S (last night in fact), I think I'll get my customary "old man" bar risers on and just enjoy that engine and the sound that goes with it.

Reactions: Masta' C
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.