• 1 Post By schmidt314

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 24th August 2015, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Alameda, CA
Garage
Tank compatability

I came across a supposedly perfect tank off a 650 for $200, in blue. It's hard to find nice tanks...

What will I have to swap to make it work? I'm guessing fuel pump but don't know...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 24th August 2015, 03:51 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Coronado, CA
Should be a direct swap of the fuel pump and tank cap. Check to see if it's a 49 state tank or a CA tank tho. The CA tank will have the extra nipple on the bottom for the EVAP hose coming off the left side, closest to the fuel pump. If there is no nipple, just and indentation, then it's 49 state.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 24th August 2015, 05:21 PM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
I came across a supposedly perfect tank off a 650 for $200, in blue. It's hard to find nice tanks...

What will I have to swap to make it work? I'm guessing fuel pump but don't know...

What year 650 tank and what year is your bike?

2003 SV1000S, 2003 SV650, and 2003 SV650S used a slightly different tank due to sub frames.

Any other tank outside listed above will go onto any GenII 650 or any 1000. But a tanks from the above list is slightly different where the tank and subframe come together. I recall on race bike using a 2X4 and a hammer to "adjust" an 03S tank to fit on an 05 chassis.

-ms
xtremewlr likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 24th August 2015, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Alameda, CA
Garage
Interesting, I didn't realize the tanks were at all different.

Not sure on the year. My subframe is custom so it may or may not interfere with an 03 tank... he lists it as an 03 but it has an S rather than saying Suzuki. My bike is 06.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 24th August 2015, 09:04 PM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
Interesting, I didn't realize the tanks were at all different.

Not sure on the year. My subframe is custom so it may or may not interfere with an 03 tank... he lists it as an 03 but it has an S rather than saying Suzuki. My bike is 06.

If the tank has letters to spell Suzuki it is an 03 tank.

04 tanks have the S sticker but is cleared over and very thin.

05 and up tanks have a thick stand off kind of S on the tanks that is more like a badge.

-ms
xtremewlr likes this.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 24th August 2015, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Alameda, CA
Garage
That's what I thought. Here's a picture:

http://images.craigslist.org/00s0s_7...n0_600x450.jpg
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 24th August 2015, 09:48 PM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
That's what I thought. Here's a picture:

http://images.craigslist.org/00s0s_7...n0_600x450.jpg

That looks like a 2004 SV1000S tank. Only year of that color. The 2006 blue was slightly different and had the different S badge. I don't think any 650s ever used that color.
-ms

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 24th August 2015, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Alameda, CA
Garage
Thanks for the info, you sure seem to be able to remember just about everything about SV1000s. Does $200 seem reasonable if it's in great shape?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 24th August 2015, 11:50 PM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the info, you sure seem to be able to remember just about everything about SV1000s. Does $200 seem reasonable if it's in great shape?
That price seems OK, but I have not bought or sold a used tank in years now.

-MS

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 16th May 2020, 06:21 PM
L-Plate Rider

♂ Greece
I am in a similar conundrum sins my 2003 1000s came with a bent tank that silts crooked on the frame due to the front mounts being bent, haven't had the tine to see if i could straiten them, tho to tell the truth i would rather get a used one in better condition. So to recap only from the same year 650 tanks will fit on mine?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 16th May 2020, 11:32 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Downunder
Quote:
Originally Posted by garazd View Post
I am in a similar conundrum sins my 2003 1000s came with a bent tank that silts crooked on the frame due to the front mounts being bent, haven't had the tine to see if i could straiten them, tho to tell the truth i would rather get a used one in better condition. So to recap only from the same year 650 tanks will fit on mine?
I believe any year tank will fit an 03 bike, but 03 tanks will not fit any other years without a bit of fiddling.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 16th May 2020, 11:47 PM
Bike curious

♂ United States
Springfield, MOFO
Garage
Check out this thread: https://www.sv-portal.com/forums/4-s...tml#post390902

Two of my favorite posts here on the SV Portal are by Chainsaw Willie!
and
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 17th May 2020, 04:13 PM
Scooter boy

wow, tought they are all same but seems they are not.
i have 03S and it has repaired dent on side, not very pretty but im able to live w it so far, and somehow came across yellow 650 gas tank wo any dents i bought for future swap/repaint , its yellow as parrot feathers and has small S on it.
if i understood it right 03S wont fit anything only 03S and the rest will fit 03S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in