tires, tyres? - SV1000 Portal
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 17th March 2016, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Moped rider

♂ United States
NY, Brooklyn
tires, tyres?

I'm in NYC, I am not looking for the most expensive rubber or the lowest price, I want the best bang for my buck Tire. I don't ride much in the rain, mostly on the street and highway. so at this point what should I get for the back and front of my SV1000s ? It's an 06 if that matters. Again< I do not want to pay top dollar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150905_025142.jpg (509.1 KB, 33 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 17th March 2016, 01:52 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Coronado, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by zolar View Post
I'm in NYC, I am not looking for the most expensive rubber or the lowest price, I want the best bang for my buck Tire. I don't ride much in the rain, mostly on the street and highway. so at this point what should I get for the back and front of my SV1000s ? It's an 06 if that matters. Again< I do not want to pay top dollar.
So far, best bang for the buck for me has been the Pirelli Angel GT. I've got one on the rear right now that is at the 7000 mile mark and is probably good for another 2000. The front is a Pirelli Rosso II and is done so I'm changing both out this Friday for the Angel GT front and rear this time. I expect to get about 9000 miles out of the set. 98% of my riding right now has been commuting 40 miles round trip per day on the freeway. No problems there. I've done a few canyon rides and again had no problems with the Angel GT. They warm up fast and stick good. Do pretty well in the rain too the few times that I got caught in it.
tonyt likes this.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 17th March 2016, 03:08 AM
Weekend cruiser

♂ United States
Oklahoma
I have Mich Pilot 2's on my bike, BUT I'm gonna replace them soon with some Shinko 009 ravens.

My buddy has a set on his Busa and he has been very impressed with them. He likes them better than his previous Bridgestone Battlax (I think was the brand/type). I wasn't familiar with the Shinko name and he told me they kind of get made fun of in the sportbike world from tire snobs...lol...Or used to anyways... We have horrible roads around here so we need a good balance of soft/hard with decently aggressive pattern.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 17th March 2016, 04:21 AM Thread Starter
Moped rider

♂ United States
NY, Brooklyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremewlr View Post
So far, best bang for the buck for me has been the Pirelli Angel GT. I've got one on the rear right now that is at the 7000 mile mark and is probably good for another 2000. The front is a Pirelli Rosso II and is done so I'm changing both out this Friday for the Angel GT front and rear this time. I expect to get about 9000 miles out of the set. 98% of my riding right now has been commuting 40 miles round trip per day on the freeway. No problems there. I've done a few canyon rides and again had no problems with the Angel GT. They warm up fast and stick good. Do pretty well in the rain too the few times that I got caught in it.
Good to know TY
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 17th March 2016, 04:21 AM Thread Starter
Moped rider

♂ United States
NY, Brooklyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by czombie View Post
I have Mich Pilot 2's on my bike, BUT I'm gonna replace them soon with some Shinko 009 ravens.

My buddy has a set on his Busa and he has been very impressed with them. He likes them better than his previous Bridgestone Battlax (I think was the brand/type). I wasn't familiar with the Shinko name and he told me they kind of get made fun of in the sportbike world from tire snobs...lol...Or used to anyways... We have horrible roads around here so we need a good balance of soft/hard with decently aggressive pattern.
We have some bad roads here as well.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 17th March 2016, 04:29 AM
Forum whore

♂ United States
SW Pennsylvania, USA
Even better tire from Shinko is the 011. SHINKO 011 VERGE RADIAL STREET TIRES - American Motorcycle Tire

Only a few dollars more than the 009 and a hell of a lot better tire. My last two rears went almost 6500 miles...which is excellent and compared to the Michelin PR2's that came off at 5000 it's a heck of a 'bang for the buck' tire.

I tried an 009 Raven a while back and it's not anywhere near the tire the 011 is. Was bald by 4500 miles and was the only tire up to that point that I could spin up with just throttle on dry road. The 011's hook much better.
czombie likes this.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 17th March 2016, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Moped rider

♂ United States
NY, Brooklyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecoilRob View Post
Even better tire from Shinko is the 011. SHINKO 011 VERGE RADIAL STREET TIRES - American Motorcycle Tire

Only a few dollars more than the 009 and a hell of a lot better tire. My last two rears went almost 6500 miles...which is excellent and compared to the Michelin PR2's that came off at 5000 it's a heck of a 'bang for the buck' tire.

I tried an 009 Raven a while back and it's not anywhere near the tire the 011 is. Was bald by 4500 miles and was the only tire up to that point that I could spin up with just throttle on dry road. The 011's hook much better.
9 sets of tires at that link. what is the set {size} do I need? sorry I'm a NewB
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 17th March 2016, 12:10 PM
Forum whore

♂ United States
Sacramento, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by zolar View Post
I'm in NYC, I am not looking for the most expensive rubber or the lowest price, I want the best bang for my buck Tire.

There is a really nice sport tire comparison test here:

2015 Sport Motorcycle Tire Shootout - Motorcycle USA

The test showed that the Continental Sport Attack 2 gives quite good performance for a reasonable price.

However, the Shinko 010 Apex, the lowest priced tire in the test (half the price of some of the other tires), offers acceptable performance. See:

Shinko 010 Apex Comparison - Motorcycle USA
D.T. and darryl like this.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 17th March 2016, 12:52 PM
Forum whore

♂ United States
SW Pennsylvania, USA
SHINKO VERGE 120/70ZR-17 M/C (58W), FRONT

SHINKO VERGE 180/55ZR-17 M/C (73W), REAR

These people are good to deal with....at least my tires have all been fresh and promptly delivered. Notice the prices! Compare the 009 anywhere else and these 011's are very close or even cheaper...good deal.

One warning: The 011 handles VERY quickly...especially compared to the Michelin PR2, which is the only other front tire I've run for comparison. With the PR2 the bike would fight to stand up HARD when using the brakes in a corner, while the 011's are totally neutral with no tendency to stand up. This is a feature I like. And....they handle well even when worn and really don't change very much at all despite having the tread thinned down with lots of miles. The PR2 got weird when worn, and the transition from upright to cranked over in a corner was not solid when they had some miles on them.

I keep telling everyone about the 011's...but almost nobody has tried them as of yet on the forums! Oh well...a good thing for me keeping a good thing to myself. Remember that Shinko makes some of Continental's tires for them...so they can make a quality product. Some like to bash them...'I had a Shinko and it was terrible'..OK. Bet $100 it wasn't the 011. Good luck.
czombie likes this.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 17th March 2016, 02:43 PM
Knowledge is Horsepower

♂ United States
Moneyapolis, MN
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Singer View Post

The test showed that the Continental Sport Attack 2 gives quite good performance for a reasonable price.

However, the Shinko 010 Apex, the lowest priced tire in the test (half the price of some of the other tires), offers acceptable performance. See:

Very nice. Watched the tests. No wonder track guys spend so much money on tires.

Anyway, I like Bstone T30 tires. I go for mileage and performance. Value is good too. Like the Shinko 705's for my DL.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 17th March 2016, 04:43 PM
Weekend cruiser

♂ United States
Oklahoma
Quote:

Oh cool....I didn't even think to check out the 011's but like you said the reviews are great on the forums. Many people prefering them over many of the more expensive brands.

011's it is...
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 17th March 2016, 09:26 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
kentucky
tires, tyres?

FYI, i had PR2's and they were good in rain and dry, i felt every pebble in the road, a very wooden ride but never a slip till about 11,000miles then they got lumpy and slippery, at 13,700 miles i changed to PILOT ROAD 4's. MUCH better tire. Very soft ride, sticky, neutral cornering currently at the 5000 mile mark they are just starting to show a bit of flattness in the center. Mainly i think because ive gotten better at wheelies and do it way more than i should

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 17th March 2016, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Moped rider

♂ United States
NY, Brooklyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Singer View Post

wow great info, TY
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 17th March 2016, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Moped rider

♂ United States
NY, Brooklyn
Quote:
SHINKO VERGE 120/70ZR-17 M/C (58W), FRONT

SHINKO VERGE 180/55ZR-17 M/C (73W), REAR

These people are good to deal with....at least my tires have all been fresh and promptly delivered. Notice the prices! Compare the 009 anywhere else and these 011's are very close or even cheaper...good deal.

One warning: The 011 handles VERY quickly...especially compared to the Michelin PR2, which is the only other front tire I've run for comparison. With the PR2 the bike would fight to stand up HARD when using the brakes in a corner, while the 011's are totally neutral with no tendency to stand up. This is a feature I like. And....they handle well even when worn and really don't change very much at all despite having the tread thinned down with lots of miles. The PR2 got weird when worn, and the transition from upright to cranked over in a corner was not solid when they had some miles on them.

I keep telling everyone about the 011's...but almost nobody has tried them as of yet on the forums! Oh well...a good thing for me keeping a good thing to myself. Remember that Shinko makes some of Continental's tires for them...so they can make a quality product. Some like to bash them...'I had a Shinko and it was terrible'..OK. Bet $100 it wasn't the 011. Good luck.
good to know, TY
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 18th March 2016, 11:00 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Mexico
Mexico City, Mexico
I love the Shinko 011, it is my go-to tire.

I've crunched the numbers and the 011s come ahead of tires like the PR4s in terms of miles per $$, and I like them too. In my experience they "only" last about 2/3 of what a PR4 does, but they are about half the money! Handling is neutral and grip is awesome. The only "downside" is that they don't have any thread in the middle, so there is not much to warn you of wear. But unlike other tires that show no signs of wear and suddenly the cords are out, the 011 does give a warning when the rubber starts changing color.
zolar and coldsalt like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in