Holy crap! SV1000 number 4 for me! - SV1000 Portal
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 21st July 2018, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
Bike curious

♂ United States
Springfield, MOFO
Garage
Icon15 Holy crap! SV1000 number 4 for me!

Stumbled across a 2006 SV1000S in Oort Gray Metallic with only 844 miles on it so of course, just had to have it! Low mileage SV1000s are quickly becoming pure unobtainium!

In the ad, the guy said he put a "high flow fuel pump on it" so I immediately thought that the original fuel pump got clogged with rust from sitting with a low fuel level for years. Sure enough, a little rust in the tank that I could see but that means there's probably a lot more I couldn't see.

So my plan will be to get rid of the rust and the high flow fuel pump, coat the tank with POR or something similar, and put the fuel pump from my wrecked bike in it to see if that fixes it. The injectors probably need to be cleaned too. The bike idles and runs great until around 5500 rpm and higher then it really stumbles and runs poorly with poor gas mileage. But other than that, the bike is mint!

The first pic is when I picked it up and put it on my Mototote. I took the exhausts for transport to lighten the load a bit.

After I got it home, I immediately put on my 2 Bros CF exhausts because of course appearance is the most important thing!

It'll be a nice little project while I wait for all my parts to rebuild my crashed '05.

001.jpg 002.jpg 004.jpg 005.jpg
D.T., slatanik and arrvilss like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 21st July 2018, 11:24 AM
L-Plate Rider

♂ Australia
Far North Queensland, Australia
Great looking SV mate - well done!
oldbaldsob likes this.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 21st July 2018, 12:37 PM
Scooter boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbaldsob View Post
Stumbled across a 2006 SV1000S in Oort Gray Metallic with only 844 miles on it so of course, just had to have it! Low mileage SV1000s are quickly becoming pure unobtainium!

In the ad, the guy said he put a "high flow fuel pump on it" so I immediately thought that the original fuel pump got clogged with rust from sitting with a low fuel level for years. Sure enough, a little rust in the tank that I could see but that means there's probably a lot more I couldn't see.

So my plan will be to get rid of the rust and the high flow fuel pump, coat the tank with POR or something similar, and put the fuel pump from my wrecked bike in it to see if that fixes it. The injectors probably need to be cleaned too. The bike idles and runs great until around 5500 rpm and higher then it really stumbles and runs poorly with poor gas mileage. But other than that, the bike is mint!

The first pic is when I picked it up and put it on my Mototote. I took the exhausts for transport to lighten the load a bit.

After I got it home, I immediately put on my 2 Bros CF exhausts because of course appearance is the most important thing!

It'll be a nice little project while I wait for all my parts to rebuild my crashed '05.

Attachment 114549

Attachment 114551

Attachment 114553

Attachment 114555
Sweet Bike!
oldbaldsob likes this.

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 21st July 2018, 12:40 PM
Knowledge is Horsepower

♂ United States
Moneyapolis, MN
Garage
Cool

Cool Russ.

That cobalt color is pretty rare. I like it, would be my second choice to red.

Filters should catch most of the junk to the injectors. I had to do the bypass last year and send out the injectors for rebuilding. You should be able so see how much rust through the fuel pump hole. Cheap gas and some kinda SS screws may scrub the rusty gunk out.

I had a oil ring fail on the rear cylinder and rebuilding that now so it's down for repairs. I got a near perfect cylinder head with all the parts off a K6 from fleabay for $36 shipped! The cam cap stripped out last year.
oldbaldsob likes this.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 21st July 2018, 01:10 PM
Crazy Old Foole

♂ United States
Backside of Nowhere
She's a beauty Russ!
oldbaldsob likes this.

99% Of Liberals
Give The Rest A Bad Name

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sweat Dries, Blood Clots, And Bones Heal
So Suck It Up Buttercup!
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 21st July 2018, 01:17 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
kentucky
Very nice

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
oldbaldsob likes this.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 22nd July 2018, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
Bike curious

♂ United States
Springfield, MOFO
Garage
Thanks for the kudos fellas! I'm just so dang excited about it!

Took the fuel pump out of my crashed '05 SV (after much cursing which always helps me to improve my mechanical aptitude). Some old gas came out of the fuel line after I disconnected it and more old gas came out of the fuel pump itself after I shook it a bit. I guess that's a good sign. I started using ethanol-free premium gas in it a couple of months before I crashed it since there's a station with it just up the road from me. Hopefully, there won't be any varnished fuel to worry about clogging things up in the pump. After I get the tank on the '06 sorted, I'll just pop in the fuel pump and see how it runs. Hopefully that'll fix it up just fine.

post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 22nd July 2018, 06:44 PM
Mile eater

♂ United States
Charleston, TN
Holy Crap

Damn Russ. Nice find. That should keep you busy for a while.
oldbaldsob likes this.

RIDE NAKED, Sit up and take it like a man!
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 23rd July 2018, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Bike curious

♂ United States
Springfield, MOFO
Garage
Took apart the fuel pump from my '05. The pre-filter looked great!

Let's see, I bought that bike new in May, 2006 and crashed it in October, 2014. It had about 23,000 miles on it when I crashed it so that's just under 3,000 miles per year. So the bike sat quite a bit! I attribute the cleanliness of the pre-filter to keeping the gas tank full whenever I put it away. I didn't always use premium gas either. I used mostly good old, cheap 87 octane with whatever amount of ethanol in it. So IMHO, just keeping the gas tank full will keep your fuel system clean (at least it did in my case).

So I just sprayed out the the pre-filter from the inside with carb cleaner. Got all the old gas out of the internal filter housing and rinsed it out with carb cleaner. I'll put it all back together tomorrow and then tear into the tank on my '06.
Fuel Pump 2.jpg

post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 24th July 2018, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Bike curious

♂ United States
Springfield, MOFO
Garage
Took the tank off my '06 and removed the fuel pump. Actually, it doesn't look as bad as I was expecting. Certainly nowhere near as bad as some of the pre-filters I've seen elsewhere on this site. But I'm pretty sure this is the cause of my '06's problems. Big chunks of rust on the pre-filter.

The fuel pump itself had quite of bit of rust residue all over it and there is evidence of corrosion I'm assuming is from water related to ethanol from untreated gas during long-term storage. One of the bolts was loose on the fuel pump too. So I blasted the pre-filter and inside the inner filter housing with carb cleaner and sprayed a little ACF-50 on the corroded area and wiped it down. I'll put it back together tomorrow. Since the tank I bought from Chefmatt will have a fuel pump with it, I'll just add this to my rapidly growing extra parts pile.

06 fuel pump 1.jpg 06 fuel pump 2.jpg06 fuel pump 3.jpg 06 fuel pump 4.jpg 06 fuel pump5.jpg
07blacksv1ks likes this.

post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 24th July 2018, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
Bike curious

♂ United States
Springfield, MOFO
Garage
The tank had some big chunks of rust in it too as you can see below. I siphoned most of the gas out using a syringe and a saline line from some dialysis blood lines I got from work. I made a little weight to get it down right next to the fuel pump and got all but about a cup of gas out then managed to get that out with a different and big syringe. While I was getting the final volume of gas out, a big chunk of rust (shown in the pic below) plugged up my syringe.

Now to clean out tank. I think I'll try some phosphoric acid as described by hsla4340 here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gas tank 1.jpg (528.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg gas tank 2.jpg (287.5 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg gas tank 3.jpg (520.0 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg gas tank rust.jpg (954.4 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg gas tank rust 2.jpg (503.6 KB, 25 views)

post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 24th July 2018, 02:12 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Mexico
Mexico City, Mexico
Yes, keeping the tank full is important to avoid rust, specially with ethanol blended fuel. Alcohol is hydroscopic, so it will absorb moisture from the air. After some time it will absorb enough water that it will separate from the gas and you'll get a layer of water under the fuel, rusting the bottom of the tank and the fuel pump.
oldbaldsob and 07blacksv1ks like this.
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 25th July 2018, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Bike curious

♂ United States
Springfield, MOFO
Garage
Stripped the tank with the phosphoric acid described in the thread I linked to in my last post. This stuff worked great! After the first treatment, I took my tank to a car wash and power washed it out really well. Quite a bit of rust-colored water came out initially. Then I did another phosphoric acid treatment followed by rinsing with distilled water. Then I fogged the tank with ACF-50. I'll put her back together tomorrow with a tank full of fresh premium ethanol-gas and we'll see what happens.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Phosphoric acid 01.jpg (554.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Phosphoric acid 02.jpg (619.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Phosphoric acid 03.jpg (399.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Phosphoric acid 04.jpg (624.4 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Phosphoric acid 05.jpg (540.9 KB, 21 views)
D.T. likes this.

post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 26th July 2018, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
Bike curious

♂ United States
Springfield, MOFO
Garage
Well, took the bike on a 150 mile round-trip shakedown run from Springfield, MO to Joplin, MO. The bike ran damn good on the way to Joplin. Did several WOT sprints and for the most part, it ran a LOT better. There was still just a wee smidge of hesitation at WOT but then it went away quickly and I was over the ton before I knew it. I was thinking the injectors just needed some Seafoam since it was just barely hesitating at WOT. All in all, I was feeling pretty damn good about the bike.

Stopped in Joplin for some water and to admire the beauty that is our SV. Only stopped for maybe 25 min. Got back on the bike and fired her up and hit the on ramp to I-44 to head home. Then all of a sudden the bike acted just like it did before I cleaned the tank/fuel pump. Really bogging down at WOT and surging constantly at about 5,000 RPM and above. SHIT!!! Talk about being mad!
Possibly there was some rust in the deep, dark recesses of the tank that I didn't get with my quickie phosphoric acid job.

First, I think I'll check the plugs and make sure everything is seated in the spark plug holes, no frayed wires, etc. If that doesn't cure it, I'll take the tank off again and check it and recheck my fuel pump pre-filter screen. My hope it's just more rust and if that's the case, I'm going to REALLY strip that tank down and then seal it with POR or something similar. Hopefully it's either more rust or problems with spark.

If anybody else has any thoughts, I'm all ears!
pw-ear.jpeg

post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 26th July 2018, 02:10 PM
Knowledge is Horsepower

♂ United States
Moneyapolis, MN
Garage
Need to check the fuel flow. I went through all this BS.

I did an injector service thread in TTT, check there.

Or I'll do it for you..

https://www.sv-portal.com/forums/5-t...r-service.html
oldbaldsob likes this.

Tags
fuel filter, fuel injector, spark, stumbling, tank rust

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in