Recommended Aftermarket Levers & Radiator ?? - SV1000 Portal
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Zippy1776
  • 1 Post By vic_bitter

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 2nd August 2018, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

Garage
Recommended Aftermarket Levers & Radiator ??

So, I crashed my bike, It's a 2003 SV1000S K3 and I have the mechanical know-how and tools to rebuild her. Plus I love her and I don't want to let her go to the grave. I went down because of some sand / gravel in the road, in a turn, that I didn't notice until it was too late. My front fairings are all torn up, lights, levers and Radiator are all busted, etc. I've decided I'm not going to give up on her. I'm going to rebuild her. I have been looking around and have found a great many things, but I would really like the input from you experienced SV gurus here. I will post pics as soon as I can. I am planning to make her into a thrasher / stunt bike to fool around on. I have already found a few different versions of frame / engine cage that I will eventually go for. I'm going to do cage, sliders, and any kind of other bars that seem sensible to me. Before you start tearing into me for the "stunting" thing please understand that I have no intentions of trying to do wheelies at speed in traffic or any insane stuff. I mainly want it to be able to take a tumble like it did this time without getting completely bashed up like it did this time. When I do mess around on it, it's gonna be in large parking lots. I'm too old to go crazy out in traffic.

I need the following parts and I'm open to suggestions on changes and alterations. She's scratched up and ugly now, so I'm no longer worried about appearances with her.

- Radiator - BikeBandit.com wants upwards of $550 and everything else I have seen for $100-200 is utter garbage so far. Any recommendations on where I can get a replacement radiator that's not a crappy aftermarket one would be great. I would be open to a quality aftermarket one, but the ones I have seen so far have been reviewed to be worthless. Also, nothing from madhornets.com. I already saw what they have to offer and checked scam reports and they're listed as heavily shady / fraudulent. How does one go about finding used parts for motorcycles? For cars I would just call around junk yards, but I don't ever remember seeing many bikes. Where do we look for bike stuff? Also, feel free to tell me to just bite the bullet and spend the $550 on a new OEM radiator. I need the most reliable solution and I'm already thinking the OEM one. Maybe I just need to hear it from people wiser than me, I dunno.

- Both levers for front brake & clutch - I'd like to get a matching shorty set. The OEM levers weren't bad, but they got ripped off. The brake lever is there, but the round dowel / puck it mounts to on the pivot-point has wallered out the hole in the lever from it bending and I no longer trust it to stay because it has inches (plural) of vertical play on the lever now. The clutch and brake master cyl bodies all appear to be servicable. Neither resevoirs have broken or leaked, so if I can do just levers I would like to try. What products do y'all gurus recommend?

- Rear brake lever - The foot lever for the rear brake is bent up really bad now. With this being how it is along with a prior bend on my left side peg mount I want to go with a whole rear-set replacement. What's a good durable brand to use? It doesn't have to be all street-race fancy. I'm more interested in quality and durability.

- Finally: Head Light & Gauge Cluster - The front fairing is all torn up, so I've ditched the plastics. The back half of the light assembly has the bottom two mounting tabs broken. It appears that I can disasemble the light shell and replace just the back and then the fairings, etc. Is this the best choice to go OEM again though? I'm entertaining the thought of just going with a single light setup like the SV1000 has in place of the SV1000S fairing and sport bike look it had as OEM. With the S version's fairing sub-frame still being in great shape is it worth it to just ditch it and change it up for SV1000 style front, or should I just take it all the way back to OEM for the S? The gauge cluster is in perfect condition as far as I can tell. Right after the crash, my friend i was riding with was able to upright it and start it, but I had to go in the ambulance to get checked out. With the clutch switch I know it had the clutch lever at that point or he wouldn't have been able to start it. I think that the tow company or impound yard caused more of this damage than the crash did. Anyways because he was able to start it, I'm fairly certain that the rest of the bike is in operable condition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 2nd August 2018, 12:18 AM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Send the radiator to Mylers for repair if it is not just completely crushed.

Be careful using any aftermarket lever of unknown brand. They can not fully release the master pistons and cause brakes to drag and crash, or on the clutch side pressure builds and causes clut slip.

Vortex or Woodcraft for rearsets is a good choice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 2nd August 2018, 12:51 AM
Bike curious

♂ United States
Springfield, MOFO
Garage
Sorry to hear about your off but I'm glad you're still kickin' and wanting to rebuild. Post up what you're needing in the "wanted to buy" area of the forum here: https://www.sv-portal.com/forums/37-want-buy/. Good luck!

edit: Racing 905 makes some nice crash protectors. I bought mine on eBay but I think Revzilla might still have some. I like them because they have 2 mounting points on our frame's engine bolts. Plus, they cater to stunters.

edit again: nope, Revzilla is out but Racing 905's website has them available: http://racing905.com/catalog/suzuki-...-06-p-293.html

close up.jpg WP_20180801_20_11_30_Pro.jpg

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 2nd August 2018, 08:36 AM
L-Plate Rider

♂ United Kingdom
sunderland tyne and wear
i have chinese levers on mine which i paid £26 for,better quality than i thought,they are extendable and fold 90 degrees and have sv1000 on the blade.mine are blue and black
as for a radiator,i'd go 2nd hand ebay more than likely
good luck and i hope you never crash again
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 2nd August 2018, 01:50 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Alameda, CA
Garage
Regarding stunting: I don't think the oil pickup on the SV1000 is in a very good place for long wheelies.

Levers: I know that ASV used to sell refurb lever sets for a decent price - less than a single new lever got you both. I don't know if they still do.

Rearsets: I don't know of any cheap options other than China crap. If you're willing to spend the money, Woodcraft are excellent quality.

Headlight: I prefer naked.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 5th August 2018, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidt314 View Post
Send the radiator to Mylers for repair if it is not just completely crushed.

Be careful using any aftermarket lever of unknown brand. They can not fully release the master pistons and cause brakes to drag and crash, or on the clutch side pressure builds and causes clut slip.

Vortex or Woodcraft for rearsets is a good choice.
- Thanks for the info Schmidt. fI found some levers that work at my local Cycle Gear. The guy there uses the exact same levers on his Busa and has for some time, even saw for myself because he had it parked out front. So, I'm copnfident in these levers. As for the rtradiator I will definitely send it off for repairs, thanks for pointing me at Mylers, I checked them out and they look like the best option. I also found out that the Radiator still holds coolant, so even though it's bent up all to hell, it's still usable, just ugly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbaldsob View Post
Sorry to hear about your off but I'm glad you're still kickin' and wanting to rebuild. Post up what you're needing in the "wanted to buy" area of the forum here: https://www.sv-portal.com/forums/37-want-buy/. Good luck!

edit: Racing 905 makes some nice crash protectors. I bought mine on eBay but I think Revzilla might still have some. I like them because they have 2 mounting points on our frame's engine bolts. Plus, they cater to stunters.

edit again: nope, Revzilla is out but Racing 905's website has them available: Race Armor Sv1000s 03-06 - 03-SV1S-RA - Suzuki - Race Armor - for Suzuki - Lightweight Armor Designed
- Thanks a ton! Those protectors are exactly whasst I had in mind. I still need to extract a broken engine bolt on the front mounting point for the right side one, but once I do, I'll definitely be going for those. Also thanks for the point at the WTB section. I'm having a hard time finding the front fairing replacements I need, so I'll try there too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
Regarding stunting: I don't think the oil pickup on the SV1000 is in a very good place for long wheelies.

Levers: I know that ASV used to sell refurb lever sets for a decent price - less than a single new lever got you both. I don't know if they still do.

Rearsets: I don't know of any cheap options other than China crap. If you're willing to spend the money, Woodcraft are excellent quality.

Headlight: I prefer naked.
- Thanks for the info Junkie, I've been looking and I like the Woodcraft rearsets. Once I've got the fairing situation under control and I can start fixing non-critical parts I'm going with them.
oldbaldsob likes this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 6th August 2018, 08:24 PM
Scooter boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy1776 View Post
- Thanks for the info Schmidt. fI found some levers that work at my local Cycle Gear. The guy there uses the exact same levers on his Busa and has for some time, even saw for myself because he had it parked out front. So, I'm copnfident in these levers. As for the rtradiator I will definitely send it off for repairs, thanks for pointing me at Mylers, I checked them out and they look like the best option. I also found out that the Radiator still holds coolant, so even though it's bent up all to hell, it's still usable, just ugly.

- Thanks a ton! Those protectors are exactly whasst I had in mind. I still need to extract a broken engine bolt on the front mounting point for the right side one, but once I do, I'll definitely be going for those. Also thanks for the point at the WTB section. I'm having a hard time finding the front fairing replacements I need, so I'll try there too.

- Thanks for the info Junkie, I've been looking and I like the Woodcraft rearsets. Once I've got the fairing situation under control and I can start fixing non-critical parts I'm going with them.
Sorry to hear about your bike, just burnt up the trans in my great '05...I have a lot of parts in good shape if you need them on the cheap, and every OEM bolts as well... let me know.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 6th August 2018, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefmatt View Post
Sorry to hear about your bike, just burnt up the trans in my great '05...I have a lot of parts in good shape if you need them on the cheap, and every OEM bolts as well... let me know.
Hello Chef, I'm definitely interested. What would you want for the whole front clip. Fairings, windshield, trim, all of it minus the subframe and instrument cluster? Also, can you PM me to see if maybe it will let me reply. I'm not yet "active" enough to send PMs to people.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 26th June 2019, 12:59 PM
Bike curious

♂ United States
Springfield, MOFO
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinbrown2937 View Post
Thanks for the nice writeup.... I have to purchase a towing trailer for my bike looking for best and reliable trailer also have to use that for Manhattan 24 Hour Towing.

I would recommend NOT clicking on the above link. martinbrown2937 has been just copying and pasting posts, probably trying to get his post count up so he can send PMs. Definitely a spammer. Post reported.

There is no frequent admin presence on this site anymore so be warned.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 26th June 2019, 06:26 PM
L-Plate Rider

♂ United States
Hemet, CA
Whatever rearsets you get, don't get "racing" rearsets.
The previous owner put some on my 05 and have checked out some others. "Racing" rearsets aren't set up to activate the rear brake light.

It's a pain, sometimes, when you just want to flash the rear brake light, to not be able to use the rear brake. Also, sitting at a stop light with my foot on the brake, knowing that the brake light is NOT on, is a little scary. :-)
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 26th June 2019, 09:51 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Downunder
Quote:
Originally Posted by menaudi View Post
The previous owner put some on my 05 and have checked out some others. "Racing" rearsets aren't set up to activate the rear brake light.

It's a pain, sometimes, when you just want to flash the rear brake light, to not be able to use the rear brake. Also, sitting at a stop light with my foot on the brake, knowing that the brake light is NOT on, is a little scary. :-)
Just get an inline pressure switch, no adjustment required.
Missing Link likes this.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 28th June 2019, 12:56 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
I bought on eof these radiators for mine.... the tanks are welded together....I scuffed the whole thing with a pad and then painted it satin black with heat proof paint....
Once the end covers are on, it look pretty trick..... and shit they are cheap.....

I have had the oem copy lookalikes before, and they are terrible....with the miles i do, they dont last very long....holes appear, brackets come off....

This fabricated version is heaps tougher...proper welds

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Aluminum...item2a302d5e1c

I might no' be a smart man Jenny....but i can pain' ma copper colored bike a dif'ren color.....
2003 Copper SV1000S
Repainted Ford PE (Petroleum Mica)
Yoshi 2:1 collectors and Arrow titanium can...
One owner..... 292,000kms and counting...
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 28th June 2019, 01:51 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Alameda, CA
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by menaudi View Post

More of my bikes have had a switch for front only vs both.

about the only time I'll use rear only is for dirt... or I guess for starting on an uphill
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 30th June 2019, 02:41 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Mexico
Mexico City, Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missing Link View Post
I bought on eof these radiators for mine.... the tanks are welded together....I scuffed the whole thing with a pad and then painted it satin black with heat proof paint....
Once the end covers are on, it look pretty trick..... and shit they are cheap.....

I have had the oem copy lookalikes before, and they are terrible....with the miles i do, they dont last very long....holes appear, brackets come off....

This fabricated version is heaps tougher...proper welds

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Aluminum...item2a302d5e1c
My experience with the OEM lookalikes is the same; worthless crap. When I was rebuilding my 07 into a naked one I weighted them and there was a marked difference in weight compared to the OEM.

The "fabricated" ones you linked are... Good if you are able to make it fit. The one I got would have required some grinding and welding to get it to fit.

I ended up buying a replacement OEM one and never had any issues with it.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 30th June 2019, 11:59 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
I had no issues fitting my fabricated version..... only thing was that the top mount tabs were wide by about 10mm so i just put a 5mm washer against the bike frame...no probs....
Asthetically, i gave the tanks welds a little smoothing where it would not be covered by the OEM end covers....

One thing that i immeadiately noticed though, the bike runs cooler, at least 15 degrees (celsius) in most cases......
Whether the alloy they have used sheds heat better, or if there is more surface area on the core tubes....i dont know....

Anyway, my experience is good with this radiator....... i am never gonna pay the OEM price, it is so far beyond reasonable its not funny

I might no' be a smart man Jenny....but i can pain' ma copper colored bike a dif'ren color.....
2003 Copper SV1000S
Repainted Ford PE (Petroleum Mica)
Yoshi 2:1 collectors and Arrow titanium can...
One owner..... 292,000kms and counting...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in