1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cruze

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 19th August 2018, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ Australia
Sydney Australia
F1 Error code

Does anyone have a definitive answer as to what the F1 error code is about?

My bike was running a bit jerky the other day so I decided to check the plugs to see what condition they were in, turns out they nice and clean even though they were at least 5000 kilometers old now, anyway, I put the plugs back in and now I am getting an F1 error code on my dash and the bike is not starting up as it should.

The error code shows up when I turn the bike on and disappears when I start it up.

Tomorrow I am going to buy some new plugs and see if that helps because the code showed up after I checked the plugs.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 19th August 2018, 11:58 AM
Forum whore

♂ United States
Virginia
I had the same thing happen to me after I changed the plugs. Eventually it fixed itself .

"Hypocrisy isn't the Republicans' weakness. It's their platform" - Seth Myers
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 19th August 2018, 08:35 PM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Put the bike in diagnostics mode to see what the actual code is.

-ms

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 20th August 2018, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ Australia
Sydney Australia
Ok... put in some new plugs and changed the air filter, air filter was 16,000 klms old and a little dusty.

The bike starts up really well now although itís still showing the F1 error code until I start her up. A trip to the garage to get the diagnostics done will be the next effort.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 20th August 2018, 04:54 AM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ Australia
Sydney Australia
Took the bike for a run and new plugs and air filter have made the bike run like a new one, awesome.

The F1 error code was still on the dash so I did the dealer mode trick with the highly technical paper clip and came up with the reading -C00 which states I have no defective part. Guess I have to ride the bike as normal and see what happens.

Thanks for the assist
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 20th August 2018, 02:07 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Alameda, CA
Garage
the light will always be on when you turn the key but haven't yet started the bike, that's normal
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 20th August 2018, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ Australia
Sydney Australia
The F1 symbol never showed up until I changed the spark plugs the other day, no matter, checked out ok in the end.

Next drama, picking some new tyres.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 20th August 2018, 09:16 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Downunder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
the light will always be on when you turn the key but haven't yet started the bike, that's normal
X2........
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 21st August 2018, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ Australia
Sydney Australia
Well I've had 5 SVs now, a 650 cvurvy, 2 650's gen 3 and am presently on my 2nd Gen 3 1000 and this is the first time I have ever had an F1 show up on my dash, anyway glad it is nothing at all.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 22nd August 2018, 03:01 AM
Bike curious

♂ United States
Springfield, MOFO
Garage
Here are pics of my '06's display:

The top pic is the display immediately after turning the ignition on.
(I've circled the "FI" display in yellow)

The bottom pic is the display after the fuel pump primes.

(ignore the black tape...there was a melted place inside the display and that's my fix. )

display ignition on.jpg

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 22nd August 2018, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ Australia
Sydney Australia
Yes I know what the FI looks like. I rang up Suzuki and told them the situation and they said that the FI error code is supposed to show up when you turn on the ignition just to confirm that the code is working and it will go off when the bike starts up, that being said this is the first time in 10 years of riding SV's that this light has come on.

I am not crazy, well maybe sometimes but not in this instance, but moving on...
shamless likes this.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 25th May 2019, 03:44 AM
L-Plate Rider

♂ New Zealand
Invercargill, New Zealand
Garage
I had a similar problem today, except, every time I turned the bike off, it wouldn't start but after the 3rd try, I would turn the bike off and then turn it back on and it would start, and there would be a pic of F1 with an oil can above it and the oil light would flash, even though there's plenty of oil in it, just wondering if it does this when it needs fresh oil, filters, etc.

You are exceeding the limitations of my medication
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 25th May 2019, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ Australia
Sydney Australia
Hi FF,

the FI and the oil can symbol still show up when I turn on the ignition so I am going to say that is normal, however, me thinking I had a major problem previously I put the bike in diagnostic mode and it turned out I did not have a problem. Putting the bike in diagnostic mode is not difficult if I can do it anyone can do it.

https://www.sv-portal.com/forums/5-t...de-access.html

If I were in your situation I would first of check the plugs and replace them $20 well spent.

I would also check the battery and I am no expert in this area but I would look up how to check the regulator, I am sure there is some info on that one on this site. My regulator died on me when I was out riding about 40 klm from home and it was a major pain but shit happens, you live and learn. so check out the regulator soon.

If the oil looks like shit then by all means change it but your problem does sound electrical.

I would also lift the tank and look at all the plugs to see if they are sitting right and all the wires are properly connected.

Not sure how old your bike is but the plastics can burn out over time, SVs can get notoriously hot.

Let me know how you go, electrical problems are not easy to ties down.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in